Mapmaker Woes - Tree Obstacles

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

Mobius

Mapmaker Woes - Tree Obstacles

Post by Mobius »

I guess I haven't built a map with the latest version of mapmaker but I just tried to build one and I get some problems.

What is it with tree obstacles? Who thought that was a good idea? The trees have a purple obstacle footprint about 3 meters square that tanks can't enter. I set the 'struct' to none and I get it anyway. Also, thanks to trees sorting last in the structure list when a map is made this purple supersedes the impassible red of a house. So it may mess up buildings blocking LOS which needs the house walls to be on red terrain.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
Mobius

RE: Mapmaker Woes - Tree Obstacles

Post by Mobius »

Look at the problem this causes. The tree, which isn't even a one of Ben's 3D trees, causes a purple obstacle splotch next to a house and cancels out the red terrain allowing a LOS through the house.

I also found the long structure knock down 'feature' is back. My telephone lines now are falling over when a tank moves under them.
Attachments
losm.jpg
losm.jpg (161.37 KiB) Viewed 88 times
panzer
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

You may wonder why am I making a map at this late date. Well, to find out the lay of the land of the area around (Mirporol) Myropil'.
The guy at a WOT blog who brought attention to battles in the area that took place late 1943. http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2013/1 ... ombat.html
Trying to paint the Germans reports as lies. Someone, apparently (heh, heh [;)]), is pointing out some inconvenient facts.
So this might make a good scenario. Though we don't have winter Ferdinand skins.
panzer
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I thought there was a work-around for the tree color, but I haven't worked with the map maker in a while.

I'm out of town so probably can't check notes until I get home,

As far as the knockdown goes. The fix was not released as part of a patch, but I did get it fixed.

I thought I had sent you and Paul an updated exe. But I don't recall if I set up a mod file for
everyone here or not. When I get home i'll check on this.

I want to fix the art. ammo issue and then maybe in a few months actually put out an official patch with
with some fixes to that as well as the fixes to the random battle generator, but I haven't really followed up with anyone yet.

Rick

Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Thanks Rick.
I did find that I have a copy of MM 1.2.1.0 which runs perfectly. It used the mapmaker html from the newer version and made a map. No knock-downs or obstacles areas on 3D trees, etc. It doesn't make the mega texture though. I think I can even autogen using the new 3D trees without problems.
panzer
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

You gonna keep up with the blog posts? It will be interesting to see where it goes from here.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Rick, MM 1.2.1.0 isn't as good as I thought as the autobuild trees sometimes are placed in houses. But it does show that there must be a simple way to disable knock-downs. Maybe just a tag set in one place in the scene.html.
I looked into the effect of obstacle which should be named 'impassible obstacle'. This is best used to prevent movement in some areas. Like to keep units from going off the sides of bridges or over cliffs. It doesn't restrict LOS. Putting it under 3D tree bases is making a LOS hole in the woods. If there must be some terrain to limit movement through one of these trees the red impassible terrain would be the better choice. It blocks LOS through the tree trunks as well as doesn't make sighting holes through houses.
Also I think the footprint of the 3D tree should be round not square.

Ratzki, yeah, I'll keep poking my nose in their business over there from time to time.
The time period after Kursk to April 1944 seems to be ignored a lot. I can't find a Glantz book on the time period.
panzer
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Mobius

Rick, MM 1.2.1.0 isn't as good as I thought as the autobuild trees sometimes are placed in houses. But it does show that there must be a simple way to disable knock-downs. Maybe just a tag set in one place in the scene.html.
I looked into the effect of obstacle which should be named 'impassible obstacle'. This is best used to prevent movement in some areas. Like to keep units from going off the sides of bridges or over cliffs. It doesn't restrict LOS. Putting it under 3D tree bases is making a LOS hole in the woods. If there must be some terrain to limit movement through one of these trees the red impassible terrain would be the better choice. It blocks LOS through the tree trunks as well as doesn't make sighting holes through houses.
Also I think the footprint of the 3D tree should be round not square.

Ratzki, yeah, I'll keep poking my nose in their business over there from time to time.
The time period after Kursk to April 1944 seems to be ignored a lot. I can't find a Glantz book on the time period.

Yes I'm sure there is a place to flag a map to not use knockdown. I'll check this thread when I get home.

Rick
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

I ended up first building the map with the current release MM then building it again with MM 1.2.1.0 to eliminate the knock-downs. Then moving a few trees with scene editor.
I also needed to make winter skins for the Ferdinand as the scenario is late November.

Attachments
ferdsnow.jpg
ferdsnow.jpg (100.75 KiB) Viewed 90 times
panzer
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

very nice.

I was supposed to be coming home tomorrow, but I'm not sure I'll make it now.
but when I get home I'll check into MM items.

Thanks!
Rick
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

I completed the map and it is uploaded to the Mods and Maps area.
Also updated Ferdinand and gun and tank htmls.

The megatexture png for the map was over 17 megs and it had to be left out as it was too big to attach. I don't know about all the work files for MM. Seems like they should be in their own folder to make the size limit on uploads.

I updated my site for new info on the German 75mm guns.
http://www.panzer-war.com/page43.html
panzer

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”