Unable to rebase overrun Romanian destroyer

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

hazmaxed

Unable to rebase overrun Romanian destroyer

Post by hazmaxed »

I'm playing a solitaire Decline and Fall scenario. A Soviet unit has overrun the Romanian destroyer and an Axis convoy in Constanta. The convoy is able to rebase to a Bulgarian port, but the destroyer cannot. I'm stuck in the Rebase Overrun Units Digression Phase.
There is no overkill. There is only "open fire" and "reloading."
Courtenay

RE: Unable to rebase overrun Romanian destroyer

Post by Courtenay »

Try hitting backspace to destroy the unit.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

are you trying to seek a port with the destroyer? than above tip might work.
is the sidescreen with the destroyer not appearing and you cannot progress? Than above will not work. Did you intercept in the Black Sea?
hazmaxed

Post by hazmaxed »

Try hitting backspace to destroy the unit.

I tried this, it did not work. I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I have the destroyer "in hand," I hit backspace, and nothing happens.
are you trying to seek a port with the destroyer? than above tip might work. is the sidescreen with
the destroyer not appearing and you cannot progress? Than above will not work. Did you intercept in the Black Sea?

I am seeking a port for it. The side screen does appear. I assume you are talking about the small screen in the upper left that shows units that
are selectable for a phase. The screen appears with the 2 overrun units. I can select the convoy and place it in a Bulgarian port. I'm able to
select the destroyer, but I'm unable to place it in any port. There are 3 ports available in the Black Sea; 2 Bulgarian and Sevastapol (occupied
by a Hungarian unit, surrounded by Soviets.) There are no Soviet naval units occupying Black Sea boxes, so there is no interception. I just
can't rebase the Romanian destroyer, and can't end the phase.

hazmaxed

Post by hazmaxed »

Regarding the backspace key to destroy in-hand units, I reloaded the game from the start of the Soviet Land Movement phase, picked up a Soviet unit, and hit backspace. Nothing happened here, as well.
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

ORIGINAL: hazmaxed

I'm playing a solitaire Decline and Fall scenario. A Soviet unit has overrun the Romanian destroyer and an Axis convoy in Constanta. The convoy is able to rebase to a Bulgarian port, but the destroyer cannot. I'm stuck in the Rebase Overrun Units Digression Phase.

now i´m a little confused ..

shouldn´t both the CA and the convoy be Rumanian units .

or is it a German convoy

why can´t the CA rebase to Bulgaria, is there a message
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
hazmaxed

Post by hazmaxed »

now i´m a little confused .. shouldn´t both the CA and the convoy be Rumanian units . or is it a German convoy why can´t the CA rebase to Bulgaria, is there a message

It is a German convoy, and a Rumanian SCS. When the Soviet unit overruns Constanta, a message pops up for each unit saying it must be rebased. As I stated before, only the German convoy can be rebased to Bulgaria. The Rumanian SCS can't be rebased anywhere.

Also, there is no message saying the SCS can't rebase. When I pick up the unit and attempt to place it in a Bulgarian Port, the symbol on the unit remains an X, and I can't drop the unit.

Am I correct in saying that 2 different minor country units cannot cooperate, and therefore cannot stack with each other, or enter each other's country? If so, then I can understand why the Rumanian SCS can't rebase to a Bulgarian port and can't rebase to Sevastopol to stack with a Hungarian unit. The problem is that the game does not seem to be recognizing that there is no place for the SCS to go, and is not automatically destroying it.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

now i´m a little confused .. shouldn´t both the CA and the convoy be Rumanian units . or is it a German convoy why can´t the CA rebase to Bulgaria, is there a message

It is a German convoy, and a Rumanian SCS. When the Soviet unit overruns Constanta, a message pops up for each unit saying it must be rebased. As I stated before, only the German convoy can be rebased to Bulgaria. The Rumanian SCS can't be rebased anywhere.

Also, there is no message saying the SCS can't rebase. When I pick up the unit and attempt to place it in a Bulgarian Port, the symbol on the unit remains an X, and I can't drop the unit.

Am I correct in saying that 2 different minor country units cannot cooperate, and therefore cannot stack with each other, or enter each other's country? If so, then I can understand why the Rumanian SCS can't rebase to a Bulgarian port and can't rebase to Sevastopol to stack with a Hungarian unit. The problem is that the game does not seem to be recognizing that there is no place for the SCS to go, and is not automatically destroying it.

You sound correct. Looks like a bug. If you post a gamesave I can help you get past this phase by destroying the CA manually, will help your frustration level.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

The Rumanian CA is supposed to die. It cannot go to Bulgaria due to the FTC rule. It cannot go to Sevastopol and stack with the Hungarian unit due to the Co-operation rules.

As long as it is not a COiF game, then all countries' CPs that align with Germany become German CPs and can stack with any German-aligned minor and be in their country. (i.e. they lose their national "identity" except in Convoys in Flames)

The only problem here is that the mechanism to destroy the Rumanian CA - due to no port to go to - appears to either nor be working or is too esoteric to find.
Paul
hazmaxed

Post by hazmaxed »

Here is the saved game. It is the Soviet land movement phase. Just move one of the 2 Soviet units that are in the 2 swamp hexes north of Constanta, into Constanta.

Edit 1: Never mind, wrong file.

Edit 2: This should be the correct one (fingers crossed.)
Attachments
JulAug44 A..ed Imp 1.zip
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

Here is the saved game. It is the Soviet land movement phase. Just move one of the 2 Soviet units that are in the 2 swamp hexes north of Constanta, into Constanta.

Will be late evening Dutch time before I can have a go with it.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

It is a bug. Pressing F11 (undocumented feature) gives the list of possible ports the game thinks it can go to. It list Constanta itself (you can undo the move - but that doesn't solve anything) and Sevastapol. The latter is axis controlled, but because of the Hungarian unit not do-able due to cooperation stacking rules.

I have attached a game-save in which the Rom CA is now in the force pool. At least you can continue now. Good show you have chosen to liberate the low countries first! Didn't Prince Bernhard warn you of the 4th SS mech corps having R&R from the east front behind the big rivers? (lookup Market garden)

Good luck!

PS: your in-game user name does not match your Matrix user name. That will be a problem when you want to netplay.

Edits: various typo's and forgot to upload the file
Attachments
JulAug44 A..orcePool.zip
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

PS: your in-game user name does not match your Matrix user name. That will be a problem when you want to netplay.
Perhaps not. The forum names are not necessarily the same as the NetPlay server names.
Paul
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

Perhaps not. The forum names are not necessarily the same as the NetPlay server names.

Perhaps good to have a FAQ/explanation document on that. I am not interely sure what works and what doesn't.
hazmaxed

Post by hazmaxed »

I have attached a game-save in which the Rom CA is now in the force pool. At least you can continue now. Good show you have chosen to liberate the low countries first! Didn't Prince Bernhard warn you of the 4th SS mech corps having R&R from the east front behind the big rivers? (lookup Market garden)

Good luck!

Thank you. I was actually going to circumvent the bug by having the Soviets conquer Romania, but the Romanian HQ put up a heroic defense during the attack on Bucharest (bad die roll by the Soviets), so I haven't gotten rid of the Romanian Navy yet.

As to the invasion through the Low Countries, I thought I would try a shorter path to Berlin. It may end up being another version of "A Bridge Too Far." A Beach Too Close?
hazmaxed

Post by hazmaxed »

Yes, I am necroing an ancient post, because the ghost of the Rumanian destroyer refuses to move on.[;)]

Actually, this is a different game from the one 4 years ago. In the save, try moving one of the US units to Constanta. The message pops up saying it has been forced to re-base. The only Axis port on the Black sea is in Bulgaria, which it cannot rebase to (because of non-cooperation? I am unsure). Apparently the game does not recognize that there is no possible port to rebase to and does not automatically destroy the unit.

The backspace method works to destroy it, so I am able to move past this.

Attachments
GlobalWar..Allies7.zip
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Yes, I am necroing an ancient post, because the ghost of the Rumanian destroyer refuses to move on.[;)]

Actually, this is a different game from the one 4 years ago. In the save, try moving one of the US units to Constanta. The message pops up saying it has been forced to re-base. The only Axis port on the Black sea is in Bulgaria, which it cannot rebase to (because of non-cooperation? I am unsure). Apparently the game does not recognize that there is no possible port to rebase to and does not automatically destroy the unit.

The backspace method works to destroy it, so I am able to move past this.

That is the way it is suppose to work.

I didn't want the program destroying units on its own. Instead, the player has to use the Backspace key. That way I (the programmer) know that the player knows what happened to his unit.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

The Rumanian CA is supposed to die. It cannot go to Bulgaria due to the FTC rule.
It cannot go to Sevastopol and stack with the Hungarian unit due to the Co-operation rules.

As long as it is not a COiF game, then all countries' CPs that align with Germany become German CPs and can stack with any German-aligned minor and be in their country. (i.e. they lose their national "identity" except in Convoys in Flames)

The only problem here is that the mechanism to destroy the Rumanian CA - due to no port to go to - appears to either nor be working or is too esoteric to find.

That's it. Same problem, you can not use Bulgarian ports, so no rebase.

Return to “Tech Support”