Moving modded savegame to new machine

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

tylertoo

Moving modded savegame to new machine

Post by tylertoo »

I have a new laptop and have DW-Shadows fully installed on it now. I have been playing DW on my old laptop, using Extended Races mod, and then further modded by myself to include some specific leaders of my own creation.

To play this savegame, I obviously need to move the savegame folder over to the appropriate spot on the new machine's installation. But is there anything else I need to get it to run properly?
Solarius Scorch

RE: Moving modded savegame to new machine

Post by Solarius Scorch »

As with virtually any game nowadays (which should be punishable by incineration), the saved games is stored in Documents and Settings. The problem is that it may vary a lot between machines, especially with non-English Windows.

In my case, it's currently in C:\Users\[my username]\AppData\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.9.0.11\SavedGames. If it doesn't work for you (which probably won't), just open your game and make a new save with a distinctive name (like LeninIsEternal.dwg or something equally silly, as long as it's unlike anything you have on your disk) and simply use a file search program.
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

You should find it (the folders for each patch used) by going to:

%appdata%\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds

Enter this address in the address field of your file explorer (open any folder).
Deathball

Post by Deathball »

ORIGINAL: Solarius Scorch

As with virtually any game nowadays (which should be punishable by incineration), the saved games is stored in Documents and Settings. The problem is that it may vary a lot between machines, especially with non-English Windows.

Thats not the developers fault, Windows 7 doesn't let games manipulate files inside the program files directory
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Not having files in the program files directory is a good idea. But appData is a very cryptic folder, which makes them well hidden.

I think it is also a folder hidden by default... '

DW could make a folder in Documents, though, I have a few games that have the saves there.
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

I'm not sure my question in the OP was clear.

I do know where the savegame folder is, and moving it to the new machine is no problem. The question is: this game is modded with Extended Races and my own further changes. Beyond the savegame folder, is there anything else I need to port over to the new laptop? Or is the save game folder enough?

Thanks!
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

You need the mod, of course. As long as you install and enable that one, you should load your game just fine.
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

You need the mod, of course. As long as you install and enable that one, you should load your game just fine.

Thanks Bing. I could remember if the characters txt file that I modified is within the savegame folder or the mod folder or something else entirely. I'll give it a go.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

If you got the old computer, you could just copy the whole DW folder across.

Return to “Design and Modding”