office

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

michaelbaldur

office

Post by michaelbaldur »

steve, it would be nice to see a couple of pictures of your work space/ office ..

could be nice to see you computer/screen setup
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: office

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

With some hesitation, ...

The MWIF map on the white board is from 3 years ago when I printed it out on 8.5 by 11 paper and then taped them together. I use it for reference from time to time.

The painting of the palm trees and waves is analogous to how I feel sometimes as I fight against the natural forces that cause bugs in software.

Attachments
IMG_0198.jpg
IMG_0198.jpg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 66 times
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

I see headphones... what music do you listen to while coding?
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
Shannon V. OKeets

Map pack on the left, manuals in the center, stop watch close at hand (for optimizing supply search routines).

The right monitor has the source code on the left (I am debugging why the Remove Air subphase is skipped most of the time). The other 5 panels are all part of Delphi with a list of modules (separate Pascal files) in the center and the Messages panel at the bottom (for results of source code searches) being used most often.

The game is running on the left of the left monitor with a debug message/prompt. On the right of the left monitor is WordPerfect, showing my current "Changes Since" file.

Attachments
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 63 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

Printed copies of the modules. There are over 250 Pascal files. The listing were useful during development but I don't use them very much now that I am debugging almost exclusively. When I get a chance, I update all these listings.

Attachments
IMG_0203.jpg
IMG_0203.jpg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 62 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

The view east from our small lanai. This is from a couple years ago - the sun was too bright today looking east at 8:30 in the morning. That's Diamond Head in the distance and the Waikiki hotels on the right, blocking any hope of a view of the ocean. Obama lived in the condominium in the lower right corner when he was going to grade school and high school here. Punahou Street is our address and it runs north-south below our lanai. Punahou School is two blocks up the street to the left.

Attachments
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 63 times
Steve

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Great pictures!!

Definitely a belt and braces workspace [:)]

Is it in your own 'man cave'? ( as my missus calls my study )......wives don't seem to understand we need our own bit of space... harumph!!

Keep up the good work Steve!!
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

Shannon V. OKeets

The view north from our large lanai. The trade winds are from the NE and bring the clouds over the mountains, dumping most of the rain on the windward side of the island. We're on the leeward, and don't get all that much rain.

Attachments
IMG_0206.jpg
IMG_0206.jpg (3.48 MiB) Viewed 62 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

The view NW from our kitchen. IN the distance is Punchbowl. At its top is the war memorial cemetery for WW II (and other wars). Notice all the solar panels. Our building is thinking about getting a set for our roof - the cost of fuel (and therefore electricity) in Hawaii is the highest in the US.

Attachments
IMG_0207.jpg
IMG_0207.jpg (3.86 MiB) Viewed 62 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

Last in the series. The view SW from our kitchen. See! There is an ocean view - sort of. Actually the strip of land in the far distant center is on the far side of Pearl Harbor. That's Ewa and I can check the weather out there in the morning before driving over to play golf (my preferred golf course). If it looks like rain in Ewa, there are another dozen courses within a 20 minute drive.

Now why am I sitting at a keyboard?[&:][&:][&:]

[Except for the picture of Diamond Head, all the others I took this morning.]

Attachments
IMG_0208.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg (3.43 MiB) Viewed 62 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

I see headphones... what music do you listen to while coding?
I use them when talking via Skype and for recording tutorial videos. I plan on recording another tutorial video sometime this month for placing convoys and routing resources - but there are other more important things to do first for MWIF.

I've been listening to the bass track of barbershop songs I need to memorize for our show March 22nd. That's not a lot of time given that I need to learn 9 new songs and refresh my memory for another 3. I just play a song over and over and over and over. Hopefully that will do most of the work. Then a few hours at the piano and weekly chorus rehearsals should do the rest.
Steve

celebrindal

Post by celebrindal »

Well if your up for a lunch some time let me know, and I'll regal you with my 'deal from hell' as Harry put it..

I'm going to be in Waikiki Mar 16-20th...

Order is nothing more than Chaos on a bad day.

Dave
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: celebrindal

Well if your up for a lunch some time let me know, and I'll regal you with my 'deal from hell' as Harry put it..

I'm going to be in Waikiki Mar 16-20th...

Give me a call when you get here. I'm in the phone book.
Steve

Ingtar

Post by Ingtar »

I was going to ask where the stress relief ball was. However, seeing those views, I withdraw the question.
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Cue Hawaii Five-0. [:D]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ9xfNn09eQ

Nice views from your office.
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

Return to “World in Flames”