Bug: no music is played

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Limulus

Bug: no music is played

Post by Limulus »

Ok, I am stucked with this bug for a while now not paying attention to it, but the day has come where I finally want the music to be played.

No matter how much I pester the volume setting of the music - there is no music played at all.

To the history of this bug:

I purchased DW (german copy) in a local market. For the sake of my wife I set the music volume bar to 0 and left it there until...

...I bought DW RotS (english copy) and installed it. At one day I wanted to listen to the DW music. But the pain I brought to the volume bar did not help. So I updated with the latest patch, hoping it would work. Unfortunately not.
Still for the sake of my wife I didn't care and left it as it was.

Meanwhile I also bought DW Legends and recently DW Shadows (both english copies), have the latest patch running, but it is not working. Inbetween I had to do a full reinstall of the game (not my windows xp 32bit running on the machine) since I managed to corrupt my game drive and had to reinstall all my games.

I guess it has something to do with the settings written somewhere in the registry. But I do not have the balls to make more re-installation tests (game / windows, whatever) just to figure out that there might be a compatibility problem with the first (german) version I bought and the add-ons (all english).

It would be nice if someone could look into this matter.
Buio

RE: Bug: no music is played

Post by Buio »

Distant Worlds does not save any game settings to the registry as far as I know. Only installation information like path and user licence is saved during install, then not touched afterwards.

The configuration data is saved in a folder, you can find by copying the below and then press Win+R (or start menu-run on Windows XP) and paste it and click ok.

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds

As game configuration is saved in corresponding version folder, each update should reset the user settings as it creates a new folder.

If you have reset settings and can't hear any music, maybe the music folder is damaged or erased? Found in DistantWorlds\Sounds\Music folder in the installed game path.

Limulus

Post by Limulus »

Hi Buio,

I checked both. Unfortunately the "defaultOptions" file is not in a very nice readable state - can't see from it what the part ".GameOptions�^@^@^@^S_SoundEffectsVolume^L_MusicVolume^T_MainViewScrollS" is telling me on the music settings now. =/
And it should have been reset for quite some times now with the patches and add-on installations and the re-install.

The music folder itself looks fine. It's in the mentioned place with some mp3s inside.

Cheers

Attachments
dw_musicissue.jpg
dw_musicissue.jpg (197.22 KiB) Viewed 130 times
Buio

Post by Buio »

Strange problem. If you uninstall the game, I think it keeps the \Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds folders as save games are there. Meaning re-installing detects and uses the already present files. You could try to move the "Code Force Limited" folder and all subfolders to a temporary folder someplace else and then start the game. It will re-create the folder and settings file from scratch. If it changes anything, you can just copy back the save games afterwards. Otherwise move back the original folder.
Limulus

Post by Limulus »

Made a quick check on this - didn't work. He recreates the folder and config files as expected, but no music is played afterwards.

[Edit]
I just wanted to make sure there is nothing in the registry and searched for the DW entries. It seems that there is no information hidden with regard to music volume settigs.
All in all it looks like there is a conflict that my original DW is in German language...
I'm not really in the mood to purchase the basic DW in english again to resolve this issue.
[/Edit]
Buio

Post by Buio »

Ask Matrix Support if they can provide a download for the English version of Distant Worlds as you have all the expansions in English. You should be able to register your games and create a ticket at http://matrixgames.com/support/
Maybe it isn't possible due to local distributors, but at least worth a shot.
Limulus

Post by Limulus »

Ticked opened. Let's see if they can help.

Return to “Tech Support”