Move Order + 'attacks'

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Mahatma

Move Order + 'attacks'

Post by Mahatma »

Does anyone else think that the 'attack' box should be replaced by 'probe'?. The reason being that attacks are conducted until the enemy is driven off the objective, while probes can bunker down if there is too much resistance. I personally would not want units attacking after being given a move order, but instead probing; light resistance would be removed but heavy resistance would cause the unit to bunker down and then try to bypass.

The units orders would be:
1. ORDER move + 'attack'.
2. IF enemy THEN probe.
4.1 IF success THEN move.
4.2 IF failure THEN bunker down.
5. IF bunker down THEN order move + 'bypass'

Here's an example:

Have: Socks. Deodorant. £2 gloves. Mince pies.
Want: Line formation banned until I give a specific order to use line formation. Troops that don't take lie-ins until 0800 unless ordered to never rest.
Fred Sanford

RE: Move Order + 'attacks'

Post by Fred Sanford »

Many times it will probe. I'm not sure what the triggers are, but it's a judgment call by the AI.
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: Mahatma

Does anyone else think that the 'attack' box should be replaced by 'probe'?. The reason being that attacks are conducted until the enemy is driven off the objective, while probes can bunker down if there is too much resistance. I personally would not want units attacking after been given a move order, but instead probing; light resistance would be removed but heavy resistance would cause the unit to bunker down and then try to bypass.

The units orders would be:
1. ORDER move + 'attack'.
2. IF enemy THEN probe.
4.1 IF success THEN move.
4.2 IF failure THEN bunker down.
5. IF bunker down THEN order move + 'bypass'

Here's an example:

Pg. 63 of the manual says: Attacks = when checked the force may initiate attacks on it’s own initiative. Good for clearing out resistance during an advance with limited intel, but bad if you want to make progress on a tight schedule. The default is off.
Take care,

jim
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi all,

This could easily (??)be solved by the addition of a PROBE task option . Yes, no, maybe?

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader

Hi all,

This could easily (??)be solved by the addition of a PROBE task option . Yes, no, maybe?

Rob.

Page 85 of the manual says: "A Probe is largely the same as an Attack. However, the default thresholds for Aggro and Acceptable Losses are set to Low instead of High, resulting in an increased probability that the force will exceed their casualty threshold when they meet serious opposition. In which case, you will receive an “urgent” message to that effect."

A move with a probe option would be redundant. If I'm interested in scouting a route for opposition, or fixing the location of an enemy force, I'll use a probe order.

If I'm interested in getting troops to a specific location on the map, I'll issue a move order.

The available options to the move order set the level of initiative you'll allow the force commander in accomplishing the order.

Move with no options means "get your force to the location using the selected route type and speed."

Move with the attack option means "get your force to the location but make sure the route is cleared of opposition as you get there."

Move with bypass means "get your force to the location, but reroute to avoid opposition along the way."
Take care,

jim
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

Yes the variety of orders is useful but an example is moving an armoured recon company a long distance via lots of small villages. You don't want your recon assaulting entrenched infantry in a village do you? I think it makes sense for a unit to be orders to probe in such an instance.
Want: Line formation banned until I give a specific order to use line formation. Troops that don't take lie-ins until 0800 unless ordered to never rest.
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

Yes the variety of orders is useful but an example is moving an armoured recon company a long distance via lots of small villages. You don't want your recon assaulting entrenched infantry in a village do you? I think it makes sense for a unit to be orders to probe in such an instance.

I said the boxes for a move order define the initiative the human commander wants the AI commander to use in accomplishing an order.

If the human commander doesn't want an armored recon company to attack a village along a route it's been ordered to traverse, then the human commander ought to limit the initiative of the AI commander by not checking the "attack" box.

FWIW, an armored recon company is the ideal formation for the "probe" order. It's designed to be strong enough to defend itself, and to agile enough to withdraw when confronted with superior force.

Here's what the US doctrine was for armored reconnaissance: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref ... M17-20.PDF
Take care,

jim
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

Jim:
Move with no options means "get your force to the location using the selected route type and speed."
-Hmm I should use this more often as when set to a formation the unit can avoid column formation problems (LOS, security, firepower.)

Move with the attack option means "get your force to the location but make sure the route is cleared of opposition as you get there."
-The AI seems to want to attack everything it can see. Not sure how aggro settings affect this.

Move with bypass means "get your force to the location, but reroute to avoid opposition along the way."
-Nothing to add.

So how to move a unit along a highway and get them to clear out villages without being killed or requiring human intervention?
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

Jim:
-Hmm I should use this more often as when set to a formation the unit can avoid column formation problems (LOS, security, firepower.)

-The AI seems to want to attack everything it can see. Not sure how aggro settings affect this.

-Nothing to add.

So how to move a unit along a highway and get them to clear out villages without being killed or requiring human intervention?

How much the moving force can accomplish is based on the assigned initiative is dependent on its size and composition.

If I wanted to clear villages which may hide enemy defensive positions during a move, I'd assign a move+attack order to a battalion or larger force, ideally consisting of armored, fire support, and infantry elements.

If such a combined arms formation doesn't exist in the OOB, I'd assign the move+attack to an appropriate echelon's headquarters (battalion, regiment, brigade, etc.) of the combat type I'm most interested in relocating to a new position (infantry / armor), and attach support elements as necessary to support the move+attack efficiently (e.g. main force might be an Infantry BN, with attached armored and artillery companies).

Take care,

jim

Return to “Tech Support”