Getting Started in 5/42 Scenarios

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Moose

Getting Started in 5/42 Scenarios

Post by Moose »

Been trying to play the 5/42 start grand campaigns, but can't get past the Coral Sea time frame without the Japanese controlling Port Moresby and devastating the carrier task forces in the battle. Last time, they even took Efate. Any tips at getting past this time frame with a close to historical outcome? The main issue seems to be that rather than back off at the point the Japanese did historically, they keep pouring it on harder.

What I'd really like to see is a campaign that started on the eve of the Solomons campaign, or even a small scenario that covered the entire Solomons campaign and allowed for the Japanese to make a decisive stand rather than trickle in the materiel as they did historically.
Reg

RE: Getting Started in 5/42 Scenarios

Post by Reg »

Deleted... didn't answer the question. [:(]

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
tomed63

Post by tomed63 »

Just a suggestion that you might try; I read this in a 2009 topic.
Start a new game
Set to both computer
Select your campaign
Set AI difficulty to historical
Set turns to continuous
Set combat summary and combat animation off
Set delays to minimum
Start the campaign; select end of turn on Japanese screen, Select end of turn on allied screen, push space bar
when campaign starts (to turn any delay off)
Let it run until you get to the date you want to start your new scenario.
Save scenario with new name. exit game, start game and set selection to Japanese computer.
Set your game up as normal
ENJOY
derhexer

Post by derhexer »

Well, you could play head-to-head and make the Japanese behave the way you want them to. But, what's the fun in that?
Chris
(Did you ever stop to think and forget to start?)
tomed63

Post by tomed63 »

Not head to head, but both on computer until the game reaches the date that he wants, early 1942
derhexer

Post by derhexer »

Just a suggestion that you might try; I read this in a 2009 topic. Start a new game Set to both computer Select your campaign Set AI difficulty to historical Set turns to continuous Set combat summary and combat animation off Set delays to minimum Start the campaign; select end of turn on Japanese screen, Select end of turn on allied screen, push space bar when campaign starts (to turn any delay off) Let it run until you get to the date you want to start your new scenario. Save scenario with new name. exit game, start game and set selection to Japanese computer. Set your game up as normal ENJOY

I tried that once. Set the game for Both Computer. Loaded a campaign that started on 12/8/41. Started it running and went to bed. When I got back after church and lunch it was June 1942.

That Allied carrier forces were patrolling west of Perth, while that Japanese carrier forces were at anchor in Tokyo. Java and New Guinea were in Allied hands, while that Japanese had a large force in they Aleutians.

The AI is not that smart and tends to go a little cockeyed.

But, give it a try.
Chris
(Did you ever stop to think and forget to start?)
Moose

Post by Moose »

Yeah my first attempt at that ended in the Japanese taking a whole lot of bases in the SW and S Pacific that made it look disastrous.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I HOPE to get an RA Campaign Scenario going with an April 1, 1942 start.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”