Flashpoint Campaigns red storm

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Phoenix100

Flashpoint Campaigns red storm

Post by Phoenix100 »

Since I know and trust the opinion of the people who use this forum, thought I would ask here about flashpoint campaigns red storm, before I consider buying. Is it any good? As a guide to what I like - I like AI!!! So, I bought and stopped playing WITE because I got sick to death of having to move every single piece. I've gotten spoiled by playing BFTB, where there is a simulation of friendly AI, but it's hard to find that elsewhere, to be honest. I think GTOS has it a little (not on the scale of BFTB, but a little, which is unusual for a pretty and tactical level game), recently I discovered Steam and Iron also has a certain degree of scaleable friendly AI(pretty simplistic - but it works), and CMANO also has to a growing extent. What's FCRS like? Is it more like WITE, or more like BFTB, in this respect? Your opinions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Peter
BletchleyGeek

RE: Flashpoint Campaigns red storm

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Since I know and trust the opinion of the people who use this forum, thought I would ask here about flashpoint campaigns red storm, before I consider buying. Is it any good? As a guide to what I like - I like AI!!! So, I bought and stopped playing WITE because I got sick to death of having to move every single piece. I've gotten spoiled by playing BFTB, where there is a simulation of friendly AI, but it's hard to find that elsewhere, to be honest. I think GTOS has it a little (not on the scale of BFTB, but a little, which is unusual for a pretty and tactical level game), recently I discovered Steam and Iron also has a certain degree of scaleable friendly AI(pretty simplistic - but it works), and CMANO also has to a growing extent. What's FCRS like? Is it more like WITE, or more like BFTB, in this respect? Your opinions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

It is a fantastic wargame - I do really like the variable time WEGO impulses modeling initiative, staff work, quality of communications, etc. In Command Ops, you get something like that as your command responsiveness varies due to staff quality, etc. But while Flashpoints achieves that in a "top-down" manner, here you get it in a "bottom-up" way.

It is the only other wargame, apart from Combat Mission and Histwar if it ever works, where it is possible to sneak into your opponent Boyd cycle by making decisions at the right time. Besides that, in Flashpoint you get a good portrayal of certain aspects of contemporary warfare (such as detection by wireless signal ranging and interception) which aren't available in Command Ops.

I would say it's more in a middle ground between WitE and Command Ops. It uses hexagons, the friendly AI is very, very tactical but it's there, and it can trace routes for you. Unit counts is much lower than WitE, and even if its Friendly AI capabilities aren't in the same league - very limited friendly AI formation control, no complex planning - that the ones featured by Command Ops they're functional and helpful.

In a nutshell: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

EDITs: Fixed my Engrish, which is quite strong tonight [>:]
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks Miguel. Much appreciated. You give it a good press! But can you clarify - there's no ability to give orders to groups in a hierarchy, as in BFTB? You can't give an order to a Bn and the BN (AI) will work out what the companies do? Or to a Division and the division (AI) works out what the Bns do?
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Thanks Miguel. Much appreciated. You give it a good press! But can you clarify - there's no ability to give orders to groups in a hierarchy, as in BFTB? You can't give an order to a Bn and the BN (AI) will work out what the companies do? Or to a Division and the division (AI) works out what the Bns do?

You can give movement orders to an HQ and it will trace routes for its (direct?) subordinates. Just routes. Other unit reactions are determined by the SOP you assign to them. But these SOP's scope is limited to single units. Now that I come to think of it, Flashpoint does remember quite a bit to the TACOPS system. More playable and refined, though.

A disclaimer: I haven't had the time to play it in over a month, I'd suggest you do some research in their forums and see what they've been changing in the past two months.

wodin

Post by wodin »

Best Wargame released in years in my opinion. FCRS and CO are easy the best wargames in Matrix Stable. I suppose I should throw the two GG monster games in aswell..but FCRS plays great. Easy to learn, hard to master and loads of fun. Also a superb committed development team who have some great plans for the game in the future..so it will only get a better and is a superb investment. Take the next patch for instance..one new campaign and two new scenarios..for free!

FCRS and Command Ops are the two games I'm really excited about and itching for future titles.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks Miguel, Jason. I might buy it. Still thinking...and it looks like the CO patch now imminent, so FCRS suddenly less appealing...

Peter
pekische

Post by pekische »

I have to add. CO and FCRS are my the best games now...
wodin

Post by wodin »

Well you can't go wrong..and why not have both games..they are both superb. When your not feeling like a realtime game FCRS is the perfect wargame. I'm not a big Modern War fan..though cold war gone hot is OK. However FCRS game mechanics are genius and make it so fun to play..You'll be begging them for a WW2 version I reckon. Seriously BUY it!!

Thanks Miguel, Jason. I might buy it. Still thinking...and it looks like the CO patch now imminent, so FCRS suddenly less appealing...

Peter

Return to “Command Ops Series”