Coming back after long layoff, looking for game, Axis Opponent

For non-server PBEM games, post here to look for an opponent.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Q-Ball

Coming back after long layoff, looking for game, Axis Opponent

Post by Q-Ball »

Howdy! I played WITE a bunch when it first came out, and left a year+ ago. I'm back, and looking to play vs. a medium level opponent. I am not up on latest strategies and whatnot, so I fear I would not give a good game to very experienced opponent.

I prefer Soviets for right now, as I re-learn the engine

Gentlemanly play, for fun not blood

I'm open on HR and settings
Peltonx

RE: Coming back after long layoff, looking for game, Axis Opponent

Post by Peltonx »

The game is really really fed up right now.

Don't waste your time or anyone esles for that matter until .14.

Its a disaster really- with Russia on the general offensive in 1941- complete joke that game is now worse off then a year ago
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Really? I haven't kept up on the game. When I left, there was a problem with German armaments in the later game, IIRC something about squad upgrades.

The Lvov pocket was a hot issue

Rampant running on both sides was a problem, Soviets in 1941, Germans ahead of blizzard

I was hoping some of this fleshed out

What's the status these days, anyone besides Pelton?
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Really? I haven't kept up on the game. When I left, there was a problem with German armaments in the later game, IIRC something about squad upgrades.

The Lvov pocket was a hot issue

Rampant running on both sides was a problem, Soviets in 1941, Germans ahead of blizzard

I was hoping some of this fleshed out

What's the status these days, anyone besides Pelton?

1.Swapping bugs are still nasty.
2. GHC is slow so to speak.
3. this means 100% of industry gets easly railed out.
4. SHC can simply with draw for 7 turns.
5. if you play around with 1v1=2v1 now its a 100% win and can by turn 10-12 depending on your skill at it be counter attacking 15 to 20 times per turn with a 100% win ratio. I have the data in my thread.
6. with GHC MP's being much lower then in the past you can counter attack and hardly worry about getting CAV/Tank units cut off.
7. as always this snowballs into a complete disaster during winter even with mild winter option.

Ask MT or Flaviusx they will tell you same thing.

There are more then enough threads posted saying this do not take my word for it.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

What he says is mostly true.

I would give it a miss till its repaired. But not sure if that will happen Brad.

If your willing to try AGW I will give you a game. It's fun and it works.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

What he says is mostly true.

I would give it a miss till its repaired. But not sure if that will happen Brad.

If your willing to try AGW I will give you a game. It's fun and it works.

What's AGW?
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

You know it is screwed up when me and MT agree.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

You know it is screwed up when me and MT agree.

I was just thinking that! That is pretty amazing considering the battles you guys had.....

Too bad, I really like that new map as well that someone did.....
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

PM sent - Re AGW
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

Howdy! I played WITE a bunch when it first came out, and left a year+ ago. I'm back, and looking to play vs. a medium level opponent. I am not up on latest strategies and whatnot, so I fear I would not give a good game to very experienced opponent.

Sorry man, but I have to disagree a bit with Micheal and Pelton. The game needs some love that its not going to get but its anything but broken and lopsided. IF I didn't have 2 games going already I would take your offer.

@Pelton- You;'ve won nearly all your games in 41..lost one (or will) to Saper and are going on about the game being broken. Maybe you just got outplayed by one of the best Soviet players out there. Had Saper been in charge of Stalins Red army they might have won in 41.

I have 2 games going right now. Both are in 42 and I am having a lot of fun with both of them. The PRo's are very good Russian players and they are going to get a Soviet win. However, I stood and fought all Blizzard long and have dealt them many blows and made a good game of it. In my other game vs A-Game I actually have a small chance at a 42 German victory.

Someone like Saper or Michael. I would never play them because a master Soviet player shouldn't ever lose. They should win 100% of the time. Don't buy this hype at full cost.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Q-ball, to bring you up to speed...

Pelton's latest rage is the 1:1 > 2:1 rule. He has per his SOP mentioned it in just about every post he's made in the last 3 months. And he throws Flavius' name out there because in this one instance they are in agreement on something. He was most recently getting trounced by Saper222, hence his conclusion that the game is as bad as ever.

Michael hasn't played WiTE in a while so far as I know, still certain that the Soviets are OP. Kinda too bad as he really is an accomplished Axis player as is Pelton.

It does seem like a lot fewer games going on in WiTE-land. Maybe that's a natural thing but there are certainly games going on. There was a brief thread on people changing game settings at start as a sort of leveler, but not sure how much of that goes on.
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

I also think a good game can be had, particularly IF the Soviet player agrees to fight forward. There have been some really significant changes to gameplay over the last few months that really haven't been all that fleshed out. One could come up with any number of house sudden death rules that would ensure this without waiting on a patch to issue them.
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

I think Pelton and MT slightly overstate the case. It is true, the expert Soviet players out there will manage to stifle the German player regardless of how good he is with a near mathematical certainty, especially as long as the 1:1 = 2:1 rule is out there. But if you are not there yet after you long layoff and play a good German opponent you can still have quite some fun. Point is, you'll probably need some house rules. For example Flav proposed reducing Soviet rail to something like 80 to make it harder for the Soviet to rail everything out while running at the same time. Or you could agree not to do a Lvov pocket in return for fighting forward / not railing the Southwestern or Southern Front units northwards.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Remember that the "balance factors" are not sacred, but only reflect what the developers view as "balance." They do not reflect the reality of the situation in Russia, but the ability of the designers to assess & represent such.

By juggling morale, forts, transportation, & logistics one can do a lot to get the game "feel" that seems right. Of course, in H2H these have to be negotiated. And one could accept changing the factors at different times throughout the game, depending upon circumstances. A few changes to the game map could help also, as has been suggested by G-rex.

The game engine and the several scenario defining databases give a lot with to work. Not to say refinements aren't appreciated, or yet to be found. But let's not condemn the game to the trash heap.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Disgruntled Veteran

Sorry man, but I have to disagree a bit with Micheal and Pelton. The game needs some love that its not going to get but its anything but broken and lopsided. IF I didn't have 2 games going already I would take your offer.

@Pelton- You;'ve won nearly all your games in 41..lost one (or will) to Saper and are going on about the game being broken. Maybe you just got outplayed by one of the best Soviet players out there. Had Saper been in charge of Stalins Red army they might have won in 41.

I have 2 games going right now. Both are in 42 and I am having a lot of fun with both of them. The PRo's are very good Russian players and they are going to get a Soviet win. However, I stood and fought all Blizzard long and have dealt them many blows and made a good game of it. In my other game vs A-Game I actually have a small chance at a 42 German victory.

Someone like Saper or Michael. I would never play them because a master Soviet player shouldn't ever lose. They should win 100% of the time. Don't buy this hype at full cost.
ORIGINAL: smokindave34

I notified Callistrid that I am going to resign from our game. This is the third game in a row (Sapper, M60, Callistrid) where I have been handled decisively in '41 by solid Soviet opponents and I see no reason to go forward. I decided to stand and fight and have 7 divisions surrounded two turns into the blizzard. I used to be able to handle the axis well enough to produce a competitive game even against very good players (The Pro's) but no longer. This game is extremely challenging to play as axis right now against solid opponents (as other axis players better than I have noted) and I no longer seem to be able to make it into '43 with any real chance of standing up to the Soviets. Excellent game by you Callistrid - sorry to end it on you so quickly! I'll have to hang up my Field Marshall's baton for a while.....

This is the problem and BOTH sides see it not just one.

ORIGINAL: Callistrid

This game is over, and Dave was a very good opponent. Fighting on the Germans side is tough. It's enough to make a little mistake, and the war is lost. Let's see what I learn with the Soviet

1. Playing with the Soviet is easy. The sapper an construction brigades build fortification easily, and if you retreat on the first six turns, the saved troops with the reinforcements can hardly hit the advancing German troops. With the new rule the German can't pocket troops, because the encirclement can be broke easily.

2. Mild winter. Strong Soviet defeat the German, weak not. So the successful winter operation depend on how powerful is the Soviet army, not what my opponent did. On my game against Dave there infantry stack in level 2 fortification was easy to beat.

3. Paratroops. I never drop them, but using them could DE devastating. Easy method to break the supply line, or to isolate troops.

ORIGINAL: Callistrid

4. The Soviet have more rail yard then it should to have. With 100k+ it's easy to transport full fronts to threatened sectors. Using your short transport lines, the German will always face with strong troops in the critical sectors. And the factory evacuation is too fast. In the first seven turn, all what is unorganised sent to the urals.

5. Retreat, retreat, retreat. There is no reason to stand and fight on the first seven turn. Only around Leningrad, but that could be managed. The German could move close to Moscow, but never capture.

6. nonrandom weather. The nonrandom weather is not just a German favors. Because always the Soviet moves second, it's easy to be brave without consequences. You know when will be mud, and when could rest the troops, move forward to refit, or launch attack, when normally never do, because you don't know what will be the next weather.

And the most important. The 2/1 rule. It wag ugly when I start beating the German army around turn 14. The clear terrain gains no bonus defenses, and 6~9 cv into can be hit, without fear. And what is real worse, when you start attacking the front, launch 10+ successful attack.

The player base sees it-everyone.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

I'm currently playing a GC with mild blizzard option and the winter was really FUN! Nothing to see with the old rules.

Of course SHC has an advantage but in fact they won this war dspite huge mistakes!
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
Disgruntled Veteran

Pelton,

From the looks of it you don't seem to realize that I'm disagreeing with you. I play Axis only and I think the game is pretty enjoyable amongst equal skill players. However, an elite Soviet player really shouldn't lose if they play conservatively.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

DA, if both players are in equal skill and both play well (no matter what skill level as long as its the same for both)then result should be draw. Not Soviet win. That is the definition of balance.
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

I think this is an issue of VP conditions. If the German wants to draw, he has to keep the Soviets out of Berlin until July 1945, which is 2 months longer than historical. Anyway, I think the victory conditions are a little bit too crude in this game and hope they will be adjusted for WITW. I like the running point counting system with sudden death checks of WITP - AE. Actually I think the VP count of the smaller scenarios is better than the one of the campaign. A system calculating VPs from casualties and cities held with points given every turn for a city held under possession.
Disgruntled Veteran

ORIGINAL: Michael T

DA, if both players are in equal skill and both play well (no matter what skill level as long as its the same for both)then result should be draw. Not Soviet win. That is the definition of balance.

I agree with you for the most part. I just got sick of Pelton whining like a mule.. I mean..Q-Ball comes back and wants to play and the first thing Pelton does is try to dissuade him just because he is getting dominated. He carpet bombs the threads with his misery. I'm all aboard for most of the suggested fixes and agree the game needs a fresh overhaul for part 2.

Return to “Opponents Wanted”