New player... lost.

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

pjdegrieck

New player... lost.

Post by pjdegrieck »

Hello,

I'm a Panzer Corp, Distant Worlds, and Operation Star vet. But I'm new to this "type" of detailed war game. I can't figure a few things out for the life of me, and it's not in the manual (so I think).

1. Command units. How do I know which units these units "command". I can see the command radius, but not sure which units are their subordinates.
2. Will a command unit "command" any unit? Making my first question moot?
3. Numbers and letters on the cards. I know the bottom left number is the number of tanks, etc in the card, but what about letters like T, W. followed by S, or O. I have no clue what this means. Then Right below the vehicle graphic, there will be 4/2, 2/2 RTR, 2/MTR. Etc. Im sure these stand for something, like tank, motor, etc. But anything more specific?

I want to learn, enjoy, and master this game. So please give me a hand!

Thanks!
demiller

RE: New player... lost.

Post by demiller »

ORIGINAL: Fartsicle

I'm a Panzer Corp, Distant Worlds, and Operation Star vet. But I'm new to this "type" of detailed war game. I can't figure a few things out for the life of me, and it's not in the manual (so I think).

There's a lot to learn, I know! Take a look at section 8.1 of the manual, on page 65. That will cover a lot of what you're asking.
1. Command units. How do I know which units these units "command". I can see the command radius, but not sure which units are their subordinates.

If you look in the upper right corner of the counter, you'll see that corner is colored. All units in the same chain of command have the same color triangle. Also, click on the OB tab of the Command Notebook on the right side of the screen. That gives you a hierarchical list of units, show which is subordinate to which. You can even drag and drop units in this hierarchy to change your command structure to "task organize" your force.
2. Will a command unit "command" any unit? Making my first question moot?

No, units are only in command if they are within the command radius of their direct HQ unit.
3. Numbers and letters on the cards. I know the bottom left number is the number of tanks, etc in the card, but what about letters like T, W. followed by S, or O. I have no clue what this means. Then Right below the vehicle graphic, there will be 4/2, 2/2 RTR, 2/MTR. Etc. Im sure these stand for something, like tank, motor, etc. But anything more specific?

There's a nice graphic on page 65 that illustrates this. "T" means the unit vehicles are tracked, "W" means they are wheeled. "L" are leg units, i.e. dismounted infantry. This is known as "movement class" and has an impact on how different units move in different terrain.

The letter or number in the bottom right corner indicates unit orders. "S" is screen, "H" is hold, "A" is assault, etc. The red/black triangle that moves around the counter indicates direction of travel.

Finally, the designations like "2/2/15" are the unit designations, and indicate which HQ that unit is part of. The example I gave would be something like "2nd Platoon/2nd Company/15th Battalion" for example. This is basically the name of the unit.

Hope this helps! FPC:RS is a much more in-depth game than something like Panzer Corps. Don't be surprised or put off is you get pounded on by the AI the first few times you play it. Being successful means understanding the real tactics that would be used by the actual armies involved - and that's a lot more complicated than you may be used to. Mastering those tactics is great fun though! Take a look at the posts in the War Room for tips, look for AARs, and play, play, play!

I have an AAR here you can take a look at, if you'd like.
AKA panzerde
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Welcome to Flashpoint Campaign. Yes, FPC is more complicated that say Panzer Corp, but probably about the same as Distant Worlds which I play too. FPC is more of a simulation that attempts to replicate the tactics and strategy of actual combat. It places you in the role of a commander.
If you don't have military experience it could be daunting at first. But if you stay with it and it can be quite rewarding.

I will try to answer your questions.
1. Headquarter units control only those units under their command. In the order of battle tree (OOB) in the UDP panel (OB tab) units attached to specific headquarters (HQ) are arranged underneath them and has dotted lines that show that they are attached and under command. If you click on one of the units in the OOB tree it will be highlighted on the map. You can find which units are attached to who that way. In the upcoming patch, you can alt-click on a HQ unit and it will highlight units under its control making it easier.
2. No, a unit must be attached to a HQ in order to be in command. HQ do not command units not attached to them.
3. Letters T, W, S, O, H stand for: T=Tracked vehicles, W=Wheeled vehicles, L=Legs units (units that walk), S=unit is in a screen profile (sitting in available cover observing the area), O=units on-call (units like artillery and mortars waiting on orders to fire), H=Hold profiles (unit dug into cover with intentions of staying put and not letting the enemy push them off)
The numbers/letters right before the unit is the unit's nomenclature/name. It really is shorthand for the unit's name. Example: 1/B/TF 1-5 would be 1st platoon of B Company of Task Force 1st Battalion 5th Regiment.

I know that this will not answer all your questions. If you have specific questions, feel free to send me a PM and I will answer them as best I can. You can also post here and if I can't I am sure that someone can.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Fartsicle

Thanks!

When I get a chance, later today, I'll give you some graphic help.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
pjdegrieck

Post by pjdegrieck »

Thanks so much for all your help. This is far more than what I expected. When I get home from work this evening and get settled in, I'll definitely take all the information you guys gave me and put it to use in the Fulda Gap! I'll post my results later.
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

Fartsicle, a quick tip on command and command ranges

You should try to keep your units within their direct HQ command range, if you don't inf/tanks/recce and helo lose the Assault command and arty loses most of its arty command functions

If a unit is out of range of its direct HQ but within range of another HQ you can drag and drop the unit from 1 HQ to another HQ via the OB tab, this is very useful when trying to carry out flanking attacks but moving a HQ or unit close together could result in a nasty shot or two hitting your HQ.
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

First recommendation, stay out of Fulda Gap. It's too big. Too many things happen that will be hard for you to decipher.

Try the introductory scenario; A Time To Dance.

Good Hunting.

MR

pjdegrieck

Post by pjdegrieck »

Thanks for the help. I played my first scenario, besides the tutorial, and won. I played the Rhino scenario as NATO, and defeated the soviets. Here is my report:

Greetings from the Inspectorate of the General Staff -

To: General, commanding TF Rhino

* In the battle of "HM_BS Rhino" your forces worth 7,602 points secured 61% (13907 vs 9076) of awarded victory points against an enemy force worth 6,888 points. The Inspectorate congratulates you and rates your performance as acceptable.

* Your force has claimed 7 Helo, 77 Tank, 1 APC, 8 HQ and 8 AD enemy subunits.

* Remaining force tally -
Active: 9 Recce, 17 Tank, 30 APC, 28 Inf, 7 SP AT, 6 HQ, 5 AD, 22 SP Arty and 2 Air.
Fallen out: 1 Recce, 18 Tank, 2 APC, 2 SP AT and 1 AD.
Destroyed: 16 Tank and 2 APC.

* By the end of the battle your units had a 91% average readiness and a command cyle duration of 24 minutes.

* Your force took significant - 10% - permanent losses and must refit for for a moderate time to recover the 24 fallen out subunit(s).

Staff evaluation complete.

Estimated subunit states at present time:

- British Forces:
Abbot - 8 starting.
Challenger 1 - 29 starting, 10 fallen out, 13 destroyed.
Chieftain Mk 11 - 14 starting, 6 fallen out, 3 destroyed.
Ferret AOP - 6 starting, 1 fallen out.
FV432 - 6 starting.
FV432 Mortar - 14 starting.
Headquarters - 6 starting.
Heavy MG - 4 starting.
Mechanized Rifle - 24 starting.
Scorpion - 8 starting, 2 fallen out.
Scout - 2 starting.
Spartan AOP - 2 starting.
Spartan MCT - 9 starting, 2 fallen out.
Tornado - 2 starting.
Tracked Rapier - 6 starting, 1 fallen out.
Warrior - 28 starting, 2 fallen out, 2 destroyed.

I would still be lost without your help. Off to bed and more scenarios tomorrow!
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Well, there you go. The game is easy to get into and start playing. It can take some time to get 'good' at it.

Good Hunting.

MR

demiller

Post by demiller »

Great job! Hope you are enjoying the game!
AKA panzerde
wodin

Post by wodin »

The Brits are the toughest side to play I feel.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”