Running War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition in Vista

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ironhelm

Running War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition in Vista

Post by ironhelm »

Recently I purchased War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition and I have not be able to get it to run in Vista. What do I need to do to get it to run since in the product info it says it runs in Vista.

Thanks,
Mike
guytipton41

RE: Running War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition in Vista

Post by guytipton41 »

Hi Mike,

I ran under Vista for a year before upgrading to Win7 and it worked fine. Unfortunately I can't recall if I did anything special. Pretty sure my option string did not change: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1680 -py1050 -cpu2 -multiaudio -dd-sw -skipVideo -archive. I might have selected "run as admin" when I installed the game.

Cheers,
Guy
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

ORIGINAL: ironhelm

Recently I purchased War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition and I have not be able to get it to run in Vista. What do I need to do to get it to run since in the product info it says it runs in Vista.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm still running a Vista 64 bit system. What exactly isnt running? Is it from install or transfer from another computer? Are you getting error messages? If you can explain what steps you took to install (the more details, the better) we can probably get you playing shortly...
jmbraat

Post by jmbraat »

I run Vista Home Premium and have never had any trouble .. besides me.
"Conquer, or Die!"
pmelheck1

Post by pmelheck1 »

I've never had an issue with running WITP on Vista, Do you happen to have any programs running that might be causing a conflict including any antivirus programs? Does it just not start or does it give a error message or does it just stop running?
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Agreed. I have Vista as well, no issues here. I did have to set up my switches correctly for optimal performance <tip of the cap to The Mooose> but since then it runs great.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

I've been running under vista since release & no problems other than vista is like trying to get HAL to open the pod bay doors. I've been doing the beta as well w/ no problems & running no switches in either & my laptop is several years old but up to date on ms/vista/driver patches
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

One trick I recall was to install game to other folder than Program Files. Vista is anal about protecting content under that folder and it may cause problems with games. UAC (User Access Control) can also cause problems.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

ironhelm

Post by ironhelm »

Does not go past the "Setting Sail" loading screen. Message is "WIP-Admiral's Edition Executable has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Thnaks
Mike

pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

I think Sardaukar might have id'ed your problem. Make sure the install went to a folder in the root directory (such as "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific ...").
I ran with such an installation under for Vista for 4 years without a single problem (unless having KB sunk underneath you is a problem).
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

I've been getting those kind of msgs during game on my Vista lately (see my post below about CTD) Since you get it at startup, try to do a clean install again w/ the game at a root directory like pws1225/sardauker say as maybe yours was some kind of corrupted install
ironhelm

Post by ironhelm »

I uninstalled and did a reinstall to C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition and got the same error message. I uninstalled that and reinstalled to F:\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition and got the same error message. My F drive is a usb external hard drive.
EHansen

Post by EHansen »

It could be a driver or codex problem. Install the program to C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition.
Before running the program, rename the SOUND directory to NOSOUND and the VIDEO directory to NOVIDEO. If it works, rename one of the directories back and try again to see which one solved the problem. If it doesn't work????
ironhelm

Post by ironhelm »

EHansen,

Thank you so much. Renaming the VIDEO directory to NOVIDEO worked. Now I have a lot of reading to do.

Thanks to the rest of you for offering your assistance.

Mike
EHansen

Post by EHansen »

Good, you really don't need the videos anyway, so there is nothing more to do.

Return to “Tech Support”