Grand Campaign

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

Ralph1961

Grand Campaign

Post by Ralph1961 »

Anyone out there finished the Grand Campaign?
I decided to try the Army Group South route...time will tell if I made a good decision.
I am playing with Weather, Fog of War and detailed supply...getting tough to keep my units strong.
Good Game
Ralph1961

RE: Grand Campaign

Post by Ralph1961 »

I'm stuck on the Crimea scenario. Those bunkers have my units bottle necked plus I have to spend a turn to bring them up to full combat strength. Only 12 turns but I haven't been able to pull it off yet.
tombo

Post by tombo »

update...[:)]
Ralph1961

Post by Ralph1961 »

Real life has inter feared again!
I'll try to get through Crimea again in the next couple of days. I need something that can break through those bunkers fast!
With a demo and sale priced its a great "lite" game to pick up.
gdrover

Post by gdrover »

Hi Ralph,
I just finished the Crimean scenario in the campaign. The trick, I think, is to have some good artillery. I had three units of good artillery (two with a range of 3 and one with a range of 2), and they really broke down the enemy bunkers quickly. I also had 2 Tactical bombers and a fighter. These units can either soften up the enemy mobile units or finish them off once they are weak and fleeing. Other than the support units I had almost all infantry (1/2 with halftracks for mobility) and only one tank unit. This mix of forces cut through the enemy quickly and I finished the scenario in 7 turns or so.
G
GMoney
Ralph1961

Post by Ralph1961 »

Ok I am now getting back to GAW.
I managed to get through Crimea scenario, I used 3 Bombers, 3 tanks, my 1 arty along with several motorized infantry.
I have found that the best way to take on the bunkers is to place a strong infantry unit next to them and then LET THEM attack you the next turn(seems the AI always does that)they always seem to take a greater loss, then hit back with arty and or airpower then the ground unit to take out the bunker.
I will try to get to the next scenario in the next few days.
I am still a little "fuzzy" on upgrades and bringing units up to full strength. I think my confusion is based on part that I have played around with Panzer Corps and if I recall in PC you can replace lost steps for free in between scenarios( of course experience goes down) which you cannot do in this game.
Also there is variation in the path that you choose to Conquer Russia. I am trying the Southern approach. It seems that in this game there isn't a linear approach, just because you beef up a unit near the end of a scenario in hopes it will be available and ready to take on the USSR in the next scenario guess what? It isn't in the pool to choose from!! My guess is that it will be around sometime down the road.
Its turning into a real challenge to keep units up to strength and keep them supplied.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,

this thread was chosen because it already contains some talk about the huge Arkangelsk-Astrakhan campaign.

In the next update there will be an "Hungarian option" in 1942 in which you can get the 2nd Hungarian Army to the Voronezh offense.

Ralph Harpers problem of being left with no formidable combat force at that scenario lead to the idea.

If there are any other things you like to be changed or being added to the 37 scenarios, let us know.

Attachments
HungarianOption.jpg
HungarianOption.jpg (266.94 KiB) Viewed 124 times
terminator

Post by terminator »

Hello,
It pleases to play with nations minors.
Thanks
Ralph1961

Post by Ralph1961 »

I'm playing another campaign....on the Stalingrad scenario. I have learned several lessons.
When upgrading troops you have to think ahead, you will need mobile units so make sure you get half tracks then whenever you can upgrade with extra supply and ammo. I have tried the reduced replacement cost upgrade but I don't think its worth it.
Also stay focused on the briefings, I have found that capturing secondary objectives just don't pay
I'm looking forward to version 1.07 and hopefully a DLC.
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

It may be a good idea not to finish a scenario too early as you get points for each move.

Secondary targets depend on the costs to take them. If a target costs more resources than it brings, it is not worth taking.

Artillery has always been the god of war and still is. "A good general who moves his troops well can achieve much in the first days; but when the great battle starts he will be punished if his artillery is not strong enough." Napoleon
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”