request for Rangoon battle flow info(no Lars)

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

godochaos

request for Rangoon battle flow info(no Lars)

Post by godochaos »

I'm Allied
I'm on my 3rd PBEM game and my previous opponents were either timid or quit early and as a result I have never lost Pegu or Rangoon. My current opponent is great, and is very conscientious. He just conquered Singapore at the end of January 42' and is probably on his way up to Rangoon.
I know I cannot dream of holding Rangoon this time. I have about 3 ftr sqrns and minor bombers, a few misc Bn's, and about 3 divisions of Indian and Burmese troops.
I need a general idea of the flow of what happens as he comes north. Like if Im not going to hold Rangoon then where do I want to hold?
I have the Aussie division all loaded up and on the way.
I guess for now I'm envisioning holding Prome and Toungoo, but im worried about being flanked.
Just need a little glance at a sort of generic crystal ball.
One last thing, he is very good about massing and focussing air power, like 100+ bombers with 50 fighters.
Its January 28th 42'
Thanks all!
Andav

RE: request for Rangoon battle flow info(no Lars)

Post by Andav »

Canoerebel's Burma defense

Starting on post 778 (or earlier since Canoerebel is a very good Allied player), you get some screen shots of how to defend. Canoerebel put together a very tough nut for the IJA to crack. I would try to do this in the future if I played the Allies.

Wa

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: godochaos

I'm Allied
I'm on my 3rd PBEM game and my previous opponents were either timid or quit early and as a result I have never lost Pegu or Rangoon. My current opponent is great, and is very conscientious. He just conquered Singapore at the end of January 42' and is probably on his way up to Rangoon.
I know I cannot dream of holding Rangoon this time. I have about 3 ftr sqrns and minor bombers, a few misc Bn's, and about 3 divisions of Indian and Burmese troops.
I need a general idea of the flow of what happens as he comes north. Like if Im not going to hold Rangoon then where do I want to hold?
I have the Aussie division all loaded up and on the way.
I guess for now I'm envisioning holding Prome and Toungoo, but im worried about being flanked.
Just need a little glance at a sort of generic crystal ball.
One last thing, he is very good about massing and focussing air power, like 100+ bombers with 50 fighters.
Its January 28th 42'
Thanks all!

Given I'm fighting in Burma in both my games I can't say much about what I think. But I'd urge you to make a stand much farther away from Rangoon, to look closely at rivers, and especially RRs and jungle gaps. And to re-read the monsoon supply rules.

Burma for Japan is about getting at the oil as quickly and cheaply as possible, then defending it as long as possible. If Japan wants to go past the oil very far then doom on him. It'll feel good for a bit, then it'll hurt for a long, long time.

But Prome is toast.
The Moose
Gaspote

Post by Gaspote »

I think it's impossible to keep Burma because you can't stop the jap with these poor units. So just be sure to have engineers in Rangoon and Magwe to make a lot of damage to industry, oil centers and refineries when he capture but it's all you can do. Your line of defense is suppose to be Akyab, Kalemyo, Ledo and avoiding a landing in Chittagong or Diamond Harbour.
godochaos

Post by godochaos »

Wow thanks for the rapid and thoughtful responses. I will start researching the Canoe thread.
I did not know engineers could damage industry and oil production(it makes sense though). How do I order them to do that?
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Wow thanks for the rapid and thoughtful responses. I will start researching the Canoe thread.
I did not know engineers could damage industry and oil production(it makes sense though). How do I order them to do that?

You can't. They do a roll for damage when they retreat from a Shock attack that takes down the base. I'm 90% sure it's only a Shock that triggers it. Somebody will correct I'm sure.
The Moose
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

You can't. They do a roll for damage when they retreat from a Shock attack that takes down the base. I'm 90% sure it's only a Shock that triggers it. Somebody will correct I'm sure.

I can go ahead and tell you now, since you stopped bombing the place, but Singapore was completely destroyed when I captured it in our game. So it's not just Shock Attacks. I think I got a really, really bad die roll [8|]. Everything was 0. So it turned out that my accidental bombing of the RepSY made no difference, because I would've gotten it in 0(50) anyway.

So I took a little consolation when you had City Attacks on the place from Palembang over the next couple of days before I got fighters set up [:)].
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I can go ahead and tell you now, since you stopped bombing the place, but Singapore was completely destroyed when I captured it in our game. So it's not just Shock Attacks. I think I got a really, really bad die roll [8|]. Everything was 0. So it turned out that my accidental bombing of the RepSY made no difference, because I would've gotten it in 0(50) anyway.

So I took a little consolation when you had City Attacks on the place from Palembang over the next couple of days before I got fighters set up [:)].

Huh. I'm nearly certain there were long, long threads on engineer retreats when the game was new. Lots of JFB's warning each other "make sure you don't Shock at Palembang." Of course, at Singers there was no retreat, so maybe that's a break point.

But if you got a s**t sandwich, yay. [:)]
The Moose
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

I can go ahead and tell you now, since I kicked your troops out and liberated the city from your nasty allied forces, but Singapore was completely pristine in condition when I captured it in our game. So it's not just Shock Attacks. I think I got a really, really good die roll [8|].

TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

Ha Ha Ha.
TTFN,

Mike
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

I can go ahead and tell you now, since I kicked your troops out and liberated the city from your nasty allied forces, but Singapore was completely pristine in condition when I captured it in our game. So it's not just Shock Attacks. I think I got a really, really good die roll [8|].

So, two cases, both at my expense. [:)]

The garrisons in each were nearly identical FWIW.
The Moose
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Huh. I'm nearly certain there were long, long threads on engineer retreats when the game was new. Lots of JFB's warning each other "make sure you don't Shock at Palembang." Of course, at Singers there was no retreat, so maybe that's a break point.

But if you got a s**t sandwich, yay. [:)]

I've also taken it in perfect condition. There just has to be a die roll involved. Seems to be one extreme or the other with very little in between.
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

The price of bottled water just went up in California. I'm fooling them water-bottle companies tho. I can buy a 2 ltr bottle of Diet Coke cheap and run it through a Brita filter...

I think the allies should flee Burma, run to the end of the map, and take a correspondence course so they can learn to speak proper Japanese.
TTFN,

Mike
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

The price of bottled water just went up in California. I'm fooling them water-bottle companies tho. I can buy a 2 ltr bottle of Diet Coke cheap and run it through a Brita filter...

I think the allies should flee Burma, run to the end of the map, and take a correspondence course so they can learn to speak proper Japanese.

Uh, whaaaat . . . ?

So solly, I was reading street map of Rangoon. Next horiday destination, papa-san. [:'(]
The Moose
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

Uh, whaaaat . . . ?

So solly, I was reading street map of Rangoon. Next horiday destination, papa-san. [:'(]

Hmmm - well - maybe your Chinese troops, you know, the fast ones that were able to get outta China before the Imperial Japanese Army came marching in? Maybe those fast-footed ones are looking at the map. They've probably figured out that they shoulda headed north instead of south...

It must hurt to be that stupid... ([:D] - I rarely get the opportunity to use that line! All in fun - just a little smack-talk... Non of that Sherman/Crabtree stuff)

btw - u owe me a turn... [8D]

Oh ya - and that's Grand-papa-san. I'm in ascension towards becoming an enlightened ancient of my people; It's said I am an all-wise, often-consulted sage and legend in my own mind. And I've got the grand-child pictures to prove it!
TTFN,

Mike
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

In my experience either shock attacks or deliberate attacks can damage facilities, but shock attacks seem to make heavy damage more likely.
Gaspote

Post by Gaspote »

I think the longer the fight is the more damage it make too but the most important point is engineer. I took Palembang in one shock-landing attack and it made only a few damages (only pre-invasion bombing of cargos in my opinion).
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

In my experience either shock attacks or deliberate attacks can damage facilities, but shock attacks seem to make heavy damage more likely.

I have noticed that only failed shock attacks cause more damage. If you can shock attack and take the base, usually the damage is very light to none in my experience - which makes sense if you rush the place. But a long drawn out fight using bombers and arty usually makes a mess of the place. But its still a roll of the die - either you get lucky or screwed...

Personally I don't think Palembang should be allowed to be destroyed from battle - bombed into oblivion after japan takes it sure, but not in the initial conquest. A destroyed Palembang takes the heart out of a japanese player and makes them wonder whether to continue or not. Especially when there is nothing you can do to prevent it - a bad die roll and you are screwed... At least if you don't provide cap then its your fault.

godochaos

Post by godochaos »

I abandoned Rangoon with a 2 Bn Rearguard left behind. As i'm falling back im wondering how to handle my flank along the coast. Akyab, Cox bazaar, Chittagong, diamond harbor, specifically is akyab and cox bazaar too far forward and vulnerble to flanking/sealanding?
guytipton41

Post by guytipton41 »

I abandoned Rangoon with a 2 Bn Rearguard left behind. As i'm falling back im wondering how to handle my flank along the coast. Akyab, Cox bazaar, Chittagong, diamond harbor, specifically is akyab and cox bazaar too far forward and vulnerble to flanking/sealanding?

Hi god,

Akyab maybe to far forward if he moves ground troops up to invest it. If that happens a fighting retreat to Cox Bazaar might be in order. It's all situational - do you know where his divisions are?

Cheers
Guy

Return to “The War Room”