Distant World Shadows upgrade problem

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

jimbo12123

Distant World Shadows upgrade problem

Post by jimbo12123 »

I am able to load and play all the other games up to Legends but when I add the Shadows expansion is has an error during the loading. It states "access to C:\matrix games\\distant worlds\distantworlds.exe" has been denied. Igoniring this file and continueing the install makes the game not work anymore. Autorun screen comes up but clicking the run link does nothing.

Tried a second time and it says C:\matrix games\distant worlds\distantworlds.exe A decompression error has occurred.

I tried this after just loading each game and after updating legends to the latest version. Same problem.

Running Windows 8.1.

Anyone else seen this error? easy fix?
HariSeldon

RE: Distant World Shadows upgrade problem

Post by HariSeldon »

If you try a "Run as administrator" ?
Hari
Buio

Post by Buio »

Sounds similar to people that have problems with their Antivirus solution blocking the file (there are some topics about that).
jimbo12123

Post by jimbo12123 »

I uninstalled the programs and reinstalled, running each file "as adminstator". I also upgraded to the latest version when I got to Legends. Ran Legends and it worked fine. Checked the folder and the Distantworkds.exe file was in the folder. Upgraded to shadows as admin. It gave the same access error. It also seems to erase the distantworkds.exe file as it is no longer in the folder and not in my quarantine file for Bitdefender.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Something in the 1.9.0.13 version seems to be giving false positive results to various AV apps.

I have never used BitDefender, but the workaround for Kasparsky/ZoneAlarm probably works there as well.
You need to create an exception so that distantworlds.exe isn't scanned. Then either re-install or move it out of quarantine.
jimbo12123

Post by jimbo12123 »

When I load shadows and I get the access error for distant worlds.exe its not listed in my antivirus quarantine . Seems to be just gone. This is before I even try to upgrade to the latest version of shadows.
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

Look at http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3502358
You notice all DW versions of shadow got a virus warning vom Kapersky, maybe this happen to bitdefender too.

Does the .exe file exist at the DW folder or it is gone ?
jimbo12123

Post by jimbo12123 »

Its in the folder before I upgrade to shadows. Once I try to upgrade its gone from the folder and not listed in my bidefender quarenteen file. Bit defender also does not give any notice it detected something.
jimbo12123

Post by jimbo12123 »

*** Issue Resolved***

Even though Bitdefender never made an indication it found a virus or showed the distantworlds.exe file in quaranteen, it was the problem.

After setting the temp folder I downloaded the shadows file and the main distant worlds game folder to Bitdefender's exclusion list the game updated fine.

Return to “Tech Support”