Good Or Bad 1.40 Open Beta Patch ?

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

kirk23

Good Or Bad 1.40 Open Beta Patch ?

Post by kirk23 »

Forum members can you post any Likes or Dislikes,in respect off the 1.40 Open Beta. Your comments will be read, and any issue you raise will be addressed when testing is complete thank you in advance.
Make it so!
timc424

RE: Good Or Bad 1.40 Open Beta Patch ?

Post by timc424 »

AAAHHHGGG! The game was working fine but after I patched now I am unable to play because the game screen only shows about 1/3 of the game on my screen. I just bought the other commander Europe at war and it was doing this to me and I currently have a help ticket on it. Omg now I cant play either, can I roll the version back?
Haplo_Patryn

Post by Haplo_Patryn »

In my games i have always a CTD during the IA turn in 1915 (april-may). Any error log file to report or attach?
timc424

Post by timc424 »

No error, it just wont fit my screen. I have messed with all the screen resolutions but nothing seems to help.
battlevonwar

Post by battlevonwar »

So far, some of the pros and cons:

1. The Naval revamping really makes this a much more interesting aspect to the game, it's useful and both sides have to watch out. The one sided Naval Domination the Entente had is weakened and she must really work hard to Dominate the Seas.

2. The Presence of tech and artillery for all nations, allows for them to be useful nations aside infantry producers only

3. The modding down of Austria Hungary is more realistic and I can see this improving the game.

4. Subs matter : ) it's actually just about right so far but I will have to play it out to see how this turns out

the Cons:

1. The initial sweeping actions that took great masses of land between one side and the other is not existent at this point in the game... Any good Allied player can block the Germans in Belgium and the Germans just outside of Warsaw. In the East this is realistic but in France the real estate is too small to have such a limitation on initial sweeping combats. I think there must be some ability to replicate the feel that Paris could almost be taken or the Entente will have a freebie here

Ultimately:

Will have to play more

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Forum members can you post any Likes or Dislikes,in respect off the 1.40 Open Beta. Your comments will be read, and any issue you raise will be addressed when testing is complete thank you in advance.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Thanks for feedback interesting reading.[;)]
Make it so!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

In my current game there is a French cruiser at sea that is able to repair. Why doesn't the ship need to be in port to do that?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

ORIGINAL: battlevonwar

1. The initial sweeping actions that took great masses of land between one side and the other is not existent at this point in the game... Any good Allied player can block the Germans in Belgium and the Germans just outside of Warsaw. In the East this is realistic but in France the real estate is too small to have such a limitation on initial sweeping combats. I think there must be some ability to replicate the feel that Paris could almost be taken or the Entente will have a freebie here

Yes, I agree very much with this. I just cannot get past Brugge at all before a great wall of French, British and Belgian troops block my way.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Well that should not happen very strange.[&:]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Maybe reducing Britain's transport capacity too 2 instead of 4,would slow Britain a little early in the game,plus removing France's rail transport allocation,would hinder her blocking moves,thoughts anyone?
Make it so!
IvanGrozni

Post by IvanGrozni »

I still can't say anything as the new patch doesn't work on my PC, but...

In my opinion, you shouldn't do any changes for the next few weeks. Let the players play as it is for a while.
After that you will have much better overview of the situation and what changes are eventually needed.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I'm with you 100% on that one,no more changes for the next few weeks,just wait for feedback on what's working and what's not.Then tweak the settings where needed.[;)]
Make it so!
stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

Maybe reducing Britain's transport capacity too 2 instead of 4,would slow Britain a little early in the game,plus removing France's rail transport allocation,would hinder her blocking moves,thoughts anyone?

Yes, the transport reduction for Britain could be good although I would leave the French railways alone. I would remove the small garrison from Brugge and I am wondering whether the largest Belgian infantry unit might be replaced with another garrison unit instead (this would make the Belgians a bit easier to shift. And maybe the Belgian units could be made to stay in Belgium rather than being rotated out into France (this would have the effect of preventing too many French and British troops entering Belgium)
suprass81

Post by suprass81 »

Without British in France Entente will can easly block Germans. In 1.30 this aspect was better- you relly had to be carefull to block way to Paris. now I feel I can do this with only French units. Maybe an idea from our game with BVW- make trench tech unawailable untill 1915. It seems that Serbia can defend easly to. What do you say about this idea about trenches? Is this so unrealistick- both sides dug in after the initiall ofensives stopped. This could give a chance to reach Paris or at last further into Franc than tooday.
Also I fill little confused about so much PP but this is my personal feeling and I need to play this patch more.

For now my oppinion is: I have to play more but it looks very interesting and prommising.
stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

suprass81

make trench tech unawailable untill 1915. It seems that Serbia can defend easly to. What do you say about this idea about trenches? Is this so unrealistick- both sides dug in after the initial offensives stopped. This could give a chance to reach Paris or at last further into France than today.

The British started entrenching in mid-September 1914 so trenching could be unavailable until then.
operating

Post by operating »

1.40 overall has been pretty good vs. AI, noticed on the "mini-map", units are represented, however, some units (like Gibralter Garrison), remain unvisable, till a player moves or disbands them. The same sometimes with AI German subs (who attacked) off/near Brest.

One thing I do like is the increase of PPs.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
battlevonwar

Post by battlevonwar »

Too soon, I'd delay trenches till Winter both Serbia and France are too narrow in game terms. So you cannot fit your Armies and Cavalry through the holes in order to make breakthroughs. France and Serbia alone can halt both Empires of Germany and Austria Hungary without much effort without any help in 1914 as it is.

The sweeping combats stop at Bruges Antwerp in Belgium, ANY effective Entente commander can achieve this. Meanwhile in Serbia, the combats are frozen because of the Terrain/River and narrow hexes no matter what the CP will do in an attempt or devotion of resources. You will not now bust through Serbia without bringing in Bulgaria and neither will you have the opportunity. As a wise Entente Commander simple will fill the gaps, dig in and wait...otherwise why lose troops in fruitless offensives?

I purpose, take off Trenches at all in 1914 and see what happens. If there are heavy losses on both sides and a stalemate, it will force the British to push back the Germans in France and in Serbia well, that's a decision... Devote resources to kill and risk Russians running a muck through Austria Hungary or devote toward attacking Russia.. Where entrenchment hurts both sides equally
stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

I am only to play half way through 1915 on the Grand Campaign before the game crashes every time, but I would say that the game seems to be very unbalanced now in favour of the Entente. They seem to be able to mobilise many more units than the Central Powers and, as has been said in the post above, the Central Powers are unable to break through anywhere. My reading of WW1 is that it was in the balance as late as 1918 so this needs to be the default position in the game.
suprass81

Post by suprass81 »

Since I'm playing only multiplayer balance is most emportant for me... I'm with more balanced gameplay even if this cause to loos a little from history realism of the game.

So ther are two ways to fix this problem- one useing old gameplay wit Russia surrender conditions fixed and other small changes or to make new gamplay more ballanced. It seems that first way is easier to achive. Kirk made great job with is moust interesting but it need a loot of to be done to ballance it. New mod is great but it needs much more time (and man working on it)to make both sides able to achive victory.
stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

ORIGINAL: stockwellpete

Yes, the transport reduction for Britain could be good although I would leave the French railways alone. I would remove the small garrison from Brugge and I am wondering whether the largest Belgian infantry unit might be replaced with another garrison unit instead (this would make the Belgians a bit easier to shift. And maybe the Belgian units could be made to stay in Belgium rather than being rotated out into France (this would have the effect of preventing too many French and British troops entering Belgium)

Also, you could make the Belgian starting PP's 5 instead of 10 so that they could not build a unit on their first turn.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”