German railroad east of Kerch

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

krieger

German railroad east of Kerch

Post by krieger »

My FBD5 has converted all rail hexes up to Kerch, there the rail line ends and continues 2 hexes to the east at Tamanskaya (109, 117) but I can't convert from there on (neither from Novorosisk which is a port).

In the manual it says this: "A hex is eligible for FBD/NKPS repair if 1) the hex is in the Baltic zone (prior to Dec 1941) and within 6 hexes of a railhead, or if not in the Baltic zone within 4 hexes of a railhead, and 2) the number of hexes to the railhead does not exceed the RRV (Rail Repair Value) of the FBD/NKPS unit. Since both of these conditions must apply, players will never be able to use an FBD/NKPS unit more than 6 hexes from a railhead in the Baltic zone (prior to Dec 1941), or 4 hexes from a railhead outside the Baltic zone. If a rail hex is not eligible for repair, the RRC will not display in the FBD/NKPS unit’s info area."

If the RRV is 13 then that means 13 hexes in condition 2, and condition 1 leaves it in 4. Btw, this 2 conditions seem redundant unless RRV can be less than 6 or 4 (depending on the map area, baltic or not). It seems it can be lower as the manual states that RRV number depends on the number of attached units in the FBD.

So, if you are 2 hexes away from the railhead you should be able to convert at Tamanskaya and continue from there on. But in my game as I said I can't, I will need to link with AGS forces coming from the north.

Is the current supply situation at Kerch strait realistic then?
Mentor

RE: German railroad east of Kerch

Post by Mentor »

There is not a rail bridge across the Straight of Kerch, and I do not believe there ever was one.  The two rail systems are not linked, and if you want to conduct offensive operations on the other side you will need to use air or sea, or go the long route via Rostov.

I think the Black Sea Fleet makes this less of an issue for the Soviets than for the Axis.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

The hex you're converting also needs to be linked to a functional rail line. Rail lines coming from a port can be functional, but I'm not entirely sure whether you can convert anything just from a port without a link to the supply sources/the main rail network.

The Germans constructed a cable system across the Strait of Kerch which allowed the Germans to supply their troops on the eastern shores along with supplies moved there by boat/barge.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
krieger

Post by krieger »

It all makes sense to me as it is, otherwise the germans could take a big chunk of the Caucasus in 41. As it stands now, you need to take Rostov first to expand your Kuban bridgehead when regular supply becomes available (I'd say imposible to do in 41 rail convertion will never get that far).

In anyway the section of the rules I posted before keeps to seem confusing to me. Specially that part about the 2 conditions.
jetgeek

Post by jetgeek »

I found that this is a serious flaw in the program since Hitler initially ordered an invasion from Crimea towards the east. Eventually, he called it off. However, it was a huge operation in concert as a two part of operation Uranus--invasion of the Baku oil region. So, the straight is only 4 to 5 miles across and any flotilla attempting to impede on the flow of supplies across it would meet with some siege mortars, Dora the BFG, and the Luftwaffe bombing them incessantly! So, we built a railroad across the country without all these rules? Why not in this game? Ah, "playability", that's it, right? So much for realism. Oh, wait, isn't there an option for giving the 'puter more "humph"?

Maybe I can play with the editor and "fix this"????[:D] [:D] [:D]
[>:]
Bah Hum Bug!
calvin
Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

Rail lines coming from a port can be functional, but I'm not entirely sure whether you can convert anything just from a port without a link to the supply sources/the main rail network.

Ports that are sufficiently repaired function as a supply source. But you can't convert rail lines coming from the port without a connection the the main rail line.

Otherwise you could ship an FBD into Riga on T2 and build the rail line from there.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: jetgeek

I found that this is a serious flaw in the program since Hitler initially ordered an invasion from Crimea towards the east. Eventually, he called it off. However, it was a huge operation in concert as a two part of operation Uranus--invasion of the Baku oil region. So, the straight is only 4 to 5 miles across and any flotilla attempting to impede on the flow of supplies across it would meet with some siege mortars, Dora the BFG, and the Luftwaffe bombing them incessantly! So, we built a railroad across the country without all these rules? Why not in this game? Ah, "playability", that's it, right? So much for realism. Oh, wait, isn't there an option for giving the 'puter more "humph"?

Maybe I can play with the editor and "fix this"????[:D] [:D] [:D]
[>:]
Bah Hum Bug!
calvin

It does work the same for both sides. The Soviets can't trace rail supply over the Kerch straight so that means to evacuate the factories there before the Germans force the Dniepr and also a decision to try and hold the Crimea can become a huge truck drain.

Its actually a very tricky body of water for navigation as it has a nasty combination of strong currents and varying levels of depth, plus a soft bottom. So for both sides, it is correct to model it as a ferry crossing. In general, the axis powers were short of transport ships in the Black Sea region (esp given how unkeen Bulgaria was about the whole enterprise), so again lacking naval invasion capacity seems reasonable.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Serious flaw? Some history would be nice to see.

Just what supply or logistics happened by either side? And what is possible to match this through the editor? Seems to me the game plays out pretty much as history. But what do I know?

Return to “Tech Support”