formation editor and patrols with relative reference points linked to formation suggestion

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

pboiler

formation editor and patrols with relative reference points linked to formation suggestion

Post by pboiler »

There have been several threads on this subject with some users hoping for ways to make creating and managing formations including patrols linked to formations easier and work better. After my initial experience playing command here some of my thoughts regarding this subject.

First and foremost, command allows user great control over formations and patrols linked with formations.

I believe some of the questions and concerns of players is because the creation of formations and patrols linked with formations is accomplished using 2 separate and distinct game functions- formation editor and patrols with relative reference points linked to the unit/formation.

I think that it should be possible to create and modify missions/patrols with relative reference points within the formation editor. This is more intuitive, at least to me, because both ship stations and patrols associated with formations are all part of the "overall formation" the user is attempting to create.

This potential change would not effect in any way the great user control in creating formations and patrols. But I think this simple change could significantly improve the process of creating formations.

What are others thoughts on this?
DROregon

RE: formation editor and patrols with relative reference points linked to formation suggestion

Post by DROregon »

I agree. All the pieces are there, but the many steps required to setup a formation with multiple patrol areas
currently is not an easy user interface. The step-by-step instructions for a novice will be confusing. Can
we leverage the current define reference points & mission editor within one formation editor interface?

Also, here's my request again for a fixed vs. relative notation ([F] or [R]) for formation stations, much like
fixed & relative reference points.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”