Sub warfare help / advice

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

TMP95

Sub warfare help / advice

Post by TMP95 »

I don't have much knowledge when it comes to sub type warefare / tactics.

Can I get a quick tips / advice?

Should sub run with radar / sonar ON or OFF? On briefly then off? Type of speed to move at? Should I change depths often?

Thanks.
jtoatoktoe

RE: Sub warfare help / advice

Post by jtoatoktoe »

Subs only use radar on the surface or periscope depth and you aren't gonna be running nuke powered subs on the surface. Don't wanna use active sonar in most cases as it will give away your position to anything running sonar, passive sonar is the main weapon for searching.

As for depth it all depends on the mission. If your hunting other subs you probably wanna be deep, as long as you don't cavitate you'll be fine at most speeds, but the closer you are to the surface the sooner you cavitate at speed which will tell others where you are.
TMP95

Post by TMP95 »

Thank you!
jtoatoktoe

Post by jtoatoktoe »

Yeah no problem. The general rule is the slower you go the better, but obviously you want to be able to close in on targets if you're using torpedoes and sometimes you're just going to be detected, especially by modern navies. If you think they know where you are and haven't launched weapons, you'll want to dive and change direction and speed and hope to get away, or reposition to get into a better spot to get your target.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”