All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter colors

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

WildCatNL

All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter colors

Post by WildCatNL »

(July 10, 2014 - last update)
I've redone _all_ 27 Red Storm maps _again_, with a whole bunch of improvements, and a web page providing samples and more detail. Download them here.

Sample of a full map (Red Storm 9 aka Hameln, used in the Pied Piper Scenario, 'Summer' theme):

Zoom-in on a map (Red Storm 1, 'Summer inverted' theme):

Available for download here are:
- summer maps (27 maps), lighter-is-higher elevation colors
- summer 'inverted' maps (27 maps), darker-is-higher elevation colors
- winter maps (27 maps)
- printer-friendly black & white .jpgs of all 27 maps, for note taking / sketching your own plans and enemy CoAs

Image Image

Features
- 1km grid lines, to make judging distances easier (as in Flashpoint: Germany 1985)
- clear elevation differences, with contour lines, clear steps between hexes, relief shading, field and forest colors being different for each elevation level, and simple dark to light elevation color coding*: higher-is-brighter
- road names (in addition to town names), to match the briefing and to make it easier to formulate and memorize your plans
- three types of roads are drawn on the map: highways (A##), major roads (N##) and minor roads (L/K/St), with larger roads being wider. Highways have their name on blue shields, major roads on yellow shields.
- so-called "clear" terrain is drawn to feature some brushes and trees, making it more obvious that this type of terrain it is harder to move through and to see through than the "fields" terrain. (The FC:RS manual says: "[t]hese tiles are not really "clear" but they have a small amount of rolling hills, some trees, field and buildings".)
- consistent styling for all maps.
*: Except for the 'Summer inverted' theme, which features light-to-dark elevation colors, as requested by the community.

Change log:
2014 07 08: Labeled virtually all streams on all 27 maps, since these play a key role in battles and AARs. Updated printer-friendly maps with the urban 'perimeter blocks'.
2014 06 26: Render a 20 pixel margin around the map, with hex grid coordinates, for a paper map "look".
2014 06 10: Represent towns and cities as a mesh of urban 'perimeter blocks', with irregular town shapes. Reduce blurring.
2014 04 05: Changed representation of "mixed" aka "clear" terrain to tree clumps (if no road nearby) and tree lined roads (if nearby road). Added subtle large soft shading behind hills. Toned down elevation color blending of forests since hill shades made elevation more clear.
2014 03 24: Introduced 'Summer inverted' theme with darker-is-higher elevation coding. Tweaked elevation colors for Summer themes so all colors derive from green. Render trees with more highlights and shades. Draw (metric) map scale in bottom left corner.
2014-03-17: Updated to match 2.03a. Smoothened sides of rivers (not streams), hills, and roads using splines. More accurate roads.
2014-02-20: Updated to match 2.03. Fix bug in hex outline, and added some pertubation to the hex outline for a more organic, less "hexy" look. Improve map borders (notably streams running along border).
2014-02-08: Blend forests and fields with elevation base color so elevation is more prominent. Improved road network (by scanning the original .png file). Change road coloring to Google maps style orange/yellow/white. Use satellite image backdrop for fields. Smaller font size for labels, since maps are being used zoomed-in. Gray urban houses to contrast with red rural houses. Reduced number of road lables. Change file format to 8bit/channel for smaller file sizes. Smoothen/blur most of map to show fewer jaggies when zoomed-in. Printer-friendly maps added.
2013 12 31: Initial version

William
William
On Target Simulations LLC
WildCatNL

RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter colors

Post by WildCatNL »

And this is what winter looks like:

Attachments
NM_ASDawn..Light1.jpg
NM_ASDawn..Light1.jpg (895.05 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
William
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Sweet. Are they generated from the existing map data? You mentioned Desert terrain. Are you planning to do more and if so would you need existing FC:RS maps to use to "convert"?
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

These maps are generated from a .fp9 map data file and a hand-made data file describing the road network and map borders. The pain-in-the-behind is the road network, and there I need to improve.

If the desert maps you're thinking of don not contain dense road networks, it shouldn't be a problem for me to render these, provided you give me a .fp9 file and some real map data for reference.
I've been thinking about doing a 1973 Yom-Kippur (Sinai) map from scratch, but haven't found the time yet. This game would be great to model that theater.

William
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Very nice! [&o]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: W1ll14m

These maps are generated from a .fp9 map data file and a hand-made data file describing the road network and map borders. The pain-in-the-behind is the road network, and there I need to improve.

If the desert maps you're thinking of don not contain dense road networks, it shouldn't be a problem for me to render these, provided you give me a .fp9 file and some real map data for reference.
I've been thinking about doing a 1973 Yom-Kippur (Sinai) map from scratch, but haven't found the time yet. This game would be great to model that theater.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything yet I just noticed you mentioned desert terrain and then wondered how the new maps were generated to get an idea of what was going to be needed.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

For anyone interested, I went ahead and edited the direct file links for the OP's 1st post below;

- summer maps (260 MB download, 27 .png files): http://www.cgf-ai.com/binaries/flashpoi ... summer.zip
- winter maps (260 MB download, 27 .png files): http://www.cgf-ai.com/binaries/flashpoi ... winter.zip
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Very nice. Interesting look with the map grid overlay instead of the hexes.

The game will accept an almost endless variety of map graphics. I'm sure we've just begun to see the graphics that can be applied to the game.

I look forward to seeing what the desert maps would look like.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
22sec

Post by 22sec »

Any plan on making your render tool available to the rest of us?
Flashpoint Campaigns Contributor
https://twitter.com/22sec2
ETF

Post by ETF »

Second for a desert map......Iran, Syria, Iraq all kinds of great scenarios to re-create.
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
ETF

Post by ETF »

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce

For anyone interested, I went ahead and edited the direct file links for the OP's 1st post below;

- summer maps (260 MB download, 27 .png files): http://www.cgf-ai.com/binaries/flashpoi ... summer.zip
- winter maps (260 MB download, 27 .png files): http://www.cgf-ai.com/binaries/flashpoi ... winter.zip

Hard to install just copy over the files?
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: ETF
ORIGINAL: Double Deuce

Hard to install just copy over the files?
No sure how he has them set up, I just converted the links W1ll14m posted in the beginning of the thread so people could have easier access.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

You would need to only use one "set" at a time in the Maps folder. I would place maps in sub-folders and copy over the ones I want to use. I would also copy/more the originals into a sub folder if you want them later.

WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

You would need to only use one "set" at a time in the Maps folder. I would place maps in sub-folders and copy over the ones I want to use. I would also copy/more the originals into a sub folder if you want them later.

It would be nice if the game could enable to the user to load an alternative map bitmap file upon scenario selection. Preferably with a file dialog using the original file name as mask. This would allow multiple sets of map graphics to be installed in (mod) folders.
Today, the problem is that the relation between scenario briefing and map file isn't obvious (I still haven't figured out which scenario is using the FPC Interactive Map.png), so you'd have to copy all png files, just to be sure you see summer / winter / whatever map.

IIRC, the game already supports loading custom unit graphics this way.
William
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian
Interesting look with the map grid overlay instead of the hexes.

I agree. Personally I have a difficult time wrapping my mind around the 500m hexes. Grid squares like TacOps, fine. 250m hexes like PB/PL/AIW, fine. But the 500m hexes? Meh. It works, but maybe a simple toggle for hex grid vs 1000m grid square overlay could be considered as a furture game feature??
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I'm not sure how much work a hex grid vs square grid would be to make happen. When we discussed just toggling labels I was told that was a big deal. I'll put that on the Wish List though and we'll see.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I'll just say the 2.X game engine is hex based. It would be a whole new deal to go squares again. That doesn't mean you can't make maps with squares on them, you just have to know movements are still in hex style as are locations for objects on map.

WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

@Double Deuce:
Thanks for creating proper links.

A desert map currently looks like this. The fields can easily become more transparent, and the trees / brushes can be rendered in less vibrant green, to make the map look more arid.

William

Attachments
NS_ASBlackHorse1.jpg
NS_ASBlackHorse1.jpg (1017.06 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
William
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Nice! I think the green looks ok since an arid map would likely have less trees overall when the base map is created and you wouldn't get large patches all together like you rendering the current maps.
Paulus Pak

Post by Paulus Pak »

Did You by any chance changed the destroyed units crosses? It is a screenshot from my ongoing pbem game (that's why some vital info boxes are whited out ;-) ), crosses in the eastern part of Emsburen are all blue, but for 100% they were not my units but soviet - so they should be red. Looks like the change occured during the game, after I copied Your map files, because there is one red cross (northernmost square row, second from the left square) indicating soviet unit destroyed early in the game. All later soviet victims appear in the blue.

Attachments
crosses.jpg
crosses.jpg (245.19 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
Pawel
A wargamer from Poland

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”