Another Solo Global AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

markb50k

Another Solo Global AAR

Post by markb50k »

Hi folks, I am currently in the middle of a solitaire Global War scenario, and I'm loving the AAR's already being done on the forums. My sincere thanks to everyone! In fact, they have inspired me to do the same.

But, before I begin, is there interest in another AAR? It seems a lot of work, and it will take time away from me actually playing to post the AAR, so I want to make sure there is an audience.

Some background: I am a new player, never really played the boardgame except for a couple of turns when I was in college (around 1990). Fell in love with the game almost immediately so I have been awaiting the computer version for the duration.

My game is currently in the M/A 1941 turn, but I have made saves at every impulse and the beginning/end of each turn, so I can give a good report for each step of the way. Obviously recounting every die roll etc for the early turns will be impossible but I will post screenies of each theatre each step (likely each impulse) to show a visual progress for all to follow. I tried some strategies that ended up creating a very interesting game, in my opinion. Of course, I really am a WiF newbie, so some of the more elegant game play will surely be missing, and it should be pretty obvious where my inexperience comes into play. But hey, other newbies interested in the game may get some value seeing one of their own in action.

Anyway, if there's interest, I'll start posting ASAP. Thanks for your time :)
Cad908

RE: Another Solo Global AAR

Post by Cad908 »

I enjoy reading these, so count this as a go vote.

In my opinion, 1941 was the key year in the war. The German Barbarossa campaign and the Japanese attacks in the Near East set the framework for a Global War and the Axis' ultimate demise. To save some time you could present a quick strategic overview of your game to date then frame each powers' plans for the coming year(s). After you establish the goals, the experienced players on the board could offer some tips on how to achieve them as you play through the turns.

Just some thoughts,

Take care,

-Rob
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Cad908

In my opinion, 1941 was the key year in the war. The German Barbarossa campaign and the Japanese attacks in the Near East set the framework for a Global War and the Axis' ultimate demise. To save some time you could present a quick strategic overview of your game to date then frame each powers' plans for the coming year(s). After you establish the goals, the experienced players on the board could offer some tips on how to achieve them as you play through the turns.

Just some thoughts,

Take care,

-Rob
There are a lot of ways to do a summary of "what went before". For example, you could take each major power and state what it did (had done to it) for each of the previous turns. The USSR and USA wouldn't have done very much, so those reports would be short. Maybe one screenshot for a major power that hasn't done all that much. For example, USA build history using the Pools form. The current USSR position on its western border(s) with the neutrality pact form's summary tacked onto the screenshot. Italy and France should also have short writeups. Japan and China would be complementary. Germany and the Commonwealth would need longer writeups, probably with several screenshots: losses during bloody turns, current key positions: western Europe, northern Africa, the Atlantic war, Barbarossa preparations, etc.

My idea is that rather than take each turn and describe what each major power did, taking each major power and telling what it has done/accomplished in a series of turns makes for more compelling reading. I expect it would be easier to do since you could just gloss over the turns where nothing much happened.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Interest from me [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Cad908

Just some thoughts,

Take care,

-Rob
There are a lot of ways to do a summary of "what went before". For example, you could take each major power and state what it did (had done to it) for each of the previous turns. The USSR and USA wouldn't have done very much, so those reports would be short. Maybe one screenshot for a major power that hasn't done all that much. For example, USA build history using the Pools form. The current USSR position on its western border(s) with the neutrality pact form's summary tacked onto the screenshot. Italy and France should also have short writeups. Japan and China would be complementary. Germany and the Commonwealth would need longer writeups, probably with several screenshots: losses during bloody turns, current key positions: western Europe, northern Africa, the Atlantic war, Barbarossa preparations, etc.

My idea is that rather than take each turn and describe what each major power did, taking each major power and telling what it has done/accomplished in a series of turns makes for more compelling reading. I expect it would be easier to do since you could just gloss over the turns where nothing much happened.
Well said.

I follow all the AAR with interest and one more would be nice. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

Sounds good. Will start soon. Thanks!
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Go for it!
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
fredmans

Post by fredmans »

I read every AAR although I do not post much. Very interested if you would ake the time to do it.
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

OK, so what I'll do is capture the high points of the strategy and happenings and catch you all up on where the game is.

First, I'll talk about optional rules...

I based these decisions on some of my earlier playthroughs. In them, the Axis was never able to make enough headway (probably due to my conservative playstyle), so I wanted to take out some optional rules.

I decided to NOT use Oil Rules and LOS. I didn't really have any bug issues with them but I see them as needlessly complicated. Oil seems to only hurt the Axis, and LOS seems to affect the Allies most, as well.

Notice I also didn't do Food in Flames as I felt the Allies didn't need any more help.

I did do Chinese attack weakness, due to the slow progress I had seen from Japan in other games. I also did not do Allied Friction.

EDIT: Oh, and almost forgot, although I have the Partisan rule active, after the first couple of partisans showed up I saw how much of a bother they were. I've read up on differing views on the gamey-ness of partisans and feel that dedicated entire corps to chase partisans around in the rear areas is not what I consider fun or interesting gameplay, so at some point in the game, I just always set the partisans to 0% of occurring.

On the next posts I'll try to hit each major power and update you to the present.

Attachments
T01I0100.jpg
T01I0100.jpg (659.53 KiB) Viewed 831 times
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

Pacific Theater of Operations: 1939

China
Goals: establish a spread defense with concentration in North for Communists around Sian, Center and South for Nationalists. Chiang will start around Changsha with double stacked defense using mountain terrain where possible. Picket defense in south utilizing mountains primarily. In general, defend in depth trading space for time.

Setup: North

notice the single defender in Chengchow, a speed bump to give the Communists time to react to any aggression up north.

Attachments
T01I0102.jpg
T01I0102.jpg (777.46 KiB) Viewed 830 times
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

China
Setup: South

Attachments
T01I0103.jpg
T01I0103.jpg (783.28 KiB) Viewed 830 times
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

Japan

Goals: Given the Russian setup which concentrated on Europe, the Japanese strategy will leave a token force in Manchuria. In fact, the key piece of Japan's early war strategy is to overwhelm the Chinese in the south and secure the railways plus the two resources up to Changsha. As you saw in the screenshots above, only militia/garrison units were left to cover the north while all heavy units were concentrated in the ports on the south. This strategy eventually proves itself out but in the early going, the Chinese force the Japanese to change their plans slightly as the situation developed, which I will show below.

In the initial setup, Japan broke down all the Marine Corps, which allowed them to choose a Naval in the first impulse and move all units from Japan, plus units from Manchuria (Terauchi HQ) to the South for a full assault.

The initial Chinese reaction, after seeing little Japanese presence in most of China, was to aggressively move up, both Nationalist and Communist to claim the cities left undefended by the Japanese.

Here is how China looks early in Sept/Oct 39 after the Japanese have made their landings in the South.

Attachments
T01I0401.jpg
T01I0401.jpg (812.93 KiB) Viewed 830 times
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

Japan

And here we see the Communists and Nationalists moving up to fill the vacuum left in the Japanese lines. At this point, the Japanese realize that perhaps they should of left 1 HQ up north so that their units are not always out of supply and have some mobility. Plans are started to figure out how to get one up there quickly.

The Communists are also intent on dislodging that 1 militia east of Chengshow, which they end up destroying by the end of the first turn.

Attachments
T01I0402.jpg
T01I0402.jpg (887 KiB) Viewed 830 times
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

End of Sept/Oct

By the end of the first turn, the Communists have overrun the Korean militia, for the only casualty of the war. In the south, the bulk of the Japanese forces have reached the rail-line and are looking for a way of overwhelming whatever the Nationalists have been able to reposition to meet the southern gambit. A couple of cities have been liberated by the Nationalists, but that was an acceptable loss for the Japanese as long as they start seeing some gains in the south.

North:

Attachments
T01END01.jpg
T01END01.jpg (886.45 KiB) Viewed 830 times
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

End of Sept/Oct

Southern China:

Attachments
T01END02.jpg
T01END02.jpg (889.12 KiB) Viewed 830 times
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

Nov/Dec - Japanese gains

Here we see the after-effect of the first losses on the Chinese side. Its a three sided attack that results in a 5-3 INF and 4-2 MIL being destroyed in the center of the Chinese line with the Japanese encircling from the West as well. The Warlord units are helpless to intervene as they are at their limits in distance from their home cities.

Also notice the Umezu HQ working its way down to the coast so it can be transported up north to assist with the defense there. The Communists are getting frisky and they want to establish some stability.

Attachments
T02PTOFIRSTKILL.jpg
T02PTOFIRSTKILL.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 830 times
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

European Theater of Operations: 1939

USA
Goals:
- As soon as possible select US Entry options that restrict flow of resources to Japan. Be very picky about other options, and where possible only select options that will result in moving tension chits, with the target goals being the "gear-up" options to raise US production.
- Militarily, not much to do right now, other than evac MacArthur to American Samoa.
- Save, save, and save BPs where possible, in fact, only work on raising ship gearing limits with the goal of hitting 8 at Jan/Feb 41 for the new carriers.
- Other allies will also assist with this mission by not doing anything overly aggressive so as not to hurt US Entry. (i.e. USSR not claiming Baltic States until necessary).
- place all planes into reserve until war or moving CVs to Pearl.

USSR
Goals:
- "wink, wink" agreement with Japan to not stuff borders around Manchuria, allowing both nations to pursue other strategies.
- put in claims for Bessarabia and Finland as soon as possible.
- delay claim on Eastern Poland until after pilots interned for CW
- longer term goal: once US is in war, all bets are off. Persia, Manchuria are all up for grabs if not at war with Germany.
- place all planes into reserve until Germany starts really pumping up border garrison

France
Goals:
- bring non-territorial troops home for defense of France proper.
- build out territorials and militias
- not realistic, yes, I know, but find hiding spots for French forces in likely to go Free French areas. Let CW handle most of the Naval burden in Europe, with payment of BPs going from France to CW to cover.
- keep at least one SUB in Med to harass Italians
- keep one Carrier plane in Africa to hopefully gain a Free French pilot
- keep fingers crossed that BP to Free France gets fixed by Steve sometime during this war :)
- once France falls, split fleet with half going to Pacific to relieve some burden on CW/USA

CW
Goals:
- land BEF in France ASAP. Allocate only 1 HQ.
- Build up Egypt with as many CW regular army corps as possible.
- garrison Malta with Royal Engineers, reinforce with territorial when able.
- garrison Gibraltar with 1 corps at start, reinforce when able.
- move all territorials and conquered survivor units to India and UK for Sealion/Japan defense
- assign control of all attacked minors to CW.

Will update with Axis goals/objectives next post
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

ORIGINAL: markb50k

USA
Goals:
- As soon as possible select US Entry options that restrict flow of resources to Japan. Be very picky about other options, and where possible only select options that will result in moving tension chits, with the target goals being the "gear-up" options to raise US production.
- Militarily, not much to do right now, other than evac MacArthur to American Samoa.
- Save, save, and save BPs where possible, in fact, only work on raising ship gearing limits with the goal of hitting 8 at Jan/Feb 41 for the new carriers.
- Other allies will also assist with this mission by not doing anything overly aggressive so as not to hurt US Entry. (i.e. USSR not claiming Baltic States until necessary).
- place all planes into reserve until war or moving CVs to Pearl.

Really good start and I am looking forward to your AAR.

As to US entry, I generally get tension to 11 in both pools, then build entry to 22. For the US, Gear up production is their primary objective in the early game as it doubles their production allowing it to build out the navy and begin assembling the air units which eventually rule the skies.

Pressuring Japan is nice, but this early in the game they will be adding resources from Chinese conquests. You are not using Oil in this game, so Oil Embargo will not be the threat that forces Japan into action. Remember, when you trigger Embargo on strategic materials you are not required to trade a resource (Japan still gets 3) but they do not send a build point either, so this presents no problem to them. I like the Entry Options directed against ALL (Intern French CV, Gift of destroyers to CW) to manipulate the tension pools and both are very useful to the Allies.

Just some thoughts.

-Rob
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

Good point on the ALL options. Flexibility to choose which pool the tension moves from is a good goal. Thanks for the advice
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

European Theater of Operations: 1939

Italy
Goals:
- Honestly, still trying to figure out the right way to play Italy. She is very scared of what the allies can do to her if left vulnerable. So first steps are to consolidate forces in Libya, bringing the 3-3 INF and SUPPLY unit back from East Africa.
- Break down smaller 3-3 and 4-3 INF to divisions to allow greater invasion capacity
- Stay neutral as long as possible and try to time DOW with CW/France with attack on Greece
- Align Yugoslavia after invasion of Greece (w/ German help)
- Longer term goal of taking Cyprus and Malta
- Use Libya as much as a threat to pin down CW forces.

Germany
Goals:
- Poland, Denmark, and preferably Netherlands first turn.
- Use a combined to do a seaborne invasion with 1 DIV on Rotterdam as a continengency
- Break-down 1 MOT to take Denmark in 1 impulse
- At this point, attempt to either incomplete conquer France or Vichy then immediately collapse. Ultimate goal is Spain/Gibraltar, and want to give Indo-china to Japan without a fight.
- Balkans: goal to align Yugo. DOW on Hungary and Bulgaria to allow aligning of Rumania as full ally. Then DOW Greece. After seeing other AARs, next time through I may try letting USSR DOW on Rumania and force peace which would give me same end-result with more aligned countries.
- After that, who knows?

Here is the setup just prior to invading Poland:
(Notice forces ready to invade Hungary, as well as DIVs ready to invade Denmark)

Attachments
T01I0101.jpg
T01I0101.jpg (862.68 KiB) Viewed 830 times

Return to “After Action Report”