Atomic bomb problem

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

santino250

Atomic bomb problem

Post by santino250 »

Hi All

I am in 11/45 and still have no Atomic bomb???

I thought that from a previous post that I am supposed to turn on research for it, but can't find any option for the bomb anywhere....

I tried looking through all the forts construction links, and upgrades, and can't locate it...
santino
Bullwinkle58

RE: Atomic bomb problem

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: santino250

Hi All

I am in 11/45 and still have no Atomic bomb???

I thought that from a previous post that I am supposed to turn on research for it, but can't find any option for the bomb anywhere....

I tried looking through all the forts construction links, and upgrades, and can't locate it...

They come into inventory by dice roll. There is only one B-29 unit that can drop them. You don't make them; nothing you can do to get them. They come when they come.
The Moose
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

& they aren't really v. powerful in the game - using an A-bomb against a target doesn't crush it, & also auto-reduces the Allied victory-level.
CT Grognard

Post by CT Grognard »

IIRC the anti-soft rating of the Atomic Bomb is 32,000. If we use a 500 lb GP bomb (39 anti-soft) as reference, that is equivalent to 410,000 lbs of GP bombs (or 186 tons).

However, the US Strategic Bombing Survey found that the equivalent to the atomic bomb was between 1,200 and 2,000 tons of bombs.

As such, it appears the Atomic Bomb in-game is significantly underpowered.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

That's an engine issue. Can't be made higher due to programming.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
CT Grognard

Post by CT Grognard »

I didn't know that. Thanks.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I personally never use them. As you point out, the effect isn't big enough.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: jmalter

& they aren't really v. powerful in the game - using an A-bomb against a target doesn't crush it, & also auto-reduces the Allied victory-level.

I thought it was if the Allies used more than 2 of them? So basically 2 "free" ones?
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: CT Grognard

IIRC the anti-soft rating of the Atomic Bomb is 32,000. If we use a 500 lb GP bomb (39 anti-soft) as reference, that is equivalent to 410,000 lbs of GP bombs (or 186 tons).

However, the US Strategic Bombing Survey found that the equivalent to the atomic bomb was between 1,200 and 2,000 tons of bombs.

As such, it appears the Atomic Bomb in-game is significantly underpowered.

Previous postings of "before and after" damage from the A-bomb supported the 'gut' feel of it being substantially underpowered. But I've never heard such a cogent explanation before. This makes great sense, CT Grognard. Danke!

Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

ORIGINAL: jmalter

I thought it was if the Allies used more than 2 of them? So basically 2 "free" ones?

This is true.
CT Grognard

Post by CT Grognard »

Hang on - in stock the Atomic Bomb has the following ratings:

Accuracy: 100
Penetration: 32000
Effect: 32000
Anti-Armor: 32000
Anti-Soft: 3200

A 500lb bomb has the following ratings:

Accuracy: 25
Penetration: 45
Effect: 500
Anti-Armor: 45
Anti-Soft: 50

Since the Atomic Bomb is 4 times more accurate, the effects for the 500lb bomb needs to be increased by a factor of 4, which gives the following equivalents for Atomic Bomb versus 500lb GP bomb:

Penetration: 2,844 500lb GP bombs
Effect: 256 500lb GP bombs
Anti-Armor: 2,844 500lb GP bombs
Anti-Soft: 256 500lb GP bombs

I don't know which one is used for calculation purposes, but if it's effect/anti-soft, then the Atomic Bomb is only equivalent to 58.1 tons of GP bombs.

This is purely for illustrative/speculation purposes, as I have no idea how the game works it.

PS the highest value the editor allows these fields appears to be 65,535. I have no idea what restrictions there are in the game code.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Since the Atomic Bomb is 4 times more accurate, the effects for the 500lb bomb needs to be increased by a factor of 4, which gives the following equivalents for Atomic Bomb versus 500lb GP bomb:

I don't know which one is used for calculation purposes, but if it's effect/anti-soft, then the Atomic Bomb is only equivalent to 58.1 tons of GP bombs.

This is purely for illustrative/speculation purposes, as I have no idea how the game works it.

PS the highest value the editor allows these fields appears to be 65,535. I have no idea what restrictions there are in the game code.
I don't know what your backround is but numbers like 65,535 (or 64k or 8 bytes) would be highly significant back in the day. That's probably what it has to do with.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

I don't know what your backround is but numbers like 65,535 (or 64k or 8 bytes) would be highly significant back in the day. That's probably what it has to do with.

It's an artifact of whatever language the game is coded in. The value is probably an 'int' (for integer). I know in C, that's limited to 32768. Including 0, if you double that by adding another bit, and you get 65,535.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”