World in Flames Download Version Now Available

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

wolf14455

RE: World in Flames Download Version Now Available

Post by wolf14455 »

How does this new customers get rules help when it usually answered by a manual book reference. If they dont got the books it could be hard. Do I miss something?
Good job anyway adhearing to the customers wishes.
SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Swedewolf

How does this new customers get rules help when it usually answered by a manual book reference. If they dont got the books it could be hard. Do I miss something?
Good job anyway adhearing to the customers wishes.

The game comes with pdf versions of the manuals.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Oh ok. That was good. Thanx for your reply.
SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

Wow! I just noticed this. Big, big Kudos to Matrix Games for giving overseas (i.e. non-US citizens) the option to purchase a download-only version of the game for the same price as the books. I live in Indonesia and the cost of shipping those books to my address here was US $42 on top of the $100 download price. This is the reason why the DD version of the game has now become cheaper. We didn't want to have the books and the cost of shipping them to us forced upon us. Now we don't [&o]

Too late for me but who cares. [:D]I bought it on release anyway and got my books sent to a US address and it was only $9 extra. But I'm sure there are lots of folks living in less 'Fed-Ex friendly' parts of the world who will pick this beauty up.
Whitemanematrix

Post by Whitemanematrix »

Woo thanks folks. And for those saying it isn't cheaper well for me it is to the tune of $62 CDN so yeah =). Will pick it later on today
grab

Post by grab »

It seems to me that perhaps a another way of delivering this product might be this;

In post 4 of this thread it has been stated that the books are "entirely free to print" so why not distribute the software via download at the stated price and for those that want the "Free" books just charge shipping for the books. In the UK books are 0 rated for VAT so there is no import duty to be paid just the shipping cost.

Just a thought.
System, Intel i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, Windows 10 Professional, 32 GB of RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Deleted because actually irdgaf

My beef was with people treating other forum members who ask questions like they were the anti-Christ!
Alba gu' brath
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: grab

It seems to me that perhaps a another way of delivering this product might be this;

In post 4 of this thread it has been stated that the books are "entirely free to print" so why not distribute the software via download at the stated price and for those that want the "Free" books just charge shipping for the books. In the UK books are 0 rated for VAT so there is no import duty to be paid just the shipping cost.

Just a thought.
That's what the physical option effectively is. The CD is tucked into a pocket in the inside front cover of Player's Manual Volume 1. So the extra cost for shipping is really for shipping the books. Anyone who buys the physical option can download the game and pdfs immediately as well.
Paul
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Hi,

The board game itself if available for about the same price than MWiF. It's a great game and I would suggest it to anyone who likes the WWII era. Than, if they like it they can buy MWiF.

As for myself and some friends we don't want to complain, we wait, namely for the netplay's to be resolved amongst other things. Hot seat or solo is not an option for us. We play the board already since 1994. I don't care about an AI either, it always become boring playing against any AI after some time.

I did buy "Decisive Campaigns : Case Blue" from Matrix lately and I enjoy it (me and another friend), and it can be played via PBeM.

Michel.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

The full kit goes for $199.00 (freight cost included) on ADG website! That is two MWiF copies w/o physical delivery. If this game ever manages to provide a meaningful multiplayer mode (according to 23.1.2) you will want about four to five players at elast. So MWiF is at least double the cost.
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

The full kit goes for $199.00 (freight cost included) on ADG website! That is two MWiF copies w/o physical delivery. If this game ever manages to provide a meaningful multiplayer mode (according to 23.1.2) you will want about four to five players at elast. So MWiF is at least double the cost.
warspite1

You do realise that that argument is quite ridiculous, yes?

If I play (hopefully) some people in the future at multiplayer - then how much have I paid for the game? Yes that's right, I've paid for my game.

When I played WIF in the 90's how much did I pay for my game? Yes keep up, you are doing well, I paid for my game.

What have both scenarios got in common? Well, quite obviously, the people I play(ed) against bought their own copies too. So where does doubling of the cost come in?

Are you saying that most, if not all, serious players of the boardgame did not own their own game?

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Well, you need one kit to play the game, I find that hard to dispute! 24.1.2 suggests to allocate two to seven players. You might have adopted the view that WiF is a solitaire game.. I can see why..

I do not think dividing the purchase across all players is uncommon or ridiculous.. in fact it is very common for the gaming groups I know and frequent. So the formula is easy: purchase price divided by players. How many kits you actually own is quite irrelephant to the price point that gets you started.
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Matrix should just bump the physical price up to 110. Just a many people would be whining, but matrix would make a little more cash.

Plus all the people who already bought will feel like they got a deal, and the whiners can get the DL only copy and save $10. A reward for the early adopters! Note I still have to order, but the extra $10 wouldn't bother me on a game of this scope.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

Well, you need one kit to play the game, I find that hard to dispute! 24.1.2 suggests to allocate two to seven players. You might have adopted the view that WiF is a solitaire game.. I can see why..

I do not think dividing the purchase across all players is uncommon or ridiculous.. in fact it is very common for the gaming groups I know and frequent. So the formula is easy: purchase price divided by players. How many kits you actually own is quite irrelephant to the price point that gets you started.
warspite1

I wonder how many people were "lucky" enough to be in a gaming group where costs could be shared? I say "lucky" because I must admit, even if I was in that position I would still have bought my own copy so that I could use it when I wanted to, read up on the rules when I wanted to etc.

But I guess this is just something else we can disagree on [;)]

Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Rules are a download. $5 bucks and 20min time get you a nicely bound version of RAW7aug04 + a DIN A4 downscaled and laminated reference chart + a DIN A5 downscaled and laminated 2D10 table. When I talk someone into trying WiF, that is the set they get from me. In fact the printed rules you get with the box are obsolete these days.

Attachments
IMG_20140121_232346.jpg
IMG_20140121_232346.jpg (602.12 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

First, please keep the discussion civil.

Second, the price was always planned and set at $99.99. The post from me that was quoted earlier is correct. When we made the decision to add in the three hard-bound manuals, we decided not to increase the price to our customers. We did feel however that the manuals are really a key element of the game as this is a very unique release that is more about the WIF community than the general computer wargaming community.

After release, we listened and saw that the community was understandably unhappy with the shipment costs outside the US and decided to do what we could to add a download option. Unfortunately it took longer than expected to work everything out for that, but when we made it available the intention was always to keep it at the original intended price. This just gives folks who don't want the extra shipping cost a way to get the game without jumping through hoops.

We also don't think it would be fair to those who purchased the physical version to now make a less expensive digital option available. WIF was intended to be physical only, the download option is now available due to community demand, the pricing is based on the price that was always agreed on for WIF.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

thanks for the explanation, Erik.

Dabrion - aren't you violating copyright rules when you act as you describe? (copying rules etc and providing them to others?)
daferg

Post by daferg »

Wow. I think I will cross this game off my wishlist. I have purchased 23 games from Matrix but this won't be my next one. I can't imagine there is much free thought allowed on here. I guess if you have almost 15,000 post you can act like a forum bully. Its too bad that the action of one forum member can ruin an entire game.

Don't bother typing out a long winded reply to me. I can't imagine you have anything intelligent to say. Perhaps the people who are trying to make a profit off this game should realize money is being lost because of a bully.
Kimse123

Post by Kimse123 »

ORIGINAL: markb50k

For a game of this size and scope, $99 is arguably ON PAR with other huge grognard games that Matrix has released.  It was a steal when they released it (AND you got books!)

But people complained due to customs/additional shipping etc, and asked for a DL only version.

They gave it to you.  End of story, guys.  Sheesh.

What are you talking about... They still put on taxes which brings this game that has NO AI up to a total of
about 140$ us [X(][X(]

Someone, dunno WHO, but someone has done some seriously wrong Price/demand calculations. [8|]

There are games out there that has cost hundreds of millions of dollars to produce and they sell for 70-80 bucks,
and said with deep respect for this one mans huge effort, it have not cost a fraction of that.

If they actually sold it at a resonable Price, more people would buy it, i know i certainly would. This would create
more revenue and they would earn more Money AND they would have a lot of very satisfied and loyal customers, instead
of no customers and small income.
Beware of what you ask, you might get it answered
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: kimsand
ORIGINAL: markb50k

For a game of this size and scope, $99 is arguably ON PAR with other huge grognard games that Matrix has released.  It was a steal when they released it (AND you got books!)

But people complained due to customs/additional shipping etc, and asked for a DL only version.

They gave it to you.  End of story, guys.  Sheesh.

What are you talking about... They still put on taxes which brings this game that has NO AI up to a total of
about 140$ us [X(][X(]

Someone, dunno WHO, but someone has done some seriously wrong Price/demand calculations. [8|]

There are games out there that has cost hundreds of millions of dollars to produce and they sell for 70-80 bucks,
and said with deep respect for this one mans huge effort, it have not cost a fraction of that.

If they actually sold it at a resonable Price, more people would buy it, i know i certainly would. This would create
more revenue and they would earn more Money AND they would have a lot of very satisfied and loyal customers, instead
of no customers and small income.
warspite1

Can you do us a favour please? Its easy to spout anything that comes into your head and present it as fact, but how about you provide some facts to support what you say?

On what basis do you matter of factly state the price/demand calculations are wrong?

On what basis do you matter of factly state that the price charged is not reasonable?

What prey tell, is a "reasonable price"? Reasonable for who? Matrix? The customers? The developer? ADG? who? Please confirm the economics of the deal to justify such comments and enable us to understand.

What research have you done such that you know a drop in price guarantees a higher revenue - where is that price, and how many people will buy at which price? If my local Mercedes dealer sold a CLK at a reasonable price I know I would certainly buy it. The price I could afford it at would bankrupt Mercedes, but hey, lets not let cold economic facts of life get in the way.

The game is the game at the moment, warts and all, good and bad. How will getting more customers, guarantee more very satisfied and loyal customers - what like Dabrion you mean?

No customers and no income? Please explain further.

Finally, if dropping price is a retailers nirvana for happy, prosperous trading, please tell us why any company goes out of business.

Thank-you. I look forward to your detailed response

Return to “World in Flames”