OT: The Whale Has Wings

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DSwain

OT: The Whale Has Wings

Post by DSwain »

I wondered if anyone had read this? It's a three volume work: The Whale Has Wings. It's a series of alternate histories, based around the premise of the Royal Navy having greater control over aviation in the 1930s. This is volume 3, in which a far stronger RN takes on the IJN around Malaya/Singapore.

I've just bought volumes 2 and 3 on Kindle (volume 1 unavailable) - cheap as chips, will see how they pan out. From early looks, seem to be interesting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Whale-Has-W ... +has+wings
AW1Steve

RE: OT: The Whale Has Wings

Post by AW1Steve »

I've enjoyed book 1 & 2 immensely! I'm eagerly awaiting volume 3. I bought them in the Kindle format , but may buy them in hardcover/soft cover format. Have you Tried Amazon UK?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I just bought volume 3 in Kindle format. It's really, really badly written.

Somebody should slap the author on the back of the head, and tell him to stick to one tense.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

That's the problem with modern publishing....no one has ever heard of a "proof reader". Big firms do a poor job, don't get me started on "self-published!". [:(]

Say T , I've always thought you'd make the worlds best proof reader. If I ever write a book, can I hire you? [:)]
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Gents -

Just bought all three for my kindle.

T- I can handle bad proofing if the story is good; am hoping that is the case in this instance.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Eh, the story is kinda middling, but it's submerged in a swamp of non-existant editing. He even loses tracks of what ships are sunk when; one Japanese cruiser gets sunk twice in Volume 3.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Then it is like RL history with Tokyo Rose declaring the Houston sunk multiple times!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Can't really take that seriously, either.
CT Grognard

Post by CT Grognard »

How many times did the Japanese in real life report the USS Enterprise as being sunk?

Resulted in her being nicknamed the Grey Ghost...
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

T-

A few of my kindle books have received, periodically, an updated version. I do hope that "Whale" might be edited and corrected, this is a potential advantage with ebooks.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
DSwain

Post by DSwain »

Yes, I must agree with the crit here; the books, though entertaining, are pretty poorly written. A proof reader would have caught the multiple errors in grammar and punctuation. A pretty cliched style as well. All that said, though, it's a great idea for a 'what-if' history. It's lovely to read of the RN/FAA taking out the stick to give Johnny Jap a damned good thrashing.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I'm a quarter through. Yes, it could use a good editor. But these days , even books from major publishers can claim that flaw. I found all three to be imaginative , end thoroughly fun "mind candy". Scholarly works? Not hardly. But fun. Take them for what they are. They are not Gibbon's, they are not Morrison. They are not even Turtledove. But for a cheap , what if? time killer? I've had worst. And truthfully , I've enjoyed them. Even if they do credit the Prince of Whales with 15" guns. Even Tom Clancy once credited the Iowa class with 8". [:D]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

It's really bad. And "others don't do it either" is no excuse for it.

There might be an interesting story underneath, but I just don't care about it when it's covered in shite.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”