mobs of tuna on my radar

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

CoryC

mobs of tuna on my radar

Post by CoryC »

Just got the game and it's very cool!

Playing through the 'Advanced ASW Exercise, 1979' my ships picked up a lot of Goblins, but on radar (Type 1006 on a Leander and from a ASV-21D on a Nimrod). After much torpedoing they turned out to be biologics.

I'm curious how they showed up on radar in the first place? Is this a bug?
Apocal

RE: mobs of tuna on my radar

Post by Apocal »

ORIGINAL: CoryC

Just got the game and it's very cool!

Playing through the 'Advanced ASW Exercise, 1979' my ships picked up a lot of Goblins, but on radar (Type 1006 on a Leander and from a ASV-21D on a Nimrod). After much torpedoing they turned out to be biologics.

I'm curious how they showed up on radar in the first place? Is this a bug?

Any submerged contact at periscope or shallower depth is detectable with surface search radar. To simulate radar detections of periscopes. I don't really like it because periscopes seem a bit *too* detectable in-game, but I don't have anything to quantify that opinion with, its just a gut-feeling.
CoryC

Post by CoryC »

Ahhh ok that makes sense then. They should exclude the fishies from that mechanic however no?
IWS

Post by IWS »

I'm sure they made a fine dinner for the whole crew
zacklaws

Post by zacklaws »

The word "fishies" should also be changed to "fish" in the database as the plural of "fish" is "fish". "Fishies" is bad English.
CV60

Post by CV60 »

Probably to avoid this, the biologics should be at shallow depth. With that said, there are a lot of false contacts, especially close to shore. Small boats, bouys, wrecks etc can frequently be mistaken for subs. While detecting fish on radar is a bit of a stretch, having a significant number of false contacts that nonetheless need to be investigated is not. Possibly just have a generic "false contact" unit to represent those events?
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln
ExMachina

Post by ExMachina »

Any submerged contact at periscope or shallower depth is detectable with surface search radar. To simulate radar detections of periscopes.

If this is true, than this is not accurate (even for periscopes). However, my suspicion is that it's not how the game operates.
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Hm this was not intended, will add to my list of things to look at. Thanks guys [8D]

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

ORIGINAL: zacklaws

The word "fishies" should also be changed to "fish" in the database as the plural of "fish" is "fish". "Fishies" is bad English.

"Fishies" isn´t the plural of "fish", it´s the plural of "fishy", describing the situation of that many sub contacts in such a small area. [:'(]
Apocal

Post by Apocal »

ORIGINAL: ExMachina
If this is true, than this is not accurate (even for periscopes). However, my suspicion is that it's not how the game operates.

I first noticed the behavior (albeit with false contacts, not biologics) when making my scenario three or four weeks ago. Its possible its been fixed since then.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”