Road to Kiev

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

hfarrish

Road to Kiev

Post by hfarrish »

Bout to start a Road to Kiev scenario and wanted to get some advice on one point - I vaguely remember reading in some thread that in this scenario the Lvov pocket is not viable. Is this accurate? Historically 90% of my games have been Soviet so very unfamiliar with the vagueries of German play, especially in scenario form.

Thanks in advance for any guidance - just don't want to kick things off with something stupid.
SigUp

RE: Road to Kiev

Post by SigUp »

You have something like 4 panzer divisions the first turn, that's not enough for Lvov. I am also not too familiar with this scenario (even if I don't do Lvov I still send a panzer corps down), but you could try to pocket the divisions at Kovel and then set up to either move towards Rovno or the landbridge between Goryn and Zbruch. Or try to go directly towards Brody the first turn to split Southwestern Front in two. Either way, without additional support from AGC the South is quite interesting. It will be a severe struggle, that much is clear.
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

Thanks - I guess in part it depends how much rail cap they give the Soviet in the scenario, which could make a multi turn Lvov effort worthwhile.
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

A turn 2 Lvov could be possible when you have the full complement of three panzer corps available. But that depends on what your opponents does during his turn. But those big tank divisions are going to hurt as long as they are still strong so beware of them, though on turn 1 they don't have the MPs for a deliberate attack.
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

You would not be able to trap the 15 mech or 8mech in the Lusk Brody Rovno triangle or their 36 and 37 rifle corps in support.

you can trap all forces west of zolotaya lipa river ( 17 divisions, 3 at brigades, 6 border regiments ) forcing the relocation of
3 soviet army hq ( 6,26, 12).

you can push infantry south as far as zolochev , and have panzers flip hexes along the zbruch river .

Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

ORIGINAL: hfarrish

Bout to start a Road to Kiev scenario and wanted to get some advice on one point - I vaguely remember reading in some thread that in this scenario the Lvov pocket is not viable. Is this accurate? Historically 90% of my games have been Soviet so very unfamiliar with the vagueries of German play, especially in scenario form.

Thanks in advance for any guidance - just don't want to kick things off with something stupid.

A Lwow is possible but you have to have the attack rout perfect and it will likely be broken on turn 1 but you will eventually seal it. If you practice the opening it isn't that hard. However, you will give up most..if not all pockets near Rovno and such.
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

ORIGINAL: Disgruntled Veteran

ORIGINAL: hfarrish

A Lwow is possible but you have to have the attack rout perfect and it will likely be broken on turn 1 but you will eventually seal it. If you practice the opening it isn't that hard. However, you will give up most..if not all pockets near Rovno and such.

wiew from the soviet side :

Crosing rivers under enemy control is what makes the pocket stable .

the clear hex north of Zolochev should not by ocupied by a lone inf division , the soviets are unable to enter in that hex ,but they can knock out the division defending it if they get enough MP.

Attachments
untitled.gif
untitled.gif (214.65 KiB) Viewed 22 times

Return to “The War Room”