Browser based WiTE?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

innocent_bystander

Browser based WiTE?

Post by innocent_bystander »

Have you guys considered going into that direction? I think you would bring the game closer to a lot of players. A free to play with optional premium subscription is the most successful business model in the gaming industry right now. Whats your though about it?
carlkay58

RE: Browser based WiTE?

Post by carlkay58 »

The programming would need to run on dedicated servers - the structure of the code would have to change drastically. I don't know if it would be worth it as Matrix Games and 2by3 do not have any current products that would be similar. Programming it to be browser based is a different set of programming skills and, as mentioned above, would require a server farm which raises the costs drastically as this becomes a regular expense beyond the program research and development.

It would be difficult to do, although you are correct that it would probably broaden its appeal and access.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

No. Just...no. This ain't no trashy MMO or League of Legends. Totally different demographics and target audience.

You'll be taking my WITE from my hard drive over my dead body. Microtransactions can bite me. This baby is paid for forever.

The place where I think WITE is leaving money on the table is Steam (this is true of many Matrix products.) There you could sell some more games, especially if they dropped the price.

WitE Alpha Tester
innocent_bystander

Post by innocent_bystander »

Well it could be client based too for what it matters. The point is, there is a cronic lack of quality MMO strategic games. I mean... a quality strategic game like WiTE that you can play any time with thousands of other players. I know it's possible to play WITE against human players but the player base is not that big + its kinda slow to arrange everything.

I was looking for a WITE style mmo browser/client game and couldnt find anything even remotely close.

I think free to play mmo with premium subscription is the way to go in the future. Because pirates cant redistribute it and players are more likely to pay for premium if they are able to try it out for free first. So far i have bought something from every play for free game.

Just a thought.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

I hear you on wanting to see a larger player base, but very much doubt that moving to a server based model with subscriptions or microtransactions is the way to do this. I would flatly refuse to pay a subscription for a game of this sort. I want to own it outright and not be essentially renting it. The free to play business model also introduces a lot of compromises to game design, imo.

This is a niche product and the number of people interested in it is pretty limited. I do think you could get more people playing it via steam, but even under the most ideal circumstances this number will never be very large.
WitE Alpha Tester
color

Post by color »

This is something I have been pondering for many years. IMHO what I think would work would be a free to play game with premium features available for small repeatable fees inicated by the player which are so small that each one is considered 'cheap' while in the long run you cash in on repeated 'buys'. Examples are instant repairs, instant construction etc.

And the game would have to be something more similar to World at War than WiTE.
WiTE is just too niche with too much of a learning curve.

Return to “The War Room”