OKH and supportunits

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Repsol

OKH and supportunits

Post by Repsol »

Hello...

I have started playing this game again after some time away from it.

According to some tips in this forum regarding supportunit - a good thing to do is to set the supportlevel of every
HQs except OKH to 0 and OKH to 9 to get all supportunits to move back to OKH and from there distribute them to the HQ of choiche for free. I have tried this and have a few questions...

- For me it usually takes atleast 4 turns for the majority of the supportunits to arrive at OKH. Is this what i should expect or am i missing something to make them arrive there soner ?

- When i want to send the supportunits from OKH to a corps HQ it seems to me that i have to move OKH very close to those corps HQs to be able to do it...Is this right ? whats the restrictions regarding this ?

- Is the idea of sending the supportunits back to OKH considered a good idea or should i not do this ?

any help will be apprisiated, thanks !

Gabriel B.

RE: OKH and supportunits

Post by Gabriel B. »

turn 2 , corps su move to army , army su move tO army group, army group su move to okh.
since army groups do not pack a lot of su there is little to distribute .

turn 3 , corps are empty, army su move to army group, army group to okh.
now you can distribute the assets originally asigned to armies ( lots of AAA).

turn 4, corps are empty , armys are empty , army group to okh.
now you receive the assets originaly asigned to corps ( except pioners and construction units).
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

Okh has about 60 options ( army, army group, airfleet, corps, aircorps ) to distribute su, the window only has
around 20, you need to move okh closer to eliminate some of the options you do not want .

Bad idea , imv, for 3 turns your infantry would lack artilery support .
my settings :

corps suport level 2
army suport level 0
army group suport level 0
okh suport level 1

arty 123 : 86 to corps , 37 to okh.
aaa; 100: 86 to corps , 24 to okh

all other suport units stay where they were originaly asigned .

what to do with exces arty and aaa it is up to you.
Repsol

Post by Repsol »

Gabriel B, thanks for the clarification...

Regarding step 2 with this...Do i really need to move OKH as close as i have been doing to the corps HQs to be able to send supportunits to them...10-12 hexes seems to be the limit...or am i missing something ?
Will moving OKH around deplete to motorpool in a more significant way then moving an army HQ for example ?
Repsol

Post by Repsol »

ORIGINAL: Gabriel B.

Bad idea , imv, for 3 turns your infantry would lack artilery support .

Yes. I thought that this might not be a very good idea because of the reason above...

Thanks for your assistance !
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

ORIGINAL: Repsol

Gabriel B, thanks for the clarification...

Regarding step 2 with this...Do i really need to move OKH as close as i have been doing to the corps HQs to be able to send supportunits to them...10-12 hexes seems to be the limit...or am i missing something ?
Will moving OKH around deplete to motorpool in a more significant way then moving an army HQ for example ?

If you want to sent a particular suport unit to a particular corps , yes .

I just send them to armies and let them distribute them to corps , without bothering with frontline tour.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”