First months of the war?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Txema

First months of the war?

Post by Txema »

Is WitE now (patch .12) a good simulation of the first months of the war, let's say until the end of December 1941?

What is your opinion on how WitE simulates that period of the war with the latest beta patch?

Thanks for your help !

Txema
Peltonx

RE: First months of the war?

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Txema

Is WitE now (patch .12) a good simulation of the first months of the war, let's say until the end of December 1941?

What is your opinion on how WitE simulates that period of the war with the latest beta patch?

Thanks for your help !

Txema

Until 1v1=2v1 is removed its very poor right now.

It is literally an I win button as it is possible for the SHC side to win 54 of 54 battles in July 1941, which is completely unhistorical.

That is vs 1, 2 or even 3 infantry in lt woods.

tm.asp?m=3492242

If you are playing the AI it is the best, there is nothing close to it in any game.

If your playing a new player vs new player the game is amazing.

Only the expert players ( Russian side ) know how to push the I win button and I expect seeing 2by3 track record on exploits that 1v1=2v1 will be removed as they have removed all the other I win buttons in the past.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

For many reasons, WitE is very good for a broad scale WWII Russia conflict. The fun is not its perfection, but its depth of detail. Pelton's assessment is about right. If you can give the time to make the moves, you get pretty good battle simulations. AI isn't so dumb, either. As much as I need for just fun.

As a game, I've found that the detail takes more time than I want to give to enjoy play. Developers could gen up some improved player processes to speed up turns. This forum has provided some interesting insights to me that have enhanced the fun.

Easy to recommend it to fans of the conflict, either side.
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

Pelton:

I honestly have no clue as to why you are saying this... From 6/41-6/42, the Russian player is totally outgunned, outmoralled, and completely steamrolled by any German player that knows how to use the German logistics advantage to streak through Russian lines and isolate and neuter the entire Russian army in that period. You have demonstrated this numerous times and posted your AARs to prove it. In fact, without HRs at least in the South to prevent the Lvov Fantasy Steamroll, the Russian side has little chance to survive 1942 or at least is so mauled that a Russian comeback in 1943 is unlikely.

The fact is, there aren't enough combat effective troops in the Russian army early in the game to afford them to attack the Germans to any significant extent. Oh, you can do it, but it is suicide against a competent German player.
"Real Life" is a game... THIS is war !
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

Gamesaurus, haven't you noticed Pelton's game against sapper? And Bozo's also demonstrated that it works. The combat engine benefits the masses, so even with apparently lower CV you can win battles. I would suggest you ask the better Soviet players for strategies, get a few more games under your belt, before declaring something that's simply not true. Only an inexperienced Soviet player against a top-notch Axis one is going to get steamrolled. All skills being equal on a high level, the Soviet more often than not will manage to stifle the Axis by August 1941. There are more than enough examples of this.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

GR - the Soviets are now capable of building a reserve of higher morale units and then use them to counterattack in the T4 - T6 period. This counterattack can completely stop the Axis for long enough that the Soviets have built another reserve that can be committed to battle and stop another drive. The only place the Soviets can't really stop the Axis is in the south - the terrain is just not there to be able to hold the Axis bottled up for long. This is historical, after all the historic battle of Smolensk went from T3 through T14 in the center, and it was only after MUD that the Axis did Operation Typhoon and made the advance to the city limits of Moscow.

The problem is that the Axis and Soviets do not fight as much as they did historically. Some of the Soviet players are finding that you CAN defend forward in the center and north, but the south remains an instant run away for the Soviets. If the two sides fight historically, then the casualties on both sides are higher, and the Soviets find it harder and harder to train up morale (since the Soviet NM reduces by 1 each month in 41) and then the Axis can punch through in either the central or north and cause more Soviet losses.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Believe that the point of the game is not to force historical outcomes but to give the players a chance to outthink history. And to do so with the most realistic data possible.

Agree with many others that the early (and later) forcing rules are disappointments, but after all, what're developers to do?
governato

Post by governato »

ORIGINAL: SigUp

Only an inexperienced Soviet player against a top-notch Axis one is going to get steamrolled.

That would be pretty historical no?

My impression is that the game is at its best/most fun when the most experienced player plays the Axis. The Red Army has some room for mistakes and can learn along the way.
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

ORIGINAL: SigUp

Gamesaurus, haven't you noticed Pelton's game against sapper? And Bozo's also demonstrated that it works. The combat engine benefits the masses, so even with apparently lower CV you can win battles. I would suggest you ask the better Soviet players for strategies, get a few more games under your belt, before declaring something that's simply not true. Only an inexperienced Soviet player against a top-notch Axis one is going to get steamrolled. All skills being equal on a high level, the Soviet more often than not will manage to stifle the Axis by August 1941. There are more than enough examples of this.

Yes. I have noticed it and, if you read my response on that AAR, you will see that I called it what the English, I believe, refer to as "Bollocks". A tainted AAR.

Yes, the Russians can attack, but doing so exposes them to being isolated and sacked and there is nothing a Russian player can do to change that, other than simply retreating to avoid it. These "reported" series of Russian 1-1 mass attacks resulting in victories EVERY time (94% anyone?) are the result of less than honest turn processing in my opinion.
"Real Life" is a game... THIS is war !

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”