supplemental art work beta

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pontiouspilot

supplemental art work beta

Post by pontiouspilot »

Can or should one attempt to download this stuff if in the middle of several games? What if the opponent does not download same?
jeffk3510

RE: supplemental art work beta

Post by jeffk3510 »

I have it.

I use beta for my own AI games, and r9 for PBEMs...

I have a different map and artwork than my team mates and opponents, and it doesn't cause any problems for anyone.

Thanks.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Thanks Jeff for your advice!
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

Yep, adding the art mods don't affect the game mechanics at all.

Purely eye candy, plus a change from black and white to color images.
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

Can't play red vs green anymore. Thanks Halsey and team!
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Where is this "eye candy" located and how does one install it, a one for one swop in a certain Art folder???
Bobdina1

Post by Bobdina1 »

The link in Halseys sig has them. I just downloaded the lot and they make a big difference in the eye candy dept. Thanks for doing this guys . The directions how to do everything is on the site as well. If I can do it anyone can.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Ok call me dumb, I down loaded them and unzipped them in the Art folder and I see no change! Am I missing something (besides a few screws topside!)?
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

To see the Air Group, Land, and ship insignia.
Two new folders must be placed in the main art folder.
These are named AlliedPatch, and JapPatch.
Then the insignia zips are unzipped there.

The TF Missions, Ground Units, Planesides and tops, and Icon replacements unzip to the main Art folder.
These overwrite the originals.

Rotating plane art unzips to the main art folder.
You will notice the plane sides starting to change on 6/42, when it gets to that date.

The insignia will not match perfectly to mods and non stock scenarios.
They will match up with all the full campaign stock scenarios.
The art that zips to the main art folder will be seen, no matter what mod or scenario is being played.

Halsey

Post by Halsey »

Here is the link to drw61's alternate Da Babes insignia replacements.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2784760
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Hi Halsey. I've done what you say in your #8 post above and it seems to have done nothing in terms of the materials that should be over written immediately. I am checking on the stock scenarios and the DBB ones as well. I do have the latest beta loaded Version 1.7.11.23u. As well as the DBB scenarios versions that were just put out (this December I believe). I've looked at your link in Post #9 and there are MANY many attachments. Does one down load these one at a time and replace them in the ship/plane folders for the original? Sorry for the confusion, I'm not well versed in this... Hal
Reg

Post by Reg »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Hi Halsey. I've done what you say in your #8 post above and it seems to have done nothing in terms of the materials that should be over written immediately.

With a couple of exceptions such as plane tops, ship sides and the icon files, all the additional artwork for a first time install is new and will not generate any 'overwrite file' messages. However if you open your art folder you will find the additional folders (full of files) will have been created by your unzip program. The additional folders should look like the list on Halseys site.
I am checking on the stock scenarios and the DBB ones as well.

The additional artwork will be visible in both DDB and stock but will be against the incorrect units if you have the wrong artwork installed for the loaded scenario (DDB or stock).

The reason for this is the artwork is linked to the slot number, not the unit in that slot. Consequently, if DDB moves a unit to another slot (or creates a new unit), the associated artwork file has to be renamed to the new slot number. The simplest way of doing this was to create a new art distribution with everything renumbered.
I do have the latest beta loaded Version 1.7.11.23u.

The executable version will make no difference as since Patch 3 all executables will display any additional artwork if present.
As well as the DBB scenarios versions that were just put out (this December I believe). I've looked at your link in Post #9 and there are MANY many attachments.

This is a limitation of the size of the files that can be posted on the forum. You will find the first file will contain the artwork for slots 1 to 10, the second will contain the artwork for slots 11 to 20, etc. They are installed in exactly the same way to the same locations and will not overwrite each other. Leaving one out will create a 'gap' in your artwork.
Does one down load these one at a time and replace them in the ship/plane folders for the original?

Yes, see above. Check the instructions and repeat for each file. The instruction to delete existing files before you start installing the new ones is to make sure there are no unwanted files left over from a previous installation (if they are not deleted or overwritten they WILL show up - and not where you expect!!)
Sorry for the confusion, I'm not well versed in this... Hal

That's OK we all have to start somewhere. Please don't hesitate to ask questions as someone will answer them.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Reg

Post by Reg »

Another way you might like to manage multiple artwork sets is to use

Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler

This freeware utility allows you to switch between artwork sets with a click of a button.

User Guide

Cheers,
Reg.

Halsey

Post by Halsey »

Good to see you up and running again Reg!
Thanks for the more detailed clarifications!

BTW, when a stock screen is overwritten dr.hal, it should ask you permission to overwrite and replace it.
Click yes, do it for all conflicts.
That's a sure sign that you are unzipping to the correct folder.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Reg (and Halsey) thanks. I hate being stupid, including stupid in front of the world, but my folders don't look like Halsey's "AE WITP Bitmap download site".
ORIGINAL: Reg

Hi Halsey. I've done what you say in your #8 post above and it seems to have done nothing in terms of the materials that should be over written immediately.

With a couple of exceptions such as plane tops, ship sides and the icon files, all the additional artwork for a first time install is new and will not generate any 'overwrite file' messages. However if you open your art folder you will find the additional folders (full of files) will have been created by your unzip program. The additional folders should look like the list on Halseys site.

On Halsey's list of folders there is Allied Planes 42, 43, etc as well as folders for Jap planes and things like that. But when I open my folder, I hae the usual and then LOTS of bit map images outside of any folder! Including (for example): A_mission, ADetail001, 002, etc, AHistory001, 002, etc, all the way through to Button1, Button2, 3A, 3AUS, etc..... You get the picture. Do these images go into a folder?
I am checking on the stock scenarios and the DBB ones as well.

The additional artwork will be visible in both DDB and stock but will be against the incorrect units if you have the wrong artwork installed for the loaded scenario (DDB or stock).

I try to play only DDB as I think it is much more challenging so how do I ensure that I have the right artwork with the right unit???? Do I check individually? Is there a guide (I see a MSWord Doc in the download that indicates numbers and associated platforms including red and blue beside the black numbering) is this the guide?

The reason for this is the artwork is linked to the slot number, not the unit in that slot. Consequently, if DDB moves a unit to another slot (or creates a new unit), the associated artwork file has to be renamed to the new slot number. The simplest way of doing this was to create a new art distribution with everything renumbered.
I do have the latest beta loaded Version 1.7.11.23u.

The executable version will make no difference as since Patch 3 all executables will display any additional artwork if present.

When I originally loaded the new artwork it did ask to replace, which I did, but again I don't see anything new, or at least not on loading the grand scenario!
As well as the DBB scenarios versions that were just put out (this December I believe). I've looked at your link in Post #9 and there are MANY many attachments.

This is a limitation of the size of the files that can be posted on the forum. You will find the first file will contain the artwork for slots 1 to 10, the second will contain the artwork for slots 11 to 20, etc. They are installed in exactly the same way to the same locations and will not overwrite each other. Leaving one out will create a 'gap' in your artwork.
Does one down load these one at a time and replace them in the ship/plane folders for the original?

I've downloaded the artwork from post 61 (?) from Dwg61 on, 39 downloads and they are unit patches I believe, what folder do they go into or do I need to assign them to individual units... and how does one go about doing this??????

Yes, see above. Check the instructions and repeat for each file. The instruction to delete existing files before you start installing the new ones is to make sure there are no unwanted files left over from a previous installation (if they are not deleted or overwritten they WILL show up - and not where you expect!!)

That's OK we all have to start somewhere. Please don't hesitate to ask questions as someone will answer them.

Thanks for trying to help, but I'm not sure I've done the right thing as I don't want to mess up my installation of the game... I know I can't hurt the play, just the look and feel.. But I'm not happy at messing things up... Hal
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

No problem, should you attempt it again here is a more detailed graphic for installation.

Attachments
artinstall.jpg
artinstall.jpg (222.11 KiB) Viewed 45 times
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

WOW!!! These are fantastic! THANKS for the help Halsey and THANKS for the beautiful art work. Two follow on questions, I didn't extract the IJNF CV Green and Gray zip files yet as I'm not sure why these say optional in terms of overwrite. What do they overwrite? Is there something special here? Second, I'm not sure what I should do with drw61's 39 files as again I don't want to mess things up..... but the colors on the map are SO much more apparent that it is amazing.

Again thanks for the assist and sorry to be such a klutz.... but it's fun to learn... I'm not dead yet!
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

The IJNAF CV Green Gray bitmaps have to be manually extracted to the JapPatch folder.
The date for overwrites are in the zips name.

It's for the JFB's that want the aircraft camo color to match the insignia as the IJNAF changed the overall camo color of their aircraft in mid 42.[:D]

drw61's files are only for DaBabes...

My stuff listed in green will be seen in all games, stock and mods.

Glad you got it, once you're done it's ready to roll.[;)]

BTW, any plane side in the dated folders can be deleted, if you don't like them.
The game will revert back to the master sides in all cases.
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

Thanks dr.hal, not everyone will like them.

I chose more natural unit and icon colors, it does away with being blasted by the red vs green stock setup.
It seemed to brighten up the whole map area.

Enjoy your game.[;)]
Reg

Post by Reg »

On Halsey's list of folders there is Allied Planes 42, 43, etc as well as folders for Jap planes and things like that. But when I open my folder, I hae the usual and then LOTS of bit map images outside of any folder! Including (for example): A_mission, ADetail001, 002, etc, AHistory001, 002, etc, all the way through to Button1, Button2, 3A, 3AUS, etc..... You get the picture. Do these images go into a folder?

These are the standard game artwork files and if you open them with a graphics viewer you will recognise them as the backgrounds/icons in game screens/menus. DO NOT delete or move these files or you will affect your game (visually anyway). As a general rule these all live in the Art folder.
I try to play only DDB as I think it is much more challenging so how do I ensure that I have the right artwork with the right unit???? Do I check individually? Is there a guide (I see a MSWord Doc in the download that indicates numbers and associated platforms including red and blue beside the black numbering) is this the guide?

I knew you were going to ask that!!! [:)]

You might like to have a look at these utilities I threw together a while ago. (the actual download link may be a post or two below)

These utilities display the INSTALLED artwork and associated scenario information in your browser window. You can then verify the currently INSTALLED graphics line up with the scenario.....

I wrote these utilities to aid the modders as the only other way to view installed graphics is via the game menus/encyclopedia - one unit at a time... [:(] Rotating artwork is even more complicated as the graphics change based on game time!!! However, anyone can use these tools to look at the new graphics and see what units they are loaded against. (The utilities extract the unit information from the scenario files). Have fun!! [:)]

When I originally loaded the new artwork it did ask to replace, which I did, but again I don't see anything new, or at least not on loading the grand scenario!

There will be some changes, you just didn't notice them....

I've downloaded the artwork from post 61 (?) from Dwg61 on, 39 downloads and they are unit patches I believe, what folder do they go into or do I need to assign them to individual units... and how does one go about doing this??????

Once again read the instructions. As these are unit patches I believe (without looking) that they are unzipped into the .../Art/AlliedPatch (or .../Art/JapPatch) folder. The filename determines which unit the graphic is assigned to (which is why the proper graphic set has to be installed) so you do not need to do anything else.

Thanks for trying to help, but I'm not sure I've done the right thing as I don't want to mess up my installation of the game... I know I can't hurt the play, just the look and feel.. But I'm not happy at messing things up... Hal
[/quote]
You're Welcome... [8D]

Cheers,
Reg.

Return to “Tech Support”