Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Icemania

RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe

Post by Icemania »

I really was not intending IGN with the term major gaming sites. There is a middle tier where the trust issues are arguably in far better shape and which can still expose this game to a broader audience.

I'm a really good example of this Ares. I don't play Matrix Games (except Distant Worlds) and have zero interest in other Matrix titles. Until recently I wasn't even aware Matrix existed. My favourite titles include "mainstream" games like Mass Effect, StarCraft 2 and Civilisation V. The only reason I'm here is because I invested a fair bit of time in searching for 4X games.

If the Niche strategy you suggest was adopted, others like me would be missed completely from Marketing.

The idea that 4X is a Niche Genre I completely disagree with. I'm obviously not saying it's FPS but again there is a middle ground and it's far broader than the War Gaming Strategy market. The marketing strategy should adapt accordingly. The idea that Distant Worlds should be marketed like a Matrix Game is completely understating the potential of this game.

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Ares106

ORIGINAL: Icemania
Now, this all depends on two things, How easy it is to mod the game which we will soon see and how many dedicated modders with a lot of free time actually exist, the latter is a direct function of how popular the game is right now.
Which is precisely why we need a vastly improved marketing effort.

agreed.

I just don't think advertizing major gaming sites are a good investment. Because most of them are not trusted nor frequented by most people that would play matrix games (a somewhat more "hardcore" audience for the lack of a better word then those who play AAA titles).

Niche gaming sites, youtube and boards like reddit might be more suitable.

then again im not a marketing expert so I never studied this, just my feeling based on what ive been seeing lately.

I'm not so sure it's a completely wasted investment. I do skim over the major review sites, not to pay any attention to their bought and paid for reviews, but just to see what is new out there. Even a little bit of advertising might catch a few new customers.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Ares106

Post by Ares106 »

Yesss off course the more advertising the better, the question is whether there is money for it.

@Icemania
I bet it was quite a shock to go from the slick Civ5 interface to DW. I imagine a standard game review would go something like: "Yet another 4x game with great potential getting marred in bad UI and bugs never quite reaching the glory of MOO2, at a price of 80+dollars it is only worth it for the most ardent 4x players. Also the graphics suck. 5/10" And this could potentially turn more people like you off before you even try it.

I think Distant worlds is a game that you really should what to get into, and seek out like you did, because it did not have the benefit of a large team of developers like the civ series. Its hard to have fun with this game unless you get past its roughness and tinker a bit with the automation.

All that said perhaps middle tier sites reviewers would give the game an honest look like you say, who knows.

But i think that in the end a grass roots advertising initiative is cheaper and more efficient for this type of rough game in particular. And that means its up to US! If we want the game to be popular and have great mods, we should spread the word about it on our favorite internet hangouts, and if we are able to, actually contribute with the modding effort.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

I also have no interest in playing mods, although I'm sure some of them are fantastic. I know the Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings 2 gets nothing but rave reviews, and I'm sure I'd love it.

Honestly, I don't have the gaming time to even fully explore all aspects of official releases. So yeah, it's highly unlikely I'll ever play any DW mods, but I'll still be buying Distant Worlds Universe. I would've preferred the focus be on new primary content and not modding, but I'm sure I'll love what non-modding features of it there are, and I'm always happy to support the best space 4X game ever made. [:)]
Deathball

Post by Deathball »

I for one am very glad to see the emphasis on modding as a dedicated community will produce much more quality content than the developers ever could. Just look at the Elder Scrolls or X series, mediocre games elevated to greatness through extensive modding support and a community to make use of it.
Osito

Post by Osito »

I do think there is a serious question over whether the current DW community is large enough to make the most out of the modding capability of the 'Universe' expansion.

Having said that, I'm still interested in increased modding capability, not so much for "community" use, but more for my own personal use. DW is as close as it gets (imo) to the perfect space 4x, but it doesn't do everything I'd like. For example, I personally like a space setting which is based on reality, so I like to see a real solar system (with Mercury, Venus, Earth, etc), and alpha centauri, Sirius and so on, close to Sol, and more distant stars further away. I also dislike the way DW allows you very quickly to build space ships that can traverse the whole "galaxy" with a single fuel tank. So, personally, I would like to see a customised star map with 'real life' star names at the correct distance from Sol (compromising over the lack of 3D, of course), along with fuel ranges being smaller. As I understand it (and I accept information is limited), Universe will give me the opportunity to build that game. I'll do that, not because I want others to play it, but simply because I want to play it myself, and there is absolutely no other computer game in existence that would let me do that (as far as I know).

Tldr: the modding expansion has the potential to enable you to create as near as you can get to the perfect space 4x.

Osito
Osito
JCVocke

Post by JCVocke »

I'm already planning out an entirely new Economic System, which will be far more dependent on Planetary Facilities, where you will have to construct 'buildings' to represent different industrial sectors. I'll need to see if I can control how the buildings collect inputs, and ideally add get some way for buildings to construct themselves through events to represent private investment.

I also want to expand on the "Shadows" age of the tech tree, with several new levels of Warp Drive before you get to the original game's speeds and efficiencies. The same thing will be done with weapons, and the mod will be designed around the highest tech costs, to give an exceptionally long game with a very slow start. Clawing your way up to a decent weapon will be a serious investment.

Then I'll look into adding Internal Politics, especially in the more Democratic Governments. Political Parties, meaningful elections, more importance to planetary happiness.

I'm also hoping I will be able to re-purpose the existing Pirates system to represent Rebel Factions, with Pirates getting influence on the various planets and using them, and foreign funding, to acquire revenue and ships to engage in asymmetrical warfare before they actually start declaring independence and are thus converted to proper empires.

Looking forward to it.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Its one thing playing with the ecomonic model,tech trees,fuel,etc and internal stuff its another if the A.I can actually play with it.

We have no clue if the A.I is going to be opened up or any real modding substance as pre usual.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

@Icemania
I bet it was quite a shock to go from the slick Civ5 interface to DW. I imagine a standard game review would go something like: "Yet another 4x game with great potential getting marred in bad UI and bugs never quite reaching the glory of MOO2, at a price of 80+dollars it is only worth it for the most ardent 4x players. Also the graphics suck. 5/10" And this could potentially turn more people like you off before you even try it.

I think Distant worlds is a game that you really should what to get into, and seek out like you did, because it did not have the benefit of a large team of developers like the civ series. Its hard to have fun with this game unless you get past its roughness and tinker a bit with the automation.

All that said perhaps middle tier sites reviewers would give the game an honest look like you say, who knows.

But i think that in the end a grass roots advertising initiative is cheaper and more efficient for this type of rough game in particular. And that means its up to US! If we want the game to be popular and have great mods, we should spread the word about it on our favorite internet hangouts, and if we are able to, actually contribute with the modding effort.

You appear to have a very simplistic stereotype of mainstream gamers. There is a segment of us who are interested in far more than just FPS and graphics.

The interface of DW was not a shock at all, it was expected, and it's actually pretty good by past 4X Standards. As one of many examples consider FTL. The graphics are laughable but it's a great game to play. Even gaming sites like IGN gave FTL glowing reviews.

Obviously a grass root advertising initiative is cheaper. But Marketing 101 needs to be applied. The Marketing being done by Matrix is completely inappropriate for the segment of which I am part. And other small developer games manage to get massively more publicity ...

Now going to Angry Joe is not what I'm suggesting. His reviews are great but he would not have the patience for this game. What I am suggesting is a careful evaluation of options beyond Niche sites.

Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: Osito
I do think there is a serious question over whether the current DW community is large enough to make the most out of the modding capability of the 'Universe' expansion.
I completely agree Osito (while hoping the modding community that we do have achieves a miracle). Personally I do play with some mods in other games (not DW) but it tends to be limited to those that are comprehensive in scope, particularly if they improve the AI or introduce new strategy.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
Its one thing playing with the ecomonic model,tech trees,fuel,etc and internal stuff its another if the A.I can actually play with it.

We have no clue if the A.I is going to be opened up or any real modding substance as pre usual.
Agree. The AI is #1,#2 and #3 in my list of what I'd like from both the Universe base game and mods.

JCVocke

Post by JCVocke »

I fully understand that the AI might be difficult, but I have.... experience.... dealing with crappy AIs in relation to my ludicrously complicated systems. I am assuming we will be able to apply AI weights to certain buildings, otherwise it would be effectively completely impossible to add new buildings unless they expect every planet to eventually have every single building.

Which to be fair is kind of how it works out now...
Ares106

Post by Ares106 »

You appear to have a very simplistic stereotype of mainstream gamers. There is a segment of us who are interested in far more than just FPS and graphics.

Sorry if i came across that way. I usually don't like to use words like "hardcore" and "mainstream" to describe gamers and should not have done so from the start.
I like you have also played civ5 mass effect and even cods, and don't feel bad about it.

But what im trying to say is that there is indeed a "segment" like you say that are interested in far more then just FPS and graphics. And a lot of that segment is already here as it is a pretty small segment, and those who want this type of game will seek it out like you did. You should also consider that other developers have a lot more money to devote to advertizing. I never played FTL but i think they liked it because it was a new concept. The only well known space 4x games with large audiences in the past years where Gal Civ and Sins. I believe distant worlds will pale in comparison at first look with both of those games, untill you look deeper to realize its a better game overall. (this is also very subjective)

My hope is that one of the big youtubers will pick up this game when it has a good mod for their favorite sci-fi universe (probably no angry joe lol). Perhaps its one of those "if you build it they will come thing". Eventually people will come to know DW not as a 4x game, but more as a platform for making awesome 4x game mods.
Osito

Post by Osito »

My hope is that one of the big youtubers will pick up this game when it has a good mod for their favorite sci-fi universe (probably no angry joe lol). Perhaps its one of those "if you build it they will come thing". Eventually people will come to know DW not as a 4x game, but more as a platform for making awesome 4x game mods.

The closest I've seen to that is a "Let's try" by quill18. In fact, watching that video was what got me into the game in the first place.
Osito
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Sorry if i came across that way. I usually don't like to use words like "hardcore" and "mainstream" to describe gamers and should not have done so from the start.
I like you have also played civ5 mass effect and even cods, and don't feel bad about it.

But what im trying to say is that there is indeed a "segment" like you say that are interested in far more then just FPS and graphics. And a lot of that segment is already here as it is a pretty small segment, and those who want this type of game will seek it out like you did. You should also consider that other developers have a lot more money to devote to advertizing. I never played FTL but i think they liked it because it was a new concept. The only well known space 4x games with large audiences in the past years where Gal Civ and Sins. I believe distant worlds will pale in comparison at first look with both of those games, untill you look deeper to realize its a better game overall. (this is also very subjective)

Apologies for jumping to a conclusion.

As Star Citizen has shown for that Genre, I believe the segment here is not small, I would expect it's medium sized. It's certainly far larger than the War Gaming segment.

I fully agree more effort is needed with social media.

Putting gaming sites aside for a moment, using Shadows as the status quo, and comparing to say Gal Civ 3:
(a) consider how much more information is available from the Gal Civ 3 website (as a Founder I have access to all sorts of materials)
(b) consider how much more they interact with the community (e.g. there is a debate at the moment about colony control initiated by the developer but there is no equivalent here)

I also agree the game can be difficult to get into to start with, but there is also very little to help new players in any meaningful way. There could be a far more significant range of tutorials. The galactopedia could be vastly expanded and improved. More gameplay videos could be provided that show what experienced gamers do e.g. at the start of the game should be a specific focus. For reviewers, this material is essential as well.

Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: JCVocke

I fully understand that the AI might be difficult, but I have.... experience.... dealing with crappy AIs in relation to my ludicrously complicated systems. I am assuming we will be able to apply AI weights to certain buildings, otherwise it would be effectively completely impossible to add new buildings unless they expect every planet to eventually have every single building.

Which to be fair is kind of how it works out now...
I can't wait to see what you are allowed to do! I just hope the Marketing is good enough to bring some colleagues to help with a mega mod.

TanC

Post by TanC »

I just wonder what the following means:
"Also, this fourth expansion will be standalone, meaning that it will be a “wrap up” release of the entire Distant Worlds series in one package, with owners of the game getting a discount."

Does it mean that it will contain all the previous expansions such that a new person to the game will only need to buy the original Distant Worlds and this DW:U expansion to get RotS, Legends and Shadows? Or is it more like a "Complete Collection" all in one disc, aka Gold/Collector/Ultimate/GOTY/etc. Edition?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

As far as I understand it is the "Ultimate edition". With an upgrade path for those that own any piece from earlier.

So new players will only buy "Universe".
Sabin Stargem

Post by Sabin Stargem »

Angry Joe and other Youtubers are hurting right now, because Youtube's Content ID system is very unfair. If a developer offered permission to review the game, it may be possible for some video reviewers to put the game on stage.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Angry Joe has just posted an update on the copyright battle. For the relatively simple videos that you would expect for DW and as you say with permission it should be okay, but Angry Joe obviously mixes it up a lot in the material he uses.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”