Feature change for Close Combat: Cross of Iron

Close Combat - Cross of Iron is based on Atomic Games award Winning Close Combat Series. Close Combat is a real time game were you take command of German or Soviet squads on the Eastern Front during World War II. This version is being developed by CSO Simtek and will include many new features and improvements.
Erik Rutins

Feature change for Close Combat: Cross of Iron

Post by Erik Rutins »

In the view of focusing our efforts to develop and expand the Close Combat
franchise we are rolling out a few changes to Close Combat: Cross of Iron.
We are looking at the future, with one more release soon to be announced
under the current engine and the big brand new Close Combat multi-platform
engine currently in development.

In order to keep focus on the future of Close Combat, we have made the
decision to stop the multiplayer campaign support for Cross of Iron.
This decision was made after carefully evaluating traffic and matches being
played and finding that the multiplayer campaign was generally dormant. You
will still be able to play by starting you own sessions, but third party
multiplayer services that were previously included will now be unavailable.
The new version of Cross of Iron now in the store and available shortly as
an official update removes these elements.

Rest assured normal support for Cross of Iron and all other Close Combat
games will continue and we are working full time to make the best Close
Combat series going forward.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
mooxe

RE: Feature change for Close Combat: Cross of Iron

Post by mooxe »

This means MMCC3 will be removed?

and BHQ?

Will the update do anything else other than remove that/those functions?
Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Good questions MOOXE!

Definitely want to know/make sure that the built in H2H functionality is NOT removed/replaced with the forum match making in the latest CC.
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

Had you taken the time to upgrade MMCCIII to be able to use the Strategic Map and multiple BG's in with WaR,tLD and LSA you wouldn't have had this issue with nobody playing online.

BHQ....A Joke
ModSwap...Nobody uses it.(That's probably getting Dumped too)
/D switch...a means to alienate and or confuse online play.
PiFT Dedicated Room......History will tell ,but from my experience. No one's there very much.

SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

It is impossible for us to upgrade or fix MMCCIII because we do not have (and never had) the source code for it. In addition Microsoft no longer supports the Java VM required for MMCCIII and it will eventually stop working. Unfortunately there is no way to continue to support the utility in a reasonable manner.

Steve
Platoon_Michael

I understood that years ago when you told me that once before.

I just don't understand why no one feels a newer program isn't needed.
Especially one that could support multiple BG's.
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

Hello Matrix (Erik, Steve);

I am glad to hear the news on the CC series of games. You may not know, but I found CCMT one of the most enjoyable games ever. I was able to use many of the addon features that Matrix provided to users as extra value for this game. For instance, MODSWAP, which I found a very reliable way to add modifications to this game. As of today, I have dozens of plugins, covering small tweaks, complete mods, and map packs. Also, CC2 Redux and CC5 on CCMT were beneficial in creating a nifty WW2 experience using CCMT.

I found the AI credible, so long as the map sizes did not get too large.

And finally, the map editor, provided by Mafi (perhaps Matrix too), was the perfect add-on for CCMT.

But I have to concur with Erik, that going forward, it is probably beneficial for CC and Matrix to closely examine the CC add-ons of the past. Specifically those that revolve around enhancing Multiplayer gaming. Streamlining future editions of CC would be very welcome by moi. But don't forget the codeline too. As a developer myself (business programs), nothing is more exciting that getting your hands on a piece of code that is filled with seldom-used, unwanted features, and ripping them out of the program, making the codeline much smaller while retaining the used functionality.
Platoon_Michael

Ahh yea,
You kinda dropped the ball on that post.

I cant really say that anything is going to produce a spike in online play judging by the amount of viewers seen on Game Ranger.

Having said that a Free Deploy Editor that could do Ops as well as Custom battles for the re-releases would be a worthy cause.
Battles and Small Ops are most likely what Most people are going to play these days.
Adjusting the Deploy Zone,Air Strikes,Barrages on multiple maps for a Custom Op. would be a HUGE advancement for online playing.

It appears however that matrix has no inclination to make ANY Tools for the re-releases based on ahh well there isn't any new tools.
Yes their willing to send Mafi anything he needs to create such a thing,but come on
One Guy?
Even I know that's not gonna last/work.

Stwa

Post by Stwa »

Ya, you are probably right. I haven't posted in a while and I am already rusty, so I will try again. [:D]

Dear Matrix types,

I really enjoyed CCMT and the Add-ons that came with the game and those I found on your xtra content website. I got a lot of mileage and fun out of CCMT.

I would like to strongly advocate that you rip multiplayer gaming from future CC games, and I would engourage you to do the same with any patches that you intend on releasing for any current CC title. That would mean some expense to Matrix, but you will feel much better in the morning.

johnsilver

Post by johnsilver »

I cant really say that anything is going to produce a spike in online play judging by the amount of viewers seen on Game Ranger.

I can't say anything to the amount of players on GameRanger at any given time, but it more than likely applies to how many play this old engine anymore.

Most have moved on from when it was 1st released, some dozen years ago. Yes.. There was a time when 40+ were available at any given time, even when CC3 was a couple of years old. MOH took some away, CM did also. It got old and the users began to leave.

It seems to have happened with developers, mod makers also. Noticed that one (Pzjager) seemed to have left when his developed for AI mods were not what the H2H crowd wanted. Just what gathered from going over several topics after started playing one of his campaigns, but a shame for someone who developed such fine mods to be attacked like that for their work.

Anyway.. I doubt will ever see more than a small handful (at most) in any gameroom for CC. These games are just to old with the core players (us) probably half not even playing H2H anymore.
Sailing The 7 Seas...
mooxe

Post by mooxe »

John, pzjager was not some innocent member. He participated as much as anyone else in the personal attacks (on multiple accounts), egged on other members and spammed many many threads. I think the differences started from some political and anti Islam posts. Those views turned into anger against other members then ultimately into trying to remove himself and the mods he created from the site. He was never banned, he left on his own.
Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
johnsilver

Post by johnsilver »

I didn't realize that Mooxe. just saw on some of the Stalingrad mod topics where some were complaining where his campaign was not suitably balanced vs H2H, rather than vs the AI and he posted numerous times that all of his Stalingrad campaigns were developed vs the AI and he had some plugins for H2H, but none of it really mattered.

Did seem to notice later on that multi account issue you mentioned, as well as where he stalked off.. I didn't know what to make of it, granted. Have known of other mod makers in other games who have gotten upset in other games and done the same thing, so wasn't positive it was just fed up.

As for firing away with another.s religious beliefs? Yes.. a no-no..

Losing mod makers like that is what brings about the demise of communities that are in need of those types. I think you understand that and have probably been in the CC community active the entire time CC has been around while I took a few years off. Nomada was another.. Yes.. I understand him some from the older days and some of why he left, but the same reason to why he left and not all to another game.
Sailing The 7 Seas...
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

A rarely discussed topic, becuase it simply requires so many words for proper discussion, it just doesn't seem worth the time or energy anymore. Rather than goosing the fighting capabilities of the soldiers in an attempt to satisfy the system's singular method for determining victory, I kept the soldiers homogenous, and recognizable, and simply altered the victory conditions instead.

It is best applied in single player, but is bound to disapoint in multiplayer. It would be hard to get multiplayers to go along with it. "Hi, I have a great scenario here. You are the defender, I am the attacker, but I have 2 times as many guys, and I have tanks and you don't, and I win if I wipe out your entire force, and you win if you shoot at least one of my soldiers."

I just never enjoyed the balanced force games that were normally used for multiplayer games, and that is why I just never liked to spend time pursuing multiplayer. For me, CCMT was a great fit, because I could design battles with inbalanced forces that were much more fun.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

So we now know the next COI update will remove things; BHQ, MMCCIII and ? Anything else ?

Does it add or fix anything?
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

It is just a guess on my part, but me thinks had there been anything else, Erik would have mentioned it.

I am also guessing that you don't even play this title. Either do I for that matter.

So, why are we posting in this thread. [:D]
johnsilver

Post by johnsilver »

So, why are we posting in this thread.

Good question. Seems some rude brute [:-] Came in and hijacked the thread for some odd reason? [X(]
Sailing The 7 Seas...
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

Perhaps,

But to hijack a thread, requires that the thread was going somewhere in the first place. Beyond Erik's initial announcement, surely you agree that might be debateable.

Rude Brutes? Where? In this thread? Ok, maybe you've got the eye patch and the glass eye?

Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Posted: 25 JAN 2014 "Close Combat - Cross of Iron v3.61 Update"
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/335/downloads/

Is this the update that removes things?

Are there any other changes from v3.60 as there was no announcement post that I saw?
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

Hey Tejszd.

Just don't throw away update 3.60.

Then if you don't want v 3.61 you can re-install and patch back to v 3.60.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

The update contains a fix for the indecisive AT gun issue.

Steve

Return to “Close Combat - Cross of Iron”