An Update Problem

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Omnius

An Update Problem

Post by Omnius »

On Saturday I tried updating through the program's front end. I didn't know if there was a new update or not but decided to use the program to check.

I got some new download update program from something like True Update and after a minute or so I cancelled that download. It totally screwed up my update function inside MWiF. I just reinstalled the update.exe and .dat files after deleting them so I hope the update works properly this time.

Did anyone else have any problems trying to run an update from inside the program from end? Is some spam marketer trying to hijack the MWiF update function?

Omnius
AxelNL

RE: An Update Problem

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

On Saturday I tried updating through the program's front end. I didn't know if there was a new update or not but decided to use the program to check.

I got some new download update program from something like True Update and after a minute or so I cancelled that download. It totally screwed up my update function inside MWiF. I just reinstalled the update.exe and .dat files after deleting them so I hope the update works properly this time.

Did anyone else have any problems trying to run an update from inside the program from end? Is some spam marketer trying to hijack the MWiF update function?

Omnius

Worked fine/normal for me a couple of days ago, but a friend of mine updated his today and mentioned some strange things which sounded like warnings from his anti-virus. He ignored it and did start 1.09 afterwards - so that worked.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

Omnius

Worked fine/normal for me a couple of days ago, but a friend of mine updated his today and mentioned some strange things which sounded like warnings from his anti-virus. He ignored it and did start 1.09 afterwards - so that worked.

Same happened here when updating. But it does happen ofter here, because it appears Matrix doesn't have a publishers safety license with Microsoft...
Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Omnius
I just now updated to 1.0.9 and I saw nothing abnormal. It does a download of an updater, tells you that the update application has been updated, and you click OK, then it checks that an update exists and you click Next, then it downloads the update, then you go through a normal installation process wherein you agree to the license and then click through the install screens as usual. I did not see anything about True Update. I think it messaged briefly a couple times that it was downloading from various Matrix servers.

This was from the "Check For Update" choice on the initial splash screen.
Paul
Kwll

Post by Kwll »

I had similar issue when running the update, however, it installed. Now when I click check for updates it keeps giving me a run time error. Even a reinstall did not remove this. Any ideas?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

OK I tried that and I now see the reference to "True Update" on the very first screen that comes up. I guess that must be the name of the update software being used. Anyway, when I clicked on Next, I saw the usual message about connecting to a server and then I got a message saying my version is up to date.

Hard to understand why a re-install would not get rid of your problem. Did you try first saving all the stuff you need to keep - like Saved Games and Screen Layouts and NetPlayReg files - in a separate place and then purging the World in Flames folder? Maybe the update program got corrupted but is not part of the initial install and was still in the World in Flames folder.

There is an Update Log.txt file you should look at first to see if it recorded any errors. When I look at the contents of the World in Flames folder and sort it reverse chronologically, I see that the Update.exe and the Update.dat files are only as old as the last time I did an update.
Paul
Omnius

Waiting for 1.10

Post by Omnius »

In a way I'm glad the update messed up on Saturday. I hadn't seen that True Update before and it was taking some time to go through the paces. I will wait until 1.10 as I like removing aircraft and that seems broken in 1.09.

It was weird as my update.exe file kept saying it was broken after that upgrade attempt. I did delete the update.exe and .dat files and reinstalled from my disk. I'll wait a little before updating and keep my fingers crossed that it works this time properly. It did feel like I was getting attacked by some marketing malware again.

Omnius
Erik Rutins

RE: Waiting for 1.10

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi guys,

True Update is indeed the automatic update software we use for our "Check for Updates" functionality. We also advise turning off anti-virus/security software temporarily before applying any update as they can interfere in a number of ways and leave you with an incomplete installation.

If you think the update did not install correctly, you can always download it manually from the link below and when installing ignore the warning about being up to date already and just tell it to update you regardless.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/296/downloads/

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

If you suspect your the Update.exe program got corrupted, is there a place to get that or can you just reinstall it (only) from the CD? Or do you need the Update.dat file too?
Paul
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

The only way to reliably fix that would be to backup your saved games, uninstall and reinstall the entire game from the installer on the DVD (or the one you downloaded), then update your game again and restore your saved games.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Omnius

Thanks for Info

Post by Omnius »

Erik,
Thanks for the into on the update function and program. The update program was indeed broken after that one experience so hopefully it will be fixed now after I deleted the update.exe and .dat files.

I'm going to wait for 1.10 after checking that the new 1.09 remove air unit problem is fixed. I just bought Armada 2526 and it's Supernova sequel so I'll play around in outer space for a while in a mature game before returning to MWiF.

Omnius
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

The only way to reliably fix that would be to backup your saved games, uninstall and reinstall the entire game from the installer on the DVD (or the one you downloaded), then update your game again and restore your saved games.

Regards,

- Erik
If anyone is considering doing this because their Update.exe is no longer working then they need to also save any custom Screen Layouts and Map Views that they've made, and even more importantly save their NetPlayReg.txt file.
Paul

Return to “World in Flames”