MOD: Apox Universe V. 0.8

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Apox

MOD: Apox Universe V. 0.8

Post by Apox »

[center]Apox Universe 0.8 [/center]

[center]Image[/center]

Requires Distand World Shadows to run.

In Version 0.8 some race fine tuning has taken place and I have added several new ship image sets, for several races. See images below

Current Version is 0.8 and includes following:

40 completely new races, all but the Shakturi have been altered and adjusted to the story.

Several new ship sets

Several new troop image sets

Modified gameplay with added difficulty. The races are more challanging than before, especially playing on Hard difficulty.

The only thing that has still been left untouched are race specific victory conditions, so basically they are still the same as in the original version. I recommend playing without them for now.

Future Plans:

V. 0.9 Further policy tuning and template changes

V. 1.0 Race specific victory conditions

and more...

Download:

Apox Universe V. 0.8

Installation Instructions:

Download ZIP file and extract into your Distand World Customization folder.

(For example: C:\Distant Worlds\Customization)

The Story of the Humans:

After the third world war started on earth, a small elite group of wealthy people started to secretely realize their plans of creating a modern superior human, through manipulating their bodies and implementing cyborg technologies.

This new improved human race became known as the "Trans Humanist" movement.
When the nations of earth finally came to peace, the space era had begun and several decades later mars was colonized.

When the technological level of human ships improved, the Transhumanists managed to secretely colonize Europa, one of saturns moon. From where they started to the outer planets of the solar system.

Once the first "faster than light" engine was developed they immediately colonized the next solar system in reach.
After setting up an new capital the Trans Humanists engaged in war with earth, seeking total domination and controll of its inhabitants.

Since earth has reached a high technological level during this period, the humans of earth created a genetically modified warrior race to fight off the Trans Humanists. The so called "Genii" had improved strenght and were highly agressive and adaptive

At first the plan worked and the Trans Humanists were driven back to the outer planets of Sol. But their newly created species had no sympathies for any race at all, so they began plaguing the human worlds, fighting their own creators.

The Trans Humanists however were still eager in controlling earth and therefore created a mechinacal species to fight the Genii. The "Xi" are a highly adaptable robotic race, that has been programmed with obediance to their masters. They did give them some independence, to ease the controll, so that they would reach other planets and fight the Genii on their own, without any observance and guidance.

The war never ended, but while the humans managed to drive off the Genii, out of their home system, they spread to other systems in the galaxy like a plague.

Eventually the Genii and the Xi spread among the stars and Trans Humanists found a better suiting home planet, further away from Sol.

Every now and then it seems that peace finally returned to planet earth, but that's a mere illusion. The enemy is still out there...

The Story of the Apox:

The Apox are an ursidian species, not native to the milky way galaxy.
They have lost their home planet due to a super nova. In addition they were plagued by an insectoid species amongst the stars in their own galaxy. This other race made the search for a new home system extremely difficult.

So they decided to build a big intergalactic ship before their sun would turn into red giant, to save the last of their kind.

The ship was launched and eventually reached the milky way.

The Apox are the only race not native to the milky way, therefore they have no bias towards other milky way species.

Will you manage to survive?
CyclopsSlayer

RE: MOD: Apox Universe V. 0.8

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Woot! Enjoyed the 0.7, so looking forward to this.
Apox

Post by Apox »

Glad to hear that :)

Thx!
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

- Explored Ruins that told me I had found the tech "Death Ray" and later "Way of Darkness". Neither item ever showed up, ship item or govt.

- You are making extensive use of the construction speed modifiers by planet type. How does the game choose which mod to use?; by Base Race, Planets population, other? Wondering as the empire I was just running, pre-warp start, my first 7 expansion worlds were conquests that gave me access to all the planet types except Ice.
Apox

Post by Apox »

What do you mean by "how does the game chose a mod"?

What I did with construction speed is basically that: if you play a race who's native planet type is water, desert planets and volcanic planets will cost a lot more to research (colonization) and also produce a lot slower.

If you conquer a planet with a race that is native to this planet, it instantly gives you the ability to colonize them, but it can only be colonized by that race however, so not your own.

Once you have colonized a volcanic planet for instance, you can them resettle or exterminate the other race and wait for your own to resettle to it.
Apox

Post by Apox »

Way of darkness is a goverment type, not an item, once you get that, you can change the government style.

Death ray should be available when building stations or ships.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

ORIGINAL: Apox

What do you mean by "how does the game chose a mod"?

What I did with construction speed is basically that: if you play a race who's native planet type is water, desert planets and volcanic planets will cost a lot more to research (colonization) and also produce a lot slower.

If you conquer a planet with a race that is native to this planet, it instantly gives you the ability to colonize them, but it can only be colonized by that race however, so not your own.

Once you have colonized a volcanic planet for instance, you can them resettle or exterminate the other race and wait for your own to resettle to it.
Was just a mechanic question not specific to the Mod. Say my base race lives on Continentals and conquered a Oceanic world. Troops I recruit there are now of the Oceanic race. If I were to build something there does DW use Continental or the Oceanic construction modifiers?

There was one game a while back where I conquered a system with 3 Teekan worlds, each more than twice as populated as my home world. Soon the Teekan migrants had literally taken over large chunk of the empire as they now out populated my low growth race.

ORIGINAL: Apox
Way of darkness is a goverment type, not an item, once you get that, you can change the government style.

Death ray should be available when building stations or ships.
Yes I know.
Just saying that over a year in game later that the 'Death Ray' hasn't shown on the item list. As well the 'Way of Darkness' hasn't shown on the list of government types to have a revolt to.

Not sure if that is a DW bug or Mod bug, I haven't seen either item in other games for quite some time so cannot adequately compare.

=-=-=-=-=-
Loving the artwork changes. As well the storyline as seen in the race descriptions is quite good.

Played the Apox overnight, kinda OP race, heh. I have never seen that event before where the secret police develop "Security Concerns" and march some character off to a re-education gulag or a firing squad. LOL! Does balance their advantages, when virtually every character they generated was then shortly executed. (3x Intelligence, 1x Ambassador, 2x Scientists, 1x Admiral, and that's only after I started keeping track)
Apox

Post by Apox »

When it comes to special items that are unlocked, I always get them, so this might me a game bug.

concerning the mechanics, I am pretty sure that the game will use your race specific modifiers, so the construction speed is slower on the non native planet types.

To counter other races groth speeds you have to use a certain strategy, such as relocation or enslavement. Thats the only way to make sure they don't over populate your worlds.
terololo

Post by terololo »

WOAHHH, those are very cool race portraits, it makes the portraits feels more serious without getting too "dark-y realistic". where do you get them most? :o

I personally don't like some custom pics(mostly the extended mod), because they make even the friendlier and neutral races looks sinister/evil. (WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY CUDDLY ATUUKS *smashes teddy bear with zekrom statue*)

anyway, nice idea tinkering with the colonization modifiers, now every race do feel unique. I personally prefer vanilla distant worlds to be more like this, so that every races would struggle to develop/research tech that makes them able to colonize on worlds other than their native types. (for now i kinda dislike how a volcanic-dwelling insects more easily adapts to marshes/continentals(because their position on the tech tree) while humans must spent more time to terraform a volcanic planets) :P
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Any updates on this? Just finished a 0.8 game.
Apox

Post by Apox »

Hi there,

I am waiting and still testing with DW Universe, so the next update will most likely be for the next expansion.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Very nice piece of work!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I like how the race pictures look in parity.

Return to “Design and Modding”