Two monitor question

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

jcrohio

Two monitor question

Post by jcrohio »

Using a dual monitor system - have a form that always wants to load splitting the two monitors (half on 1 monitor half on the other). I know how to save a screen layout but this form does not let me access any buttons outside the form therefore I cannot move the form and then save the layout.

Any ideas?
Jack
Jack
Cad908

RE: Two monitor question

Post by Cad908 »

ORIGINAL: jcrohio

Using a dual monitor system - have a form that always wants to load splitting the two monitors (half on 1 monitor half on the other). I know how to save a screen layout but this form does not let me access any buttons outside the form therefore I cannot move the form and then save the layout.

Any ideas?
Jack
Jack,

Which form is causing you the issue? I use a dual monitor system and have never seen this.

-Rob
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

A screenshot would help us understand the situation better.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Any ideas?
Jack
Likely it's the MV or maybe the SL form? They can be moved but the "sweet spot" to grab them is very small. Try clicking right on top of the two letters that name the form. Then you should be able to drag it to where you like and then save the screen layout. You'll need to do this once per major power.

Works for other forms too.
Paul
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

Doubt its either of those forms since he said that when the form pops up he cant hit any other buttons...
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

It is when I try to load a unit into a sea transport - it is the "select unit to be transported form"

Below are two pictures that hopefully show this - monitor one is my left most monitor and monitor two is my right most monitor

Sorry - had to put monitor two jpeg in a second post
Attachments
Monitorone.jpg
Monitorone.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 97 times
Jack
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Here is the second monitor

Thanks
Jack
Attachments
Monitortwo.jpg
Monitortwo.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 92 times
Jack
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Where is the Main Form?

The Select Units form is NOT one of the forms whose position is saved in the Screen Layouts (SLY) file. It is positioned beneath the Main Form if there is room. Otherwise it is positioned at the top of the monitor on which the Main Form resides. It is aligned on the left with the Main Form (if I remember correctly).

Try repositioning the Main Form so it is not hidden by other forms (e.g., not hidden by the Detailed Map). That may help.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

The main form is on my second monitor - monitor two (right most monitor). It is in the upper left hand corner of this monitor. I'll try moving it around and see what if I can find a suitable arrangement. My idea for two monitors was to use the main monitor for the detail map and everything else on the secondary monitor. Maybe that is not such a good idea.
Thanks for the help - at least I have some ideas what it is doing.
Jack
Jack
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

The main form is on my second monitor - monitor two (right most monitor). It is in the upper left hand corner of this monitor. I'll try moving it around and see what if I can find a suitable arrangement. My idea for two monitors was to use the main monitor for the detail map and everything else on the secondary monitor. Maybe that is not such a good idea.
Jack

I have exactly the same setup and same problem. The MF's position is ideally on the top-left spot on the right (secondary) monitor (to save mouse-distance from the map pressing the end-of-action button). I have decided to stick with the problem until such time Steve could spend same time making the appearance of that load-form also save-able.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I tried this many different ways... and the end result is just put the Main Form over the detailed map and don't despair over losing the top inch and a half or so of screen space. The game just works so much better that way - so overall, far less headaches.
Paul
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

Jack
Jack,

Try offsetting the Main Form a little to the right on the second monitor.

Top Image: Notice the Detailed Map is maxed out on my large (Left) monitor and the placement of the Main Form on the small second one (Right). The selectable units form will open on the left edge over the detailed map (this is a German Strat Bombing, but the others do the same).

Bottom Image: Here the Choose Sea Section Box form and notice how it orients to the left edge of the second monitor just below the Main Form, and loading a unit will have that form open in the same spot.

Like you, I like a "full" Detailed Map, and this setup is my personal favorite.

-Rob

Attachments
AAScreensh..14001.jpg
AAScreensh..14001.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 78 times
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Thanks for the replies - will play around with both suggestions

Jack
Jack
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Cad908

Jack
Jack,

Try offsetting the Main Form a little to the right on the second monitor.

Top Image: Notice the Detailed Map is maxed out on my large (Left) monitor and the placement of the Main Form on the small second one (Right). The selectable units form will open on the left edge over the detailed map (this is a German Strat Bombing, but the others do the same).

Bottom Image: Here the Choose Sea Section Box form and notice how it orients to the left edge of the second monitor just below the Main Form, and loading a unit will have that form open in the same spot.

Like you, I like a "full" Detailed Map, and this setup is my personal favorite.

-Rob

This works fine. Thanks for the tip

Return to “World in Flames”