"Ghost" objectives

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

LOK_32MK

"Ghost" objectives

Post by LOK_32MK »

I have a large scenario that I have edited from an earlier version (GC 1988 Europe-Middle East). The map, formations and objectives were edited and re-arranged considerably between versions. In the new version some "ghost" objectives remained on the map even though they were not assigned to any formation (they also did not show up in the scenario dump file and I assumed that they are database "leftovers" from the previous version). As such they could not be deleted in the scenario editor but at least I could set their value zero so they would have no impact on the game.
Now when i play the scenario a bunch of new objectives appear on the map during game play that do not show up in the scenario editor. Almost without exception they are in an area of the map that was edited heavily.

I was wondering if anyone has seen this before or if you have any ideas how to find these objectives and delete them in the editor. I have tried going through all the formation objectives - they do no show up as far as I can tell.
I have some screen shots if anyone is interested.
r6kunz

RE: "Ghost" objectives

Post by r6kunz »

I had this problem once, and it turned out these were old Objectives with an associated VP that did not show up when scanned. I assigned the hex as an objective to any formation, delete the VP value, then deleted that objective for that formation, and the objective flag disappeared. Perhaps this will work for you.
Good luck on scenario.
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
LOK_32MK

Post by LOK_32MK »

thanks for the suggestion. I had actually tried that but unfortunately with no success. I also tried adding formations to see if the objectives were assigned to any "hidden" formation - i could not find any.

The "dynamic" objectives, i.e. those that do not show up in the scenario editor but that show up during the game is what bothers me the most because I cannot set them to zero in the editor.

I guess it just means that I need to redo the scenario for 3.5 or 4.0 from scratch. [:@]
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

Have you tried all objective tracks?
LOK_32MK

Post by LOK_32MK »

yes I did - they do not show up as being associated with any formation.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Posting the screen shots might help. Post the scenario and we can try to figure it out.
LOK_32MK

Post by LOK_32MK »

here are a couple of shots (see next couple of messages) of roughly the same area: one from the scenario editor showing no objectives and one from the pbl file with numerous objectives of varying values.
Scenario editor screenshot:

Attachments
ScenarioEd..reenShot.jpg
ScenarioEd..reenShot.jpg (229.69 KiB) Viewed 201 times
LOK_32MK

Post by LOK_32MK »

PBL screen shots showing the "ghost" objectives
Attachments
PBLScreenShot.jpg
PBLScreenShot.jpg (218.5 KiB) Viewed 205 times
LOK_32MK

Post by LOK_32MK »

the scenario is greater than the upload limit. It can be found at Rugged defense (GC Europe-Middle East 1988 v1.0.sce) or I can email it to you.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I can't see anything in the screenshots, so please e-mail it. Click name at left to see my address. What TOAW version are you using ?
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

Got it. You must do the following (i know you're a seasoned scenario designer but to prevent misunderstandings i explain this in detailed step by step manner..):

- Open editor (obviously...[;)])
- Go to Deployment mode
- Select Place Objective
- Take any formation (i took the pre-selected 1st formation of Force 1, meaning i actually didn't do anything) and assign the invisible objective hex(es) as new objetive(s). Note that the objectives will already have an objective value.
- Then go to Objective Value mode.
- Set all (new) objectives to 0 VPs
- Remove the objectives from the formation's objective track. Done.
LOK_32MK

Post by LOK_32MK »

Sorry I forgot to embed the image

Attachments
PBLScreenShot.jpg
PBLScreenShot.jpg (218.5 KiB) Viewed 202 times
LOK_32MK

Post by LOK_32MK »

ake any formation (i took the pre-selected 1st formation of Force 1, meaning i actually didn't do anything) and assign the invisible objective hex(es) as new objetive(s). Note that the objectives will already have an objective value.
- Then go to Objective Value mode.
- Set all (new) objectives to 0 VPs
- Remove the objectives from the formation's objective track. Done.

This worked!! The "ghost" objectives that show up in the pbl are gone! You are a genius. [&o]

I had tried this with the "ghost" objectives that show up only in the scenario editor but it did not work. Although those do not affect game play because I can just easily set the value to zero.

Thanks!
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

That's the same solution Rob gave in post #2 ??

Glad you got it solved !
LOK_32MK

Post by LOK_32MK »

It solved it. I was not quite clear in my original post so let me try again.
The problem was twofold:
1) a set of objectives that ARE visible in the editor but are not assigned to any formation
2) A set of objectives that ARE NOT visible in the editor and are not assigned to any formation but show up ONLY in the pbl game

Problem #2 has been solved using your suggestions. That was my big worry because it affected game play (victory conditions) by introducing a bunch of objectives in strange places.

Problem #1 was (almost) solved by setting the objective value to zero. The objectives still cannot be removed but it is of no consequence to the game (other than cosmetic). I still suspect these objectives are assigned to a hidden ("ghost") formation and if I recreate the original OOB I will find it - but that's too painful. I'd rather wait for 3.5 and 4.0 and start from scratch.

I hope that clears it up. Thank you for all the help!
Looking forward to 3.5 and 4.0!
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

That's the same solution Rob gave in post #2 ??

Glad you got it solved !

Yes it is. Nevermind. It worked.

ORIGINAL: LOK_32MK
The problem was twofold:
1) a set of objectives that ARE visible in the editor but are not assigned to any formation
2) A set of objectives that ARE NOT visible in the editor and are not assigned to any formation but show up ONLY in the pbl game

Problem #1 was (almost) solved by setting the objective value to zero. The objectives still cannot be removed but it is of no consequence to the game (other than cosmetic). I still suspect these objectives are assigned to a hidden ("ghost") formation and if I recreate the original OOB I will find it - but that's too painful. I'd rather wait for 3.5 and 4.0 and start from scratch.

Did not know about problem #1, that's from reading the thread only superficially (also missed Kunz' post).

It's not so many formations that are 'hidden'. I would just copy the last unit of each side's OOB twenty times or so and then do a click orgy from the 1st copy down until you reach "new formation". Shouldn't be much work.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

But why did it happen ? Is it something in the Map Editor that is bringing objectives along, or are deleted formations retaining objectives on the map ? I seem to remember if we delete a formation, then create a new formation, the new one becomes the deleted one (or something). Maybe we can tell Ralph and he can fix it.

Return to “Scenario Design”