HQs and arty support

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

mikeCK

HQs and arty support

Post by mikeCK »

I am hoping that I correctly understand this game function. If I assign an artillery unit "direct support" and then click on an HQ unit, then that HQ unit OR ANY OF ITS SUBORDINATES can call for artillery without any additional input from me correct?

Do many of you do this and how well does it work? I often leave one unit "on call" but it doesn't really ever seem to be used.
CapnDarwin

RE: HQs and arty support

Post by CapnDarwin »

Direct support ties the arty unit to the single unit selected. If that unit spots targets, then the supporting arty should fire missions at it.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
loki100

Post by loki100 »

best use for 'direct support' I find is for the lead unit in an attack where you are not quite sure where the enemy is. Once that unit spots something, the artillery will fire on those targets (subject to orders delay etc).

I've used it and its worked but I find its value very limited. Its not particularly useful for NATO (unless maybe you have set up an ambush), with the Soviets you usually have enough that the generic 'on call' mission will work well. There are a few scenarios where Soviet artillery is limited and that is where this mission can work - it means you support your spearhead against an unseen enemy rather than run the risk that your artillery is out of ammo or on the move when you really need it.

There are a couple of scenarios where you get air support right at the start, you can opt not to commit it, commit it blind (with the 2 hex range) or use 'direct support'. One of the Soviet-WG scenarios (the one on the Weser, forget the actual title) starts with this dynamic and there I've used the direct support tied to the recon assets to get the airpower on the battlefield quickly but not run the risk of merely helping some farmer plough his fields [:)]
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I also use it to attach an MRL to a rear echelon unit when I want it to reload without the Fire Direction Center continually using it before it gets full supply.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”