micro management?

Scourge of War is the definitive American Civil War grand tactical wargame of this generation. With impressive 3D graphics, an award-winning AI, pausable real-time play, historical battlefield terrain and orders of battle down to the regiment and battery level, Scourge of War captures the tactical challenges that faced the real Union and Confederate commanders more than 130 years ago.

This forum covers the main game Gettysburg and its two expansions Antietam, Pipe Creek, and Chancellorsville!

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

zoot

micro management?

Post by zoot »

I am thinking of getting into this game. I do not like to micro manage. I like in depth war games and like to play civil war games on the division level. I would like opinions of players whether this would be an enjoyable game for me. I enjoyed the other Matrix civil war games.
Thanks,
zoot
thomas cook
2ndACR

RE: micro management?

Post by 2ndACR »

Not really the same as any of the others. Completely different animal. You can play at Brigade level with 1-6 regiments all the way up to Army command. Division command will see you commanding as Yanks, roughly 3 brigades each with 4 regiments and probably another 2 artillery batteries. Reb units are way bigger.

I am not sure how to advise you on this one. Nothing can beat the game for total immersion. We play 3-4 hour long MP battles. I prefer Corps command myself when playing Yanks. Micro level will be how much do you want to take over a battle line to counter act one of your lower level commanders. There are some you have to literally lead by the nose where you want them and then plant a boot in their butt to get them to do anything you want. Then there are some you have to leash and chain down to stay put and not run off or decide to take their unit and go poke the grizzly bear all by themselves.

You could easily take Corps command, issue orders to 3 div commanders and then just sit back and watch the battle unfold. But not much fun in that, especially once the battle is joined and you are watching the enemy flank your force but your div commanders decide the enemy to their front is more important than doing what you want them to do. Your best bet would be to grab the demo and take it for a whirl so you know exactly what you are getting, just getting a very very very tiny nibble though.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

In my opinion, SOW is really a tactical simulation with some micromanagement required. The feel that you are actually a part of a 19th century battle is pretty incredible, especially if you have visited the battlefields represented in the game.

I would not consider this a Divisional level game; more like brigade or regiment.
simovitch

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Being as you can take command of a division as the Army Commander it's divisional to me all the way. It's also regimental and brigade level if you want to play it that way. The real fun though is taking command of an army and letting the ai control the divisions and regiments and brigades and artillery detachments. On the opposite end playing a regiment by itself if fun too. Especially when you get to be the one to save the day.

Return to “Scourge of War Gettysburg Series”