Add a new Dimension!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

rxnnxs

Add a new Dimension!

Post by rxnnxs »

What do you think about adding a new dimension to the game?
It would need three things:
A) At the start of the game invisible objects
B) In the evolution better sensors
C) Cloak devices

This way, you would have to explore the universe again and again. And you would find always more than before!
All we need is a visibility level for the different types of radiation/waveform
• visible light waves
• dark light waves
?• thought waves
• temporal waves and so on
and for each there are some levels, let ssay 1-5 (not 100 as in space empires V for instance)

Lets say there is a storm that hides ships and relics..
There are lifeforms you can not see..
Your race is invisible for some sensors, ergo: some races are invisible in the beginning!

I am sure you get what i am trying to say here.. so what do you think.
wouldn't that be a nice addition to the game?
HectorOfTroy

RE: Add a new Dimension!

Post by HectorOfTroy »

Sounds good. I guess something for DW2.

Also, they could add a missions for us to go to other dimensions as an end game, like in MOO2.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: rxnnxs
• dark light waves
?• thought waves

If you could explain what you mean by any of these, it might make for an interesting discussion. But it looks like an unnecessary and pointless complication to the game. I fail to see how these would add anything to the depth of game-play.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

I think he mean.
You research a new type of scanner who can "see" new type of discoverys you didn't saw before.
These discoverys you need to reseach/idendify first.
This can lead to a new type of resource for a new kind of ship component, or a new luxury to made your population happy.
Osito

Post by Osito »

What I'd like to see is time travel. Go back in time to the start of the game and destroy the opposition. I don't think I've ever seen that feature in a game, but I admit it would be difficult not to make it overpowered - that's before you even start on the programming difficulties.

Back on the original subject, I wonder if the OP is thinking about something like in Master of Magic, where there would a new "playing field" in a different "dimension"? I think, rather than additional dimensions, I'd prefer to see the game include several galaxies. Now, I realise that the "galaxy" we play in is not really galaxy-sized, but I'd like to see other regions of space which contain another cluster of, say, 1400 stars, but which are a vast distance away, so that they are out of range for a large part of the game, and travel to them takes a long time. I'm still not sure it would add a lot to gameplay.
Osito
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

What I'd like to see is time travel. Go back in time to the start of the game and destroy the opposition. I don't think I've ever seen that feature in a game,
Hmm i played a RTS game not long ago with a similar feature. But i can't recall the game name.

But isn't a savegame a kind of timewarp ? :-)
I think, rather than additional dimensions, I'd prefer to see the game include several galaxies.
I don't think it is about new or expanded map. It's more about to give the explorer ships a new use after they explored the whole map.
When you found something new, you didn't know or detect before, you need to research the whole map again for this.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

I don't think it is about new or expanded map. It's more about to give the explorer ships a new use after they explored the whole map.
I wish I could assign them to re-explore in search of new pirate bases and mine creep from other factions. Wouldn't want the hassle of having to rediscover the universe over and over, though.
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz
ORIGINAL: rxnnxs
• dark light waves
?• thought waves

If you could explain what you mean by any of these, it might make for an interesting discussion. But it looks like an unnecessary and pointless complication to the game. I fail to see how these would add anything to the depth of game-play.
I make it short, i have not much time right now and i hope it is thereforealso clearer:
Forget my examples about waves.
I mean just you need a level one sensor to sense level one electromagnetic waves, level 2 for a radiation of level two and so on.
there could be also other "radio waves" for instance temporal waves. they would need another sensor. a temporal sensor. also based on levels.
so if you have a brandnew sensor, lets say a EM sensor, level 3, you send out a scout to scan the universe again.
then you will find all hidden treasures, hidden planets, hidden races maybe... or just a hidden station or an old ship.. that have a level qual EM 3 or below.
wouldn't that be awesome?
and therefore we have a new dimension!
Plant

Post by Plant »

I like the way you ended with "I am sure you get what i am trying to say here" and everybody started discussing what you are trying to say.

But it looks like an unnecessary and pointless complication to the game. I fail to see how these would add anything to the depth of game-play.
This would be my position too.
You already have "hidden" ships and relics. Hidden treasures galore. They are part of the main storyline that forces you to goto certain places in a galaxy again, but in a smaller scale.

How would invisible races work?
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

ORIGINAL: Plant

I like the way you ended with "I am sure you get what i am trying to say here" and everybody started discussing what you are trying to say.

But it looks like an unnecessary and pointless complication to the game. I fail to see how these would add anything to the depth of game-play.
This would be my position too.
You already have "hidden" ships and relics. Hidden treasures galore. They are part of the main storyline that forces you to goto certain places in a galaxy again, but in a smaller scale.

How would invisible races work?
Well I think the most quite got what i wanted to say.

It was said that it would be annoying to scout more than once.. BUT:
The Universe is changing all the time, so you can not say you have seen all with one scout-job. without sensors you would not know how big the fleets in the regions are. so you also have to have ships around the galaxy all the time in game. it would not be then just looking for planets and ruins, it would be always (and hey, its automated so..) looking if something has changed, has been built/destroyed and so on. it isn't static so this is not a good argument.

You ask how it could work, concerning hidden lifeforms:
of course you would also need a cloaking device that works in this manner and also a base cloak that hides all races of one waveform against an other.
this is how it would also work for lifeforms that are in the beginning invisible (they are cloaked by their natural being. they are on a different waveform than "we" are (sending)). they also can not see the (un)normal lifeforms (our universe so to speak). but maybe they can, having the ability to see more than we (normal universe) can see.

lets compare that to a cat, that is able to see infared. of course therefore the world looks a bit different to them than to us. but here they have an advantage.
so you have a different race/lifeform that is invisible. it wouldn't/couldn't be silicoid or something like this (sending at the same frequency(s) like us therfore visible to us), but a more vivid thing, a "ghostlike" life. its out of our dimension, yet it lives besides us (our waveforms do not interfere with each other).
in the game it would use also "our" materials, at least SOME.
lets say, they need gold ;-) or something else, like women :-).
the rest they have in their dimension. it would also work vice versa. so when we can see them with the "orgonon"-sensor, we could not only talk and trade with them and so on, but mine ressources that would be of high value for sophisticated devices, i.e. some better engines, some better fuel etc.

but i do not want to make it more complicated than it already is to explain in the simple form:
we could even gain a new dimension when the cloaking and scanning devices get more levels.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

The problem is that everything worth finding to begin with is also worth finding first. That's why some people don't just set a few exploration ships to auto-explore and leave it at that but instead manually move ships from system to system in search for ruins. Now imagine doing that with 1000 systems or more. Tedius? Now imagine doing it with 1000 systems and then having to redo it several more times. Rage inducing? I think so.
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

then the automation should work properly.
and as you say people right now do it manually. so there should be an autoexplore nearest planets, right?
maybe also an auto explore: civilisations, pirates, resources and so on..

also exactly here is the interesting part: to explore it again.. i like to explore the universe. i do not want it automated. and even if on auto, it should work as it works in the game right now. of course it has to be programmed when new levels are introduced. sure thing.

i am astonished how many ppl do not like this idea at all..

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”