What may be a dumb question

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

aoffen

What may be a dumb question

Post by aoffen »

I am trying to work out whether it is possible to play WIF by email. I see hotseat is up and multiplayer netplay is coming at some point, but is 2 player PBEM possible at this stage?
Regards
Andrew
graf spee

RE: What may be a dumb question

Post by graf spee »

Look in this thread.
tm.asp?m=3503968

There are some guys playing PBEM

Bob
aoffen

Post by aoffen »

So, can I deduce from this that PBEM does work, but all the interactions between players during the turn make it impractical - or at least very time consuming?
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Correct. Which is why they stopped.
aoffen

Post by aoffen »

Bugger :(
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

a pure email game of World in Flames would be difficult, but not impossible. the game is designed for player interaction during each other's moves, so you have to work around that in various ways.

the quartet of players trying MWiF via Dropbox looks promising.

personally, I would suggest a mix of techniques, including text messages between the players, and die rolls from a server with MWiF manual dice override feature perhaps. even a pure Hotseat game would get challenging at points. it would also help to have an opponent who works on their decision making in advance, rather than only when you can be in touch with them. that would be the biggest key. aborb the map, make your decisions ………. all ahead of Time.
JagWars

Post by JagWars »

I do not know if this will help, but a few of my mates and I played the old computer WiF using instant messaging. We all agreed to be at our computers at the same time. When a response was needed from an opposing player, an email of the game file would be sent to the other player followed by a text message requesting his response. He would then open the file, decide whether to respond or not and relay his response back by text message, and so on so that it essentially became a FtF game without all of us being present at the same location.

Return to “World in Flames”