I have seen the light

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

KuniworthII

I have seen the light

Post by KuniworthII »

Hey guys,

If you have'nt picked up the unity of command series yet you simply have to. Unity of command is simply one of the best wargames I've ever played. I did'nt pick it up as I thought it looked funny and games of shorter scenarios always puts me off as I prefer grand strategy. Damn was I wrong lol.

The game is a stunner with limitless potential. And the best thing is that Unity of command got lots of features that would make it perfect as a grand strategy game of world war 2. I really hope the development team of sc3 take a look at this beauty. Game mechanics really offers that "world war 2 feeling", it's so easy to understand that everyone can be off playing in 5 minutes, while at the same time oh so difficult to be good at.

So in these times, when everyone is screaming for more features, more units etc to emulate ww2. Take a step back and look at the game mechanics of unity of command. It's a great game in the same league as strategic command 1, simple interface yet it feels more ww2 than almost all competitors out there.
pzgndr

RE: I have seen the light

Post by pzgndr »

Meh, I like UoC as a nice operational level game, but I disagree that it has unlimited potential for grand strategy.  So much is abstracted already, like simple air strikes, and other stuff like naval isn't even in the game.  Even the designers are wary of extrapolating the game engine to a larger scale and scope; too much breaks down beyond the operational scenarios.  I will agree there are some nice aspects about the UI and supply modeling that work really well.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
KuniworthII

Post by KuniworthII »

It looks nice, feels right. Sure a lot of things would be needed.
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Unity of Command is a brilliant game, and its approach to its subject matter is refreshingly original.

But its approach seems more suited to an operational than a strategic game. Apart from the fact that there is no production and development, the level of complexity that would arise if you elevated unit formation and replacements to an ongoing theater level is mind-numbing: you are frequently making battalion-sized attachments and detachments, and that's the root of why I'll probably never go near another Grigsby game.

One of the reasons that Unity of Command is such a good game lies in the fact that its AI is stellar. But the key to its strong AI is that the scenarios are usually short and there aren't huge numbers of pieces on the board at any one time. The AI can handle the number of decisions it has to make and often comes up with really good solutions. Expand the scale of the game to the strategic plan and that AI might start to choke. It will be interesting to see how they handle the larger scale of their next game.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

yes i just bought it also in the sale, good price for all 3, threw in D day the longest day as well for only £20 for the lot[:D][;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”