Help. I really think I need it...

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

Anguille

RE: Help. I really think I need it...

Post by Anguille »

ORIGINAL: BlackKgt

No question is ever to basic. It is those that are not ask and then we wonder how to get it done. To :Load on transport: all you do is have the unit next to a port sysmbol and then click the unit, then for te move, click on the port symbol and the unit is now on the transport. Hope this helps you.
You also need to have sea transport points (you can buy these). Not every country has points to begin with.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Anguille

ORIGINAL: BlackKgt

No question is ever to basic. It is those that are not ask and then we wonder how to get it done. To :Load on transport: all you do is have the unit next to a port sysmbol and then click the unit, then for te move, click on the port symbol and the unit is now on the transport. Hope this helps you.
You also need to have sea transport points (you can buy these). Not every country has points to begin with.
shanehogfan

shanehogfan

The above is true to a point, arrive at a port on a turn, "then on the next turn your unit(s) are eligible to load/embark onto transport". If that does not work check your transport points for that owning units' nation, buying transport points will immediately qualify units to embark.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
elkinsjames02

Post by elkinsjames02 »

More specifically, move into a port. The next turn, select the unit you wish to embark as if you were selecting it for a normal land move. When you select it you'll see the dots on land hexes where it can move, but you'll also see one or more white anchor symbols on adjacent sea hexes. Click on one of the anchor symbols and the unit will be replaced by a transport unit in that hex. Next turn, move the transport like any naval unit. If the move leaves the unit adjacent to a clear land hex, when you select it the following turn you'll have the option of continuing its naval move or of moving it onto an adjacent land hex.
elkinsjames02

Post by elkinsjames02 »

I keep hearing experienced gamers talking about how hard this game is. Got a feeling that part of the problem comes from those gamers having a lot of experience playing WW2 games. Try starting from scratch...play the Entente against a handicapped AI and DO NOT FEEL COMPELLED TO ATTACK BEFORE NOVEMBER!!! Your initial goal is to defend. Do that. It's more costly to attack, and unnecessary attacks just weaken your ability to defend. With the French, for example, except for targets of extreme opportunity (arty, air and isolated units), DO NOT ATTACK until you've upgraded your units (to at least the "Industrialized Warfare" level). Sustained offensive ops shouldn't even be considered until you have strong front-line forces with infantry reserves, arty/air support and an industrial base to meet ammo demands. Between offensives, put your troops in defensible positions where the enemy must attack you. When you choose to attack, pick realistic objectives....no more than one or two strategic hexes that will force the enemy to redeploy his line.
Flimbo

Post by Flimbo »

I beat the game the first try playing Entente (balanced) but CP is really a challenge. In the third try I could stabilize the eastern front and make some progress in Serbia and France, but I had to load a lot of games to correct minor flaws in my stratetgy. Very important is to fortify every new front line (i.e. Italy) some turns in advance, then it is much easier to hold your ground.

What really annoys me though is that roughly 4 of 5 battles end against the prediction and in favor of the AI. Honestly, when being in offense I sometimes have to load a lot of times when attacking a decisive hex because the AI (even weakened units with about 7 strength and very low efficency) often repels 3-4 infantry attacks and is just replaced the next turn so that all my resources (men and ammo) were wasted. In turn, when an enemy infantry attacks my digged in infantry of the same level, potentially even crossing a river, the losses are often even or slightly higher on my side. There should be an option (just like in Panzercorps) where you can limit the "randomness" of the battle outcome.
Khryses

Post by Khryses »

Hokai it's my third game vs AI (normal) as the CP and it's now May 1916.

I've managed to shut down (in order) Belgium, Serbia, France, Italy and now Russia.

I have a fairly large military sitting in the east facing the now-peaceful Russian border, while my wolfpacks have done enough to annoy them that the US has now joined the UK in the war.

Aside from the continuing British presence in Egypt and the Sinai, the Entente no longer has a foothold anywhere that will spare them an amphibious assault - but they don't seem interested in surrendering.

Will taking Egypt from the silly sods be enough to push the UK into bending the knee? Or will I actually have to arrange a Sealion or something similar?

And if that's required, what would be the best approach to it?

I tried slipping across while British production was focused on Egypt and lost a garrison in Cornwall - the British are now a lot more serious about home defense and I can see the units entrenching around their cities from Calais.

On a strategic level I have three armed fighters, a pair of airships and three Austrian heavy bombers that I could start harassing London with if that's a way to break their morale?
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Khryses

Hokai it's my third game vs AI (normal) as the CP and it's now May 1916.

I've managed to shut down (in order) Belgium, Serbia, France, Italy and now Russia.

I have a fairly large military sitting in the east facing the now-peaceful Russian border, while my wolfpacks have done enough to annoy them that the US has now joined the UK in the war.

Aside from the continuing British presence in Egypt and the Sinai, the Entente no longer has a foothold anywhere that will spare them an amphibious assault - but they don't seem interested in surrendering.

Will taking Egypt from the silly sods be enough to push the UK into bending the knee? Or will I actually have to arrange a Sealion or something similar?

And if that's required, what would be the best approach to it?

I tried slipping across while British production was focused on Egypt and lost a garrison in Cornwall - the British are now a lot more serious about home defense and I can see the units entrenching around their cities from Calais.

On a strategic level I have three armed fighters, a pair of airships and three Austrian heavy bombers that I could start harassing London with if that's a way to break their morale?
Borrowed the below quote from the 1.4.2 patch thread: It might help in determining a course to bring down England's NM.
Hi Bob,I tracked this down in the Game Morale script.

The heading states NO LONGER USED?

-- no longer used
--~ function CaptureMoraleEffect(captor, construction)
--~ if construction.type == Construction.TYPE_CITY or construction.type == Construction.TYPE_FORTRESS then
--~ -- morale loss for original owner
--~ local owner = construction.hex.originalFaction
--~ ChangeFactionMorale(owner, -100)

--~ -- morale boost for captor's factions
--~ for faction in captor.factions do
--~ ChangeFactionMorale(faction, 50)
--~ end
--~ elseif construction.type == Construction.TYPE_CAPITAL then
--~ -- morale loss for original owner
--~ local owner = construction.hex.originalFaction
--~ ChangeFactionMorale(owner, -200)

--~ -- morale boost for captor's factions
--~ for faction in captor.factions do
--~ ChangeFactionMorale(faction, 100)
--~ end
--~ end
--~ end

If you loose a City or Fortress = -10% Morale loss to your Nation.
If you loose a Capital City = -20% Morale loss to your Nation.

If you Capture a City or Fortress = +5 Morale boost.
If you Capture a Capital City = +10 Morale boost.

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 4/10/2014 7:06:44 AM >

Depending on England's NM, just by taking Cairo and surrounding ports and fort, plus the unit losses to England, often is enough to bring 0% NM to England, causing a surrender. Have plenty of cruisers on hand for the assault on Britten, keep bombing the heck out of the cities and units, which causes further NM reduction, every time a unit step is killed or units are killed. Bombarding cities with BB has a lasting effect on PP and NM. Capturing Scapa Flow is a good place to start. Try bombing alternate cities each turn, get better results. Use feint anfib assaults, will drive him/AI crazy. When England's units move, then bomb them, usually results in kills.
Khryses

Post by Khryses »

Cheers, it wasn't quite as simple as that but after storming Egypt, Gibraltar, Cyprus, Malta, Ireland and Scapa Flow, sinking the last of the RN, strategically flattening all the cities in southern England, stopping the convoys butt-cold and finally opening a second(?) front with Lvl IX Infantry and Tanks in Scotland the UK agreed to surrender.

I'm thinking Churchill got into power a few decades early!

The US still refused to surrender, although they were largely ineffectual and we ran out the clock with a few probing attacks up around Boston.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Khryses

Cheers, it wasn't quite as simple as that but after storming Egypt, Gibraltar, Cyprus, Malta, Ireland and Scapa Flow, sinking the last of the RN, strategically flattening all the cities in southern England, stopping the convoys butt-cold and finally opening a second(?) front with Lvl IX Infantry and Tanks in Scotland the UK agreed to surrender.

I'm thinking Churchill got into power a few decades early!

The US still refused to surrender, although they were largely ineffectual and we ran out the clock with a few probing attacks up around Boston.
Yes, those people from BOSTON are real tough (tongue in cheek). BOSTON STRONG![:)]

Return to “The War Room”