Gameplay Mechanics Q&A

Pandora: First Contact is a science-fiction turn-based strategy game of epic scale. The player leads his chosen human faction over multiple centuries on a newly discovered earth-like planet into an unknown future. Pandora features research, diplomacy, economy, warfare and endless replayability with the exploration of exciting and randomly-generated worlds.

Moderator: MOD_Proxy Studios

SephiRok

Gameplay Mechanics Q&A

Post by SephiRok »

Hey guys,

If you have any pressing questions regarding gameplay mechanics please ask them here and we'll do a collaborative effort in answering everything.

Let's try to stick to a Q&A format that can help everyone, including us in determining what we should improve going forward. If you just want to vent your frustration, it would be awesome if you could do it in another thread.

Please be considerate, try not to repeat questions and try to be concise.

Note: Specifics discussed in this thread may very well change with updates.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer on Pandora: First Contact
Proxy Studios

[Twitter]
Maudite

RE: Gameplay Mechanics Q&A

Post by Maudite »

How is the xenomorph pheropod used? I equipped it and tried a few attacks and did not convert the alien. Perhaps it is chance based and I didn't try it enough times? Or is there a trick to using it?

Thanks!
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

The device worked for me if I won the fight. The captured alien appears inside the original attacking stack and needs healing. Their seems to be a bound on how many captured aliens you can have. Appears at the top of the screen where food amounts etc appear.
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

Explain pollution please, how produced? how can you track how much you are creating?
Velihopea

Post by Velihopea »

ORIGINAL: lparkh
Explain pollution please, how produced? how can you track how much you are creating?

Tooltip says the polluters, if you put cursor on the pollution

Question of my own:
The population required to grow the city seems to scale based on something. What is it? Number of cities/population/somethingelse?
SephiRok

Post by SephiRok »

ORIGINAL: Velihopea
The population required to grow the city seems to scale based on something. What is it? Number of cities/population/somethingelse?
The growth required to grow a city scales based on the empire's population.
Rok Breulj
Proxy Studios

[Twitter]
robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

ORIGINAL: SephiRok
ORIGINAL: Velihopea
The growth required to grow a city scales based on the city's population.

I know it seems silly to question what you say, but from what I saw the amount of population required to grow a city scales to the population of the entire faction, not just that city. All cities within a faction have the same growth target.
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games
SephiRok

Post by SephiRok »

Yes, you are fully correct. We changed it so that an empire's growth is city-independent. I apologize. Thanks for correcting me. I edited my answer so no one gets confused.
Rok Breulj
Proxy Studios

[Twitter]
dougo33

Post by dougo33 »

Is there any way to rename the various types of troops? I would like the ability to have Colonial Troop - missle, Colonial Trooper - Hellfire, etc. If this is not possible now, could it be added at a future date?

How many turns (at the beginning) does the "cease fire" with the aliens last?

Thanks
SephiRok

Post by SephiRok »

You can rename troops by clicking on the pen icon both in the workshop and in the selection panel.

Native aliens turn aggressive differently by species. On default settings bugs currently default to 45-55 turns, but alien aggression modifiers and your actions can affect this number further. You can find the details of each species in Data/World/Factions under "initialRestMin" and "initialRestMax".
Rok Breulj
Proxy Studios

[Twitter]
GrumpyMel

Post by GrumpyMel »

Very enjoyable game so far, a few quick questions...

Is there any mechanical difference between selecting an entire stack to attack an enemy stack and selecting each unit in a stack individualy to attack the same enemy stack aside from giving the player more control over the order of combat?

Does terrain effect combat and are we able to see what those numbers are anywhere?

Does having freindly units flanking an enemy effect combat?

Do the players ever get access to air units or is it just the aliens (maybe I haven't played deep enough in the tech tree yet)?

Is there any way to increase area of control aside from population growth of cities?

robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

ORIGINAL: GrumpyMel

Is there any mechanical difference between selecting an entire stack to attack an enemy stack and selecting each unit in a stack individualy to attack the same enemy stack aside from giving the player more control over the order of combat?

I don't believe so.
Does terrain effect combat and are we able to see what those numbers are anywhere?
Yes, it is listed in the combat window. I don't recall offhand what the factors are, but the guerilla warfare tech gives a bonus to light biologic units in forests and mountains. I think mechanical units get a penalty in forests and mountains right from the start.
Does having freindly units flanking an enemy effect combat?
I've seen a flanking bonus in the combat window, but I didn't notice if there were adjacent units at the time.

Do the players ever get access to air units or is it just the aliens (maybe I haven't played deep enough in the tech tree yet)?
Yep, you just need to research the right tech to unlock that unit type.

Is there any way to increase area of control aside from population growth of cities?
Nope, but you can control which tile will be expanded into next but flagging it on the city screen.

Sorry I couldn't answer everything definitively, but my guess is that someone who knows more will fill in the blanks.

Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games
Donegal

Post by Donegal »

What is the different between beam,missile and automatic weapons?
arraamis

Post by arraamis »

Firstly, thank you for reviving a classic ...

1- Can additional factions be added to the game by modding or is there a six slot limit?
a.) Will new factions be added to the game by the Dev's in the near future?

2 - Can we have an "Automated unit" or function\Tech for map exploration (Equivalent to the explorer in SMAC)
Actually SMAC had two methods of revealing maps
1.) the explorer in the beginning (short lived map exposure)
2.) specific high-tech level achieved which used satellites to reveal the surface permanently by removing fog

3 - Is it possible to have a unique unit for each faction?
1.) for covert\espionage action (Destroy buildings - sow dissent by lowering moral etc...)
2.) unit used to steal technology\research data from other factions

4 - Will in-game faction statistics be added in the future?
1.) During the post-game display, you can see how well you did statistically in each category. Can something similar be added for in-game use.

Thanks!!!!
spitfire_ch

Post by spitfire_ch »

I don't quite understand how the area of control grows. I know that I can flag the tile to expand to next. But some tiles never seem to be flaggable - even if they are neutral and next to my area of control. For example, I would like to expand the AOC to include an ancient observatory. I could expand to the field next to it, but not to the observatory itself. What are the rules to make a tile flaggable?

Thanks!
Joram

Post by Joram »

Can each of the victory conditions be summarized here?
spitfire_ch

Post by spitfire_ch »

Both, armor and weapons increase the fist symbol (strength). There is no symbol indicating defense. Does this mean that there is no difference between weapons and armor? They both are just slots to increase the strength of your unit?
Joram

Post by Joram »

Any chance of an 'A' to my 'Q'. If this has already been answered somewhere, I'd be obliged if someone can point me in the right direction.
SephiRok

Post by SephiRok »

I don't quite understand how the area of control grows. I know that I can flag the tile to expand to next. But some tiles never seem to be flaggable - even if they are neutral and next to my area of control. For example, I would like to expand the AOC to include an ancient observatory. I could expand to the field next to it, but not to the observatory itself. What are the rules to make a tile flaggable?
Every time your city grows, starting at 8, your borders expand. You cannot expand outwards more than a certain amount of tiles (4 currently IIRC). Hives also prevent you from expanding onto any tile around them.
Can each of the victory conditions be summarized here?
* Research 75% of all technologies to win a scientific victory.
* Control 75% of Pandora's population to win a military victory.
* Accumulate enough credits to purchase 75% of the other independent factions' economies to win an economic victory.
Both, armor and weapons increase the fist symbol (strength). There is no symbol indicating defense. Does this mean that there is no difference between weapons and armor? They both are just slots to increase the strength of your unit?
Yes and no. Weapons also give you conditional modifiers, like +25% vs biological and -25% vs mechanical. Sometimes weapon always-on modifiers don't have an effect, like when you're being bombarded or hit from no enemy retaliation weapons (snipers and artillery). Sometimes armor modifiers don't have an effect, like when you're attacking with no enemy retaliation weapons (snipers and artillery).
Rok Breulj
Proxy Studios

[Twitter]
Joram

Post by Joram »

Thank you. So it doesn't actually pay to skip over older technologies. The way the tree is structured this is eminently feasible if it weren't for that victory condition.

Return to “Pandora Series”