Allied paratroops

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

RogerJNeilson

Allied paratroops

Post by RogerJNeilson »

There are a lot of them as we move through the game. I am aware that compared to the focus on paratroops in the Western campaigns there is very little obviously written about their use in the Pacific.

So some questions....

1. What were they used for?
2. What operations did they drop in?
3. What were their limitations on use?
4. Why are they included in the TOE of the Allied forces if they were not used?

This is all occasioned by some discussion on my use of them in a game.... do not want to be at all 'gamey' about their use, as we both like a pretty historical fight.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Terminus

RE: Allied paratroops

Post by Terminus »

Well, for that last one, they're included in the OOB because they were there. Same as everything else.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

The 503 Parachute Infantry Regiment performed combat drops at Nadzab and on Corregidor and a reinforcement drop on Noemfoor.

11 US Airborne Division dropped its Parachute Rgt on Tagatay Ridge on Luzon.

The Indian 50 Parachute Bde fought at Sanshak in the Imphal Campaign and a composite Gurkha Bn landed in the campaign to capture Rangoon.

The British/Indian Chindit Bdes are Para capable in the game but are more accurately Glider/Air Landing units.

Japan dropped Paratroopers in their assault on Palembang, at Menando & Koepang in the DEI campaign and made a number of small scale drops during the 44-45 Luzon campaign.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I think a limitation in their use was the lack of committed air transport, most squadrons had plenty of work without training for Para drops. In addition the facilities to support an air drop, para packing etc were not available, a number of planned drops in the Phillipines were canceled because of this.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

2 Chindit Bdes re para capable as a compromise I don't like it but it seemed the best compromise out of 5 bdes to make two of them air mobile albeit I agree not 100% realisticv
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

I would think that there were plans to use them in large drops for the invasion of Japan. There would have been plenty of transports by then. But I do not know the details of the planning for the invasion.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

There were no such plans made. The 11th Airborne Division was meant to be Sixth Army operational reserve and would have been put ashore by sea if need be (same as when it went to the Philippines).
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Thanks all, we seem to have reached an agreement in the game.

Anyone got a simple explanation of how to calculate plane requirement for a unit to be dropped 'en masse'?

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Barb

Post by Barb »

What about quick and dirty rule of 1 plane = 1 squad ? :)
For supply drop look for 2000 load cost = 1 supply point. While dropping supplies, there is only a chance that the supply point would be received by the ground unit, so count with reserve.
CT Grognard

Post by CT Grognard »

You can only air-drop non-squad devices with a load cost of 7 or less.

Each aircraft can air-drop 1 squad (or engineer) device, unless the aircraft capacity is greater than 7500 (in which case it is 2 squads).

As pointed out, airdropped supply is aircraft capacity divided by 2000, with a minimum of 1, to get the number of supply points. There is a random factor applied to reduce airdropped supply.

If you are transporting units to an own airfield, the maximum device load cost increases to 9.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

They were also dropped in small numbers in support of operations in New Guinea. Around Buna or Lea IIRC.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
morejeffs

Post by morejeffs »

And they fought (but not were dropped) on Guadalcanal...Battle of Edson`s Ridge if I remember correctly..
that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”