Killing Whales

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

DROregon

Killing Whales

Post by DROregon »

I seem to be killing a lot of whales. I see in message searches that others have as well.
When my Goblin is identified as Biologic, off go the torpedoes. I must have something set wrong.
I'll setup a test scenario to post.
JRyan

RE: Killing Whales

Post by JRyan »

But By Grace Go I.......
guanotwozero

Post by guanotwozero »

Maybe we just need a "Send Apology to Greenpeace" button added [:)]
DROregon

Post by DROregon »

Here's my test scenario. I have three DDG on creep ASW. One is set to "Ignore Ambiguity",
one is set to "Optimistic", and one to "Pessimistic". Each DDG finds a whale, identifies it
as biologic, then fires torpedoes for the kill.

I would have expected DDG to classify whales as Neutral once identified. No need to kill.
Attachments
KillingWhalestest.zip
(15.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Blas de Lezo

Post by Blas de Lezo »

By default ASW patrol are allowed to shoot at non-hostile contact, meaning that they don't need an ID to start shooting.... quite right if you really think there is a sub lurking close by.... If you want to avoid this, just turn this option off and your patrols won't shoot until they get an ID or a "hostile declaration" by the Supreme Commander (meaning you...)

Best
ExMachina

Post by ExMachina »

Each DDG finds a whale, identifies it
as biologic
, then fires torpedoes for the kill.

Were the DDGs Japanese? [:D]
DROregon

Post by DROregon »

ORIGINAL: Blas de Lezo

By default ASW patrol are allowed to shoot at non-hostile contact, meaning that they don't need an ID to start shooting.... quite right if you really think there is a sub lurking close by.... If you want to avoid this, just turn this option off and your patrols won't shoot until they get an ID or a "hostile declaration" by the Supreme Commander (meaning you...)

Best
Where do I find this option switch? I was thinking it was the ambiguity, but that switch doesn't seem to make a difference here.
Blas de Lezo

Post by Blas de Lezo »

In ROE screen for the mission, second option from the top: "engage non-hostile targets"... by default is set to YES and to be Greepeace-friendly you have to set it to NO...

But be aware then that your unit won't shoot until they can ID or at least declare as hostile the goblin....and that could be way too late....

Saludos
GBS

Post by GBS »

I cant believe that a whale would sit there and let a torpedo run up and hit it. Besides does it require metal to ignite the warhead?
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Rob322

Post by Rob322 »

A lot of torpedoes are moving around 55 knots. I doubt the Whale is just letting the torpedo hit it, I think the torpedo is simply faster. Besides, even if it needs metal to ignite a hit on the Whale is still likely to A) kill the whale and B) damage the torpedo so it wouldn't function. A whale is still a seriously big object.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

So might be better to use the whale targets during early CW.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plymout ... story.html
DROregon

Post by DROregon »

Well, I switched the ASW mission to not engage non-hostile targets. At first sighting, and identifying as biologic, the entire fleet became a whale-watching expedition. The closest DDG turned and followed along with the whale. The other DDG's vectored towards the whale, seeking to gain a peek.

Greenpeace would be proud, except for the animal harassment. (better than torpedoes)
guanotwozero

Post by guanotwozero »

If I do torpedo one by mistake, can I claim I did it for "scientific purposes"?
ExMachina

Post by ExMachina »

I know that whales have been accidently engaged in reality. However, in CMANO it appers that even once identified as whales, they are still treated as yet another class of submarine.

Maybe an easy fix would be to modify CMANO to designate any identified biologics as friendly?
DROregon

Post by DROregon »

I expected the whales to be assigned Neutral, as per Posture. The DDG's should then proceed on original course / ASW Mission.
(Move along. Nothing more to see here...!)
JRyan

Post by JRyan »

Well again, I guess Whales do not like me much...

But By Grace Go I.......

Return to “Tech Support”