Good Or Bad 1.40 Open Beta Patch ?

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

kirk23

RE: Good Or Bad 1.40 Open Beta Patch ?

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: bob.

Kirk, good changes. It won't cause any crashes, I am certain of that. I have tried modding the game a little bit myself, just to see what is possible and there were no problem at all.
Just note that for each SetWarEffort value you need a SEPARATE entry in the localization file:
war_effort_85 = War Effort increased to 85%
war_effort_80 = War Effort increased to 80%
war_effort_75 = War Effort increased to 75%
etc etc

EDIT: Tested and worked beautifully.

Update I have now added that the Entente also increases their war effort in stages.So now the following Countries increase in war effort: France,Britain,Russia,Serbia,Germany,Austria/Hungary & Turkey what do you guys think off this change in game play? ( Do you want this in the game )

Attachments
EntenteWa..changes.jpg
EntenteWa..changes.jpg (105.33 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Make it so!
stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Update I have now added that the Entente also increases their war effort in stages.So now the following Countries increase in war effort: France,Britain,Russia,Serbia,Germany,Austria/Hungary & Turkey what do you guys think off this change in game play? ( Do you want this in the game )

Yes, definitely put it in the game please, Kirk.
stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Putting restrictions per turn on upgrades makes the game easier. Or that is my humble opinion anyway.

In my current pvp game, as CP, Germany can afford to upgrade one or two units per turn after repairs are done and then I build no new units. So if (when) I get a convoy through and have enough resources to upgrade more units then I would not be allowed to do so!?

As it is now, if one does not have a complete overflow of resources then prioritizing whether to repair, build and upgrade units is not always a easy task. But if you are only allowed to upgrade a certain number of units per turn then it becomes very easy. The upgrades must then have priority since there is a limit on the upgrades.

Well, I can see the point you are making, but it depends on the situation. You may have to reinforce units in a crucial theatre rather than upgrade units where you are close to a breakthrough so it is not necessarily always an easy decision to make.
If all your nations can afford to upgrade all units at once then maybe you do not fight the enemy and are just dug in and wait for better odds? I would say that to much production for some nations is more troublesome. If you can't afford it all then the upgrade "problem" solves itself.

I agree that surplus PP's are a problem in the game for the Entente side in this latest beta patch.
So if there is a limit on how many units to upgrade should there not be a limit on how many new units you are allowed to produce? Especially since they get the new, upgraded, weapons as well!

Yes, I would like to see this too.
stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

ORIGINAL: Orm

But I strenuously object to names that imply different sizes.

But the units are different sizes according to their respective statistics. Being able to merge two "divisions" into one "corps" might be an interesting addition to the game, but it would need a lot of testing first.
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

"Corps" stands for the current Infantry, and "Division" for Garrison?

If so, this would mean one builds 2 Garrisons, which are cheaper and faster to build than Infantry, and when they appear, merges them into a Corps...

Not a good idea.
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

"Corps" stands for the current Infantry, and "Division" for Garrison?

If so, this would mean one builds 2 Garrisons, which are cheaper and faster to build than Infantry, and when they appear, merges them into a Corps...

Not a good idea.

Excuse me, but I wrote that it would need some testing first, so obviously any anomalies would have to be corrected.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

[quote]ORIGINAL: stockwellpete

[quote]
I agree that surplus PP's are a problem in the game for the Entente side in this latest beta patch.
[quote]

Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

New in game hot tip.[;)]

Attachments
Dontattac..inport.jpg
Dontattac..inport.jpg (156.34 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Make it so!
dogancan

Post by dogancan »

any guess abuout the release of the final version of the patch? I am a newbie and really impressed with the game. much easier to play than expected and wish to make a Turkish AAR about it. Should I wait a coupke of hours/days for the new patch (and a more balanced gameplay) or let myself be crushed in the AAR?

(honestly, I think even after the new patch, I will probably be crushed. It seemd impossible for me to defend the vast areas in the eastern front let alone organizing an offensinve campaign. Still, playing the game and reading A World Undone at the same time is a priceless experience. Congrats for that.)
This is Great War, everybody dies!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hello dogancan, welcome to this very interesting game,I have to say that the vast majority off the forum members here, will offer you very sound advice on game play strategy. As for the final release off the 1.40 patch I can't say, but what I can say is that, the software wiz kid, is extremely busy trying to get all cross platform version's of the game good to go.An updated hot fix is in the pipeline, which fixes most off the gamers issues with the 1.40 Open beta patch, as per game balance etc.[:)]
Make it so!
dogancan

Post by dogancan »

many thanks for that and for your efforts to improve the game. For now I am checking other AAR's to see what I am doing right and wrong. As said, most important of all, the game is really fun to play and have that "just one more turn" feel. I always feel that enemy is at the point of collapse and just one or two turns later they will surrender. think that is quite historical. [:)]
This is Great War, everybody dies!
Orm

Post by Orm »

I had the opportunity to consider attacking a submarine with my Zeppelin. As the submarine was is a green dot I did not expect to do any damage to the submarine but I was shocked that the combat prediction showed that while the sub would take no damage my zeppelin would take 3 in damage.

It is my understanding that subs of this time had no air defence at all. The had a deck gun but it was not intended as air defence. I am not even sure that it could be fired against air targets. Armed aircraft is not even yet researched so how can it be that my zeppelin should take so much in damage? Should that not have been a 0-0 combat with, maybe, some reduction in efficiency?

Edit: What I am trying to say is that the submarines air attack value is way to high. Should it not begin at zero or close to zero and then be be increased during the war?

Attachments
CTGW4.jpg
CTGW4.jpg (592.81 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Submarine anti - aircraft settings have been corrected thanks for highlighting this Orm [:D]
Make it so!
istari6

Post by istari6 »

Kirk,

My feelings are very similar to dogancan - I've been playing CGTW while reading A World Undone, Catastrophe: 1914 and other WW1 books and its been a fantastic experience! Thanks so much to you and the team for making a terrific game!! I knew the basics about WWI before picking up your game, but I've had a truly enjoyable time both learning and playing over the past month.

At this point, I have one SP 1914 campaign left to beat - CP under Hard rules. I'm holding off until 1.40 is released, but it sounds like there might be a hotfix which brings it to 95%? Do you think the hotfix will be very close to the final release? Would love to dive back in and play one more game, but the 1.40 additions sound like they're worth waiting for :).

BTW - I read on the Slitherine forum that Commander: Europe at War II is in production. I will be a first day buyer for that game based on the great experience I've had with CGTW. Hopefully we'll see CEAW II in 2015?

Chris

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

All going well within the next 2 - 3 weeks, should see all the open beta issues ironed out,that being the case,then 1.40 will then be an official full release and not a beta![;)]

I must say, that I never realized just how much work, is involved in getting games like this, patched and improved.But hopefully all the efforts of the guys behind the scene, along with my own efforts, make for a game that everyone can really enjoy playing,at least that's the goal[;)]
Make it so!
istari6

Post by istari6 »

Kirk,

Appreciate the fast reply, and happy to wait for 2-3 more weeks for the full 1.40 patch. Know the hard work is much appreciated, this is a great game.

Chris
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

New in game hot tip.[;)]

As a follow up to this earlier post, I thought I should demonstrate exactly what I meant when I said,do not attack any ship while in its home port! This picture shows the German Battleship attempting to attack the Transport in port, note the expected losses, The German Battleship will get gubbed big time so please do not do this anymore in game you are all fore warned.[;)]

Attachments
Battleship..omeport.jpg
Battleship..omeport.jpg (113.35 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

This is what happens if you do proceed in this foolish attack on the Transport in its home port, as I said earlier please don't do this any more you will loose ok![:D]

It is hoped that this will now put an end,to the tactic off leaving your warships, camped next to your enemies ports,for prolonged periods during a game,as you can see this tactic will no longer be a viable option![:D]

This tactic of close blockade worked great during the Napoleonic wars, when Nelson commanded the sailing ships of the line,but this is world war 1, and after the advent of the Torpedo,both the British & German admiralty, both realized that a close blockade, was now an impossible tactic to use.[;)]

Attachments
Battleship..ftermath.jpg
Battleship..ftermath.jpg (112.81 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Saved E July 1917 SP (1916 Scenario start) at beginning of turn, then again a separate save at end of turn, both CTD when starting next turn. This happened the same way for succeeding E 1916 games, except the other CTD in June 1917. Next will try CP 1916 to see if it plays out.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
operating

Post by operating »

CP 1916 SP CTD 19 Feb. 1917/turn 27. Rebooted, still CTD.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest

Return to “Commander - The Great War”