New to WIF

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

alexvand

RE: New to WIF

Post by alexvand »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

ORIGINAL: Centuur
Than came WiF and that meant the gathering of dust on Third Reich started... It has been gathering dust ever since, I'm afraid...
+1
warspite1
+2
+3 Even with the Rising Sun expansion it just doesn't hold a candle to WiF.
ngcavscout

Post by ngcavscout »

Combat Mission by Battlefront.com is a pretty good game of tactical level WW2 combat and actually started out as a computer version of ASL, then evolved into its present form. I recommend it highly. If I broke a rule by referring to a non-Matrix company I apologize.
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

ORIGINAL: chekers

I'm 32 and started with Rise and Decline of the Third Reich when I was 8 or so. I was always a super nerd.

What? AH's Third Reich? At 8?! I started playing that in my 20's and it was a tough cookie to get into. Colour me seriously impressed [X(]

And like others here, as soon as I discovered 'World In Flames' 1st Edition, I dropped A3R and never took it back up.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Fascist Dog

I'm 32 and started with Rise and Decline of the Third Reich when I was 8 or so. I was always a super nerd.

What? AH's Third Reich? At 8?! I started playing that in my 20's and it was a tough cookie to get into. Colour me seriously impressed [X(]

And like others here, as soon as I discovered 'World In Flames' 1st Edition, I dropped A3R and never took it back up.
warspite1

Agreed! I could not imagine looking at something like 3rd Reich or WIF or any serious wargame at 8!! Wow - impressed.

At 8 I was firmly in the Escape from Colditz camp [:D] Appel!

Attachments
pic105532_md.jpg
pic105532_md.jpg (57.18 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
shaddock

Post by shaddock »

Hmmm at 8 years old I was still trying to beat my father and brother at chess. I had never ever heard of wargames till I was in high school (and I beat them both at chess :)
save the carrots; eat a vegan!
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

For me the first "real" game was Diplomacy. A3R and France 1940 soon followed, then I went mostly down the Eurogame track with the occasional dip back into grognard land. I'm afraid Kennedy was a bit before my time, but I was playing Risk and Chess before Reagan was shot.

Huh... did anyone ever make a game about the Iran hostage crisis or the failed rescue attempt? That might be interesting.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
gravyhair

Post by gravyhair »

ORIGINAL: alex_van_d

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

+1
warspite1
+2
+3 Even with the Rising Sun expansion it just doesn't hold a candle to WiF.

You know, if anyone's interested A3R/RS turned into AWAW ("GMT "A World At War") and it is fantastic. A worthy sibling to WiF, with a slightly different emphasis but equal fun. I play them both. Good stuff.
Wise Men Still Seek Him
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I was playing Risk and Stratego early. My first two real wargames were Blitzkrieg and Africa Korps, which I got as Christmas presents when I was ten. Immediately after Christmas my family went on a ski trip, and I took Afrika Korps with me. When we got to the cabin, I discovered I had left the die at home. (I was very good at making mistakes like that. I still am.) So I got out a nickel, a dime, and a quarter, and made a little table to get a 1-6 out of flipping the three coins. (Had to reflip all heads or tails, of course.) I've been playing wargames ever since.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Fascist Dog

warspite1

Agreed! I could not imagine looking at something like 3rd Reich or WIF or any serious wargame at 8!! Wow - impressed.

At 8 I was firmly in the Escape from Colditz camp [:D] Appel!

Ahhh... Taking the Staff car out is very nice. That game is one of my sons favourites (since there is a Dutch version which I bought a long, long time ago)...
Peter
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

I started on WiF. Kind of a hardcore leap into a new hobby [X(]

I once made a die because I needed one for some boardgame. I made a cross shape by cutting paper and then folded in into a cube and sticky-taped it together. I got the idea from one of those maths/IQ test questions at school. It was big and bouncy but it worked [:)]

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

Squad Leader, A3R, Diplomacy (+ variants), Fortress Europe and Russian Campaign (latter will be played again in March). Lot's of Euro games on the side.
Played WiF 5th edition a couple of times over a weekend (not far). Tried out DoD (early edition, which was fun but ambigues on rules as I can remember). Played once WiF to the tasty end in 2002. One evening per week, 2 players: 13 months. What was that great.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I would think a majority of World in Flames players might have played Third Reich first?

Steve Jackson Games made a game about the hostage rescue attempt in 1980. Not the US Military's finest operation by any means.

http://www.sjgames.com/shortwars/iran/
Babyear

Post by Babyear »

ORIGINAL: FJeff

I'm no kid either. On the day JFK was shot I had stayed home from school "sick" and was playing Avalon Hill's D-Day (solitaire) at the kitchen table with the radio on.

That's awesome. And I can relate. D-Day was a game a friend gave me for my 13th bday (long ago). It was my first war game and I didn't know what to expect; never played a war game before. Before opening the box I thought there would be metal or plastic pieces inside. I was originally disappointed when I saw the game with cardboard pieces. "What the heck is this," I thought. Since no one would play with me I played that game solitaire for almost a year. It was a great experience to slowly realize that I was learning and changing history. I have been playing on and off for over 30 years.

WiF is a game I always wanted to play. I read the rules but didn't have a partner. VASL wasn't for me (but used it often for ASL). I plan on buying MWiF at the end of the month. Looking forward to really sinking the teeth into the game solitaire. Wouldn't mind real opponents when net play is ready.

Thanks for that pleasant flashback.

Edit: quoted wrong post.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I would think a majority of World in Flames players might have played Third Reich first?

Steve Jackson Games made a game about the hostage rescue attempt in 1980. Not the US Military's finest operation by any means.

http://www.sjgames.com/shortwars/iran/

I hated Third Reich.....I was either playing SPI's War in the East/ War in Europe, or AH's the Guns of August.
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

claystone the game is scripted to a degree. The idea is to have a historical framework so you get a WWII game - not a fantasy scenario.

So for example Germany, Italy and Japan will be Allies and USA, CW, France, China and USSR likewise.

Outside of that - and a (very) few other restrictions, you are free to play as you want and invade who you want. But beware - there are consequences for doing so!

Germany, Italy and Japan will be Axis, while CW, USA, France, China, USSR and other minor countries will be Allies.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

claystone the game is scripted to a degree. The idea is to have a historical framework so you get a WWII game - not a fantasy scenario.

So for example Germany, Italy and Japan will be Allies and USA, CW, France, China and USSR likewise.

Outside of that - and a (very) few other restrictions, you are free to play as you want and invade who you want. But beware - there are consequences for doing so!

Germany, Italy and Japan will be Axis, while CW, USA, France, China, USSR and other minor countries will be Allies.
warspite1

Seriously? Wow. Are you a lawyer by trade by any chance?

Claystone for the avoidance of doubt:

Germany, Italy and Japan will be allied to each other, and together will form the Axis. In any given game, the Axis may include other countries as well (depending upon the decisions taken by each side) e.g. Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Finland and Vichy France, in addition to any minor countries that the Allies invade.

The CW, USA, France, China and USSR are also allied to each other and together form the Allies. The Allies will be joined by Poland at the start of the game, and it is possible that others such as Free France, Mexico, Brazil and Yugoslavia will join them at some point during the game, together with any minor countries that the Axis invade.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Maucat

Post by Maucat »

I played chess in national tournaments until I found a copy in my country (Italy) of Anzio and Diplomacy in 1978 and never was the same... I played a lot of Avalon Hill, GDW, VG and SPI games.
My favourites were Advanced Squad Leader, Third Reich, The Guns of August, War & Peace, Terrible Swift Sword, Napoleon's last batlles, Great war in the East, Diplomacy, Pearl Harbor, GDW Serie Europa, Civil War, Flat Top, Junta, 1830, 1856, 1870, Drive on Stalingrad, Wooden Ships & Iron Men... and obviously World In Flames with his companions Fatal Alliances and Days of Decisions that I played since the first edition...
Now I still play Diplomacy and 1830, 1856, 1870 on specific internet sites, now MWIF and the Sid Meier's Civilization V series. I tried also the Paradox games like HOI, Victoria, Europa Universalis and Rome Total War but I don't like them very much.
I played WIF since the first edition and now finally play the computer game !!!
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Avalon Hill's MIDWAY, was my 1st wargame Christmas present from dad. Up to that point Chess, Risk, Easy Money and Monopoly were very familiar games around the home. After MIDWAY, it was Afrika Korps and beyond. ANZIO and 1914 are still 2 of my all time favorite boardgames. ah memories
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

warspite1

Seriously? Wow. Are you a lawyer by trade by any chance?

Claystone for the avoidance of doubt:

Germany, Italy and Japan will be allied to each other, and together will form the Axis. In any given game, the Axis may include other countries as well (depending upon the decisions taken by each side) e.g. Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Finland and Vichy France, in addition to any minor countries that the Allies invade.

The CW, USA, France, China and USSR are also allied to each other and together form the Allies. The Allies will be joined by Poland at the start of the game, and it is possible that others such as Free France, Mexico, Brazil and Yugoslavia will join them at some point during the game, together with any minor countries that the Axis invade.
Turkey, Spain, Yugoslavia and Siam might also join the Axis depending on how the game unfolds.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Return to “World in Flames”