How to get started?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

jcrohio

How to get started?

Post by jcrohio »

Just got the game for Christmas - know about the tutorials and videos. My question is which manual should I start with, Player Manual 1 or Rules as coded?

Probably was answered in an early forum thread but I could not find it.

Thanks
Jack
Jack
Klydon

RE: How to get started?

Post by Klydon »

Part of the question is have you played WiF in table top form before or not?

I think I got the best bang going with RAC first, but its going to be different for just about every person.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

You might be thinking of this thread from the War Room [:)]

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3476227
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: jcrohio

Just got the game for Christmas - know about the tutorials and videos. My question is which manual should I start with, Player Manual 1 or Rules as coded?

Probably was answered in an early forum thread but I could not find it.

Thanks
Jack
My suggestion, in order:

Volume 1: Preface, 2, 3.1 - 3.3, 4, 4.1, 4.1.1, 4.2.1 - 4.2.3, 7, 7.1, 7.1.1 - 7.1.3, [RAC 3], 8.1 - 8.7.1

The above sequence will give you an overview of the game, how to start a new game, the sequence of play, the first two scenarios you should play, and familiarity with the player interface and the informational forms available so you can understand the current game situation. Some of the material in section 8.7.1 should be skimmed. I included it because you should be aware of what information is available with a mouse click or two.

MWIF provides 3 ways to learn: (1) picture & text tutorials plus interactive tutorials, (2) tutorial videos, and (3) the players manuals. Since you asked about the manuals, the above is one reasonable way to go through them.

RAC is more detailed on specific rules but contains nothing about the player interface. The Players Manuals are 'friendlier' to read and cover the basic rules.

Most players started with the board game WIF, so their learning process (like mine) was to read RAW (Rules as Written) which is comparable to reading RAC. That is a harder slog in my opinion.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Thanks for the replies

Klydon - should have included this - complete novice to WIF - veteran war gamer though

Numdydar - thanks - that was exactly what I was looking for

Steve - thanks for the suggestions - I will take your advice - going through manual sections you suggested, then tutorials and videos

Thanks all
Jack
Jack

Return to “World in Flames”