what is with the character files???

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Antarian

what is with the character files???

Post by Antarian »

Can someone explain the character files???

The mods people have released do not seem to match the instructions in the modding guide.

Modded files appear to just contain a string of comma delimited values, is this file REALLY based on position in the string, rather than the normal in other files string of values for each category?

I can see traits being assigned in the modded files but no skill adjustments.

I've searched the forum and can't find the thread where this is discussed, can someone post an example file with explanations? THANX!!!
"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.
Darkspire

RE: what is with the character files???

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Antarian

Can someone explain the character files???

The mods people have released do not seem to match the instructions in the modding guide.

Modded files appear to just contain a string of comma delimited values, is this file REALLY based on position in the string, rather than the normal in other files string of values for each category?

I can see traits being assigned in the modded files but no skill adjustments.

I've searched the forum and can't find the thread where this is discussed, can someone post an example file with explanations? THANX!!!

You have not said what version or what expansion your running so here are the links to the modding guides.

Modding Guide for Distant Worlds: Shadows

Distant Worlds – Legends Modding Guide Is Released

I realize you have mentioned using one of these guides, these are the current versions, but the information within it explains quite clearly skills and traits and how to set them up with characters. Have a look in the DW root folder characters at the vanilla versions and then compare them to the mods, no difference except names and values.

Darkspire
Antarian

RE: what is with the character files???

Post by Antarian »

AH! I see. Skill then value, skill then value, over and over in one line... GOT IT!!!
"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.

Return to “Design and Modding”