Interesting poll BBC

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

bairdlander2

Interesting poll BBC

Post by bairdlander2 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-25496299funny the country people see as biggest threat to world peace is also where most people would like to live if they wanted to immigrate away from their home country[:D]Happy New Year
Hertston

RE: Interesting poll BBC

Post by Hertston »

Makes sense. After all, the country least likely to get bombed by the US is, erm.. the US. No votes in it. [;)]

Amazed New Zealand doesn't figure on that list (the 'would like to live' rather than 'threat to world peace', obviously [:D]). I'd emigrate there like a shot if I could (and they'd have me).

Happy New Year - and peace - to all.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ROFLMAO

Saudi Arabia IS in that list [:D]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Its a BBC poll. Don't expect anything other than left wing, anti-American bias... [8|]

Two questions spring to mind though:

Why would anyone not choose New Zealand?

Why is the UK not on the list? They obviously didn't ask anyone from the old Eastern Bloc countries.....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

Warspite I think you had better clean your right wing anti BBC tinted glasses and look again as the UK is on the lists.

Biggest threat poll UK is at the bottom, 1% no surprise here all we can do these days is oppress our own people and try to scare some Eastern Europeans off from coming over to do all the jobs none of the Brits want to take anyway.
Places where people want to live poll UK in the middle 4% along with France and Germany again the only ones surprised by this would be UKIP, BNP and the Tory's.

[8|]
"Personal isn't the same as important"
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Otto von Blotto

Warspite I think you had better clean your right wing anti BBC tinted glasses and look again as the UK is on the lists.

Biggest threat poll UK is at the bottom, 1% no surprise here all we can do these days is oppress our own people and try to scare some Eastern Europeans off from coming over to do all the jobs none of the Brits want to take anyway.
Places where people want to live poll UK in the middle 4% along with France and Germany again the only ones surprised by this would be UKIP, BNP and the Tory's.

[8|]
warspite1

A couple of things:

a) You are right, I missed the UK in the first poll - they obviously did ask the Eastern Europeans [:D]
b) The fact that we are seen as a threat by anybody tells you all you need to know about the people that commissioned this poll and the people that were canvassed [8|]
c) Please do not start with the UKIP, Tory rubbish - and certainly not the BNP. That sort of response (where any comment about immigration is met with cries of Nazi) is what got us into the mess we are in in the first place - as the Labour crowd now readily admit.

OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

Firstly three things are more than a couple. [;)]
but in response.

a) Nuff said.
b) Maybe because a few deluded ones of us both of the right and left still think we are a world power with a global voice worth listening too.
C) though you would see what I was getting at which wasn't what you inferred back, I was highlighting the scare mongering lately by these party's about the UK being a soft touch and thousands poring through all the rest of Europe just to come and live off the state without contributing anything. It's got bog all to do with racism or Nazis just misinformation and in-tolerance which left and right are good at equally despite the fact that the majority the UK are all immigrants at one time of another.

Anyway a happy new year to you all, where every you live or your views.
"Personal isn't the same as important"
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

With all due respect to New Zelanders... because it's basically in the middle of nowhere? [:)]

Along with Denmark, NZ is the least corrupt country in the world. Goes to show it really has to be a fine country with a sane society and responsible citizens [8D]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Those darn Germans, I still see they are considered a threat to world peace!
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

I too think that it's a good thing that all that business with the Nazis was dealt with 70 years ago so that the youth of today can lie in their pajamas, work on the advancement of human rights and the distribution of affordable healthcare, particularly to the guy on the right who would be 90+ years old by now.

Certainly no one deserves to be thrown into war and it's abject lack of redeeming qualities just for the sake of living up to some vague notion of masculinity.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Theres no 'vague notion of masculinity' when you're wearing a onesee.

What I see is some smug little puke pushing ideas so good they have to be forced on someone.
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Why indeed? Why doncha ask some of the myriad EnZed diaspora out there? New Zealand is insular, isolated and has its own very significant problems-political, social, monetary and otherwise. By no means are they (or any other country on that or any other list) a paradise, devoid of suffering, want or justice. Their tax base can be usury (much akin to several Western European countries), their property rights impenetrable.

It says a lot for a poll if people select a place to emigrate that they've never visited before. Maybe it says that people who so respond in polls are escapists, incapable of cogent thought.

Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

It says a lot for a poll if people select a place to emigrate that they've never visited before. Maybe it says that people who so respond in polls are escapists, incapable of cogent thought.

Odd comment for an American. Surely the vast majority of immigrants to your own country (or at least those who had any choice in the matter) were exactly such people?!

Most people who emigrate are trying to 'escape' something or other, be it poverty, lack of opportunity to maximise their talents, or annoying relatives. Dreamers as well maybe, but that hardly disqualifies their capacity for cogent thought.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Polls-schmolls, the actual immigration stats tell the true tale!

Once you get the .pdf opened, do a Ctrl-F on "Table 23.3" (p. 397).

In 1970, the top 10 destinations for international immigrants (see columns on leftish of table) accounted for 56.2% of all the immigration in the dataset, with U.S. accounting for 11.9% of the total.

In 2000, the total for those top 10 was down by 1.8% (to 54.4% of the global total) but the U.S. portion was nearly double what it was in 1970 at 20% of the global total.

So while the total proportion of global immigrants going to the most popular of destination countries has overall dropped for most countries, it has increased dramatically for the U.S.

As of 2000, the total amount of the global international immigrant population immigrating to the U.S. is nearly three-times as much in the 2nd place country in the list (20.0% in U.S. vs. 7.6% to Russian Fed).

The number 3 on the list Germany claims 21% as much as the U.S. (4.2%).

I don't know what the rest of the world is smoking, but out of all the people globally who feel inclined to immigrate to a new country of residence and whom are able to do so (and documented) a distinct majority prefer to go to the U.S. despite the fact that it has some of the most stringent immigration boundaries and involves (except for Latin America) a long trans-oceanic journey.

Actually, I wonder if these stats changed dramatically in the post-9/11 period . . .
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel
Theres no 'vague notion of masculinity' when you're wearing a onesee.

What I see is some smug little puke pushing ideas so good they have to be forced on someone.

Look at the eyebrows, the chin, the nose - the two men are practically interchangeable if GI Joe was wearing flannel and his opposite was the one with the helmet and the fatigues. It even makes the guy on the right look more manly by association, provided your inherent prejudices don't have anything to say about the wearing of flannel.

"Thanks, Grandpa, you fought for my freedom, now I'm going to make sure I take care of you"

Consider the alternative,

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of disappointed shells that dropped behind.

GAS! Gas! Quick, boys!-- An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And floundering like a man in fire or lime.--
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro Patria Mori
Jonathan Pollard

Post by Jonathan Pollard »

Its a BBC poll. Don't expect anything other than left wing, anti-American bias... [8|]
It's not a BBC poll, it's a Gallup poll reported by the BBC. And Gallup should be suspected of having right wing Republican bias. In 2003 its CEO, James Clifton, donated $2000 (the maximum allowed by law) to Herman Cain's run for the Georgia Senate.
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

The Illuminati has been and still is the most dangerous threat to world peace for more than a hundred years.
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Ethan Krupp is an operative for Orginizing For America. In his own words he is a 'extreme leftist liberal f*** with no morals'. This community organizer in training man-child still lives with his wealthy attorney,accountant parents, still

You see, this little puke silver spoon fed living in mommies basement expects young healthy people to overpay for some service when they are barely making it now. I'm talking about young people trying to make it on their own, unlike Krupp. This spoiled brat expects me and 75 million others to pay a 40% excise tax for having the audacity to have good insurance. You see, this wonderful plan supported by this non bill paying onesie clad 'extreme leftist' punishes those that were diligent and pursued either opportunities or goals of providing good insurance to their families never having to make the sacrifices himself.

More than likely, the plans will be adjusted downward, as evident by the 17% of International Foundation of Employees Benefits Plans (IFEBP) respondents to a recent survey that have already begun to do so with 40% saing they are looking into it. The number is 60% for Fortune 500 companies. Those others of you here with good plans better get ready for massive taxes and more likely some junk plan.

So don't expect me to view this smug little spoiled elitist as anything other than my enemy. His 'distribution of affordable healthcare' is downright theft, cohersion, and it hurts my financial future and the quality of healthcare for the worst. All enforced by the full power and weight of the federal government through the internal revenue service.

The man on the left was fighting against unwanted tyranny while pajama boy would install it. All from the comfort of mommas basement. So don't give me your 'inherent prejiduces'. This is a food on my table, quality of life, real world consequences issue. And on those I will not flinch.

Typing from a mobile device so apologies for my grammar and punctuatin.

Eric
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Jonathan Pollard

It's not a BBC poll, it's a Gallup poll reported by the BBC. And Gallup should be suspected of having right wing Republican bias. In 2003 its CEO, James Clifton, donated $2000 (the maximum allowed by law) to Herman Cain's run for the Georgia Senate.
warspite1

Same difference. Bottom line is, and I'm rather sad to say it, but I would not trust anything that comes out, or is reported by, the BBC.

Return to “General Discussion”