can the F-22 replace the f-117 in the role as a strike aircraft?

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

lowchi

can the F-22 replace the f-117 in the role as a strike aircraft?

Post by lowchi »

Greetings!

My question is, can the F-22 replace the F-117 in missions to (first)strike
in a Theater with heavy Air defence. (I know the F-22 was primaliry designed as a Fighter)

For Example:

In the first night of the Operation "Iraqi Freedom", the Nighthawks flew strikes
into Baghdad for high value targets.

Do you think the Air Force is considering to do this with the Raptors in the Future?

I mean the F-22 is stealthier than the F-117 obviosly.
The only disadvantege i see is that the raptor can only take 1000lbs JDAM bombs.
Which are less powerfull and less accurate than the nighthawks 2000lbs Laser guided bombs. (correct me if i´m wrong)

i did not much testing in command about this subject yet.

What do you think?

I´m looking forward for your knowledge and opinions.

Thx!
navwarcol

RE: can the F-22 replace the f-117 in the role as a strike aircraft?

Post by navwarcol »

I believe the goal is to use the F-35 project for the "replacement".
Also to note is that unlike most retired USAF aircraft, the F-117 is still flown on occasion, it has not been sent to the "boneyard" and it would be a very simple matter to "unretire" a few of them if needed. They are still maintained for the most part.
lowchi

Post by lowchi »

thanks for your input,

i have heard this stories of F-117 still flying
(here is a link in case anyone is interested: http://www.aroundtherange.blogspot.co.at/ )

but from what i heard/read the reason is simply to test software an electronics for the F-35.

Do you really think they get the nighthawks out of there sleep? I mean there almost more than 30 years old.

And for the F-35: i think its is much less stealthier than a F-22
http://www.ausairpower.net/jsf.html

don´t get me wrong, i don´t wanna be a smartass.
Just wanna to discuss this [:)]
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

Oh no offense taken.
My point above about the F-35 was that I believe that was "the plan" but that aircraft has had a lot of problems in development.
The -117 has flown to test software as you said. But they are being maintained, so my only idea is that they are still possibly a contingency, especially with the problems the -35 has had.
IWS

Post by IWS »

The F22 can be used that way, certainly. And the Small Diameter Bomb (GB-39) was designed specifically for hard targets that would otherwise require larger bombs. Youtube has some nice videos of SDBs penetrating hardened aircraft shelters in tests. The F22 can carry 8 of them internally. That's modeled in the DB, as is a 45 mile range (glide bomb).

But every F22 you use for deep strike is one you aren't using for air supremacy. Given the limited number of F22s, the Air Force will have some tough decisions to make.

What's really interesting is that the AF is planning to integrate the SDB on B2 bombers. Assuming two SDBs replace one 500 pound bomb on that platform, (I haven't seen that confirmed yet) one bomber, 160 SDBs, potentially 160 targets per sortie.

That might be a decent argument for keeping the F22s on air supremacy duty.

Return to “The War Room”